Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What to do with too many cards

I have a bunch of just regular base and its taking up alot of space and I dont know what to do with it any suggestions?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mr-baseballman's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by CubFan777
    I have a bunch of just regular base and its taking up alot of space and I dont know what to do with it any suggestions?

You could make a charitable donation with them and use it as a tax write-off. Many childrens hospitals in the country would take them.

SCF Rewards
    See lalkobes87's Items on eBay

ya you could do that but how much money would you get for them?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Nothing, but that isn't the point. A lot of kids would get the cards and appreciate them way more than some collector and who knows maybe you start a kid on the road to collecting.

You can also contact a local school and talk to a teacher. Sometimes they put together little packages as prizes. I don't like the white GU or the low end Auto/GU but they would.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mr-baseballman's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by lalkobes87
    ya you could do that but how much money would you get for them?

Actually yes you would. Their BV could be written up as a charitable donation and then in turn used as a break on the taxes you pay.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Houston Texans Houston Astros Houston Cougars
    See stefan9's Items on eBay
    Member is PayPal Verified

...or you could do what I do and just give them away. I started a FREE cards thread on the forum here not to long ago and it's been going well ever since. I basically just have the person cover the shipping and ship them. 'm happy, they're happy and I don't have any extra singles just sitting around collecting dust.

Of the people that usually take them off my hands are a couple of teachers, a vending machine owner, a card shop owner and the others are just people that like to build sets :)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See sivers's Items on eBay

Remember these things when thinking about donating cards for a tax write-off:

First, the tax benefit for charitable contributions is only available for taxpayers who itemize deductions – about one-third of all filers. Those who take a standard deduction receive no additional tax benefit for their contributions.

Secondly, the amount of your donation is based on the fair market value of the donated items. If you made a really large donation of unwanted cards and valued that donation using your most recent Beckett, there could end up being a large discrepancy between the fair market value of the donation and the value you listed on the tax form. That could be trouble if your return got selected for an audit.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quote Originally Posted by mrbaseball969
    Actually yes you would. Their BV could be written up as a charitable donation and then in turn used as a break on the taxes you pay.

by the way he said that I doubt he pays taxes lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

I was thinking about this, and I have the following list:

1) seeing as how 4th of July is coming up, you could wrap some cards around some of those safe and sane fireworks. Oh yes, commons getting the end they truly deserve.

2) take them to a bike rally, and offer free cards to place in spokes.

3) build a house of cards. Use plenty of glue, and sell on ebay. You can sell anything on ebay, (except commons).

4) patch your roof

5) line your bird cage

6) get head shots of yourself and paste them over the faces on the cards.

7) make a chain with the cards. tape, string, thread, whatever it takes. and then see how long you can make it. set a world record (call guiness).

I think these should keep you busy for a while.

Thx!
    R