Thread: rate the products of 05/06

rate the products of 05/06

I've only busted SP Authentic this year so far, and I have to say it is pretty disappointing odds wise. I missed completely with the boxes this year. The cards however are extremely gorgeous, especially the rookie cards. It's a shame that the only way to get rookie cards is by getting the /1299 or the /999. the lack of parallels for the base makes it less enticing to open up more boxes as you get a complete set of base every box.

I give it a 5.5/10.

Can't wait for my box of topps chrome and luxury box.

What would you rate the products you've been breaking this year?
    Last edited by halekulani; 06-16-2006 at 09:55 PM.

I would have to say my favorite set this year is Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects (which is the reason I am going for the master set). This caught my eye because there are 3 base sets in 1 pack and being a set collector I love this. Add that along with the 3 insert parallel sets (refractor, xfractor and gold refractor) and you have a great challenge to put a master set together.

I think the Jersey and Auto cards are nice, not too over done and the ratio of inserts per box makes it great to collect. You can get about 75% of a base black bordered set in a box, which can be a little hectic but makes it fun to trade for those cards. Also, the base rookies aren't an insert so you have the chance of getting some good rookie cards out of every pack instead of just 2-3 rookies per box.

The card look is pretty basic, but I like how about 85% of the card is a picture, and the back of the card has some great player info. I personally do not like just a picture of player on a card without any background, or just stats on the back.

I give this set a 7.5/10 because I think it is ideal for collectors of any age. I would have given it an 8 but I think the price per pack is a little too high for the product offered ($3.00-$3.50 in my area, I think it should be $2.00 or $2.50) and because there could be a little imporvment in the card quality. Also there are A LOT of Jerseys and Autos, making it tough to put a set together, but that much more of a challenge.

Lastly, Upper Deck products have turned me off in recent years due to their rookie scarcity and bad insert ratio. Being a set collector I think Topps does a great job in delivering a product that you dont have to buy 10 boxes just to put together a base set with rookies or get a decent insert.

ALF

i have busted many boxes this year and my favorites r sp authentic, spx, topps chrome, rookie debut, and bowman
    i would give them a rating of 7-8/10

got the shipment in the mail today along with my 05/06 topps chrome hobby box. haven't opened it yet because i ran out of sleeves and top loaders.

let me tell you...luxury box is one of the best boxes to buy BY FAR. the packaging is excellent, there's a wide variety of inserts and parallels, and the card design is excellent. definitely the bang for your buck product.

first, i got zero dupilicates on the base cards. definite plus.

channing frye rc (tier reserved #/430)
    salim stoudemire (season ticket)
    vince carter (box seat auto #/224)
    jay-z (industry anchor, celebrity worn jeans patch #/279 (box topper card))
    mehmet okur (mezzanine #/350)
    joe johnson (loge level #/200)
    chris webber, andre iguodala, allen iverson (trinity GU #/250)
    ben gordon (season ticket)
    josh howard (season ticket)
    marvin williams rc #/999
    tim duncan (machine GU #/225)
    pj brown (mezzanine #/350)
    joey graham rc (tier reserved #/430)
    ray allen (season ticket)
    jason maxiell (main reserve #/100)
    ike diogu rc (#/999)
    david lee rc (mezzanine #/350)
    emeka okafor, dwight howard (one on one, dual GU #/225)
    chris bosh, mo pete, villanueva, joey graham, arujo (triple double, #/193)

definitely rating this a 9/10

luxury box is way overpriced. You buy the wade auto from that set for chaper then a whole box

i don't know of any other box that gives you 5 GU's and an auto for 90 bucks.

I also liked Bowman of this years product....i give it a 8/10....cant wait for the finest realese, got one on pre-order, hopefully thats as good as past releases! :)

for cheap boxes, i busted a box of Upper Deck ESPN...nice product, nice looking card and for the price i give it 6/10