Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Two New Pieces of Goaltending History! An NHL Debut and a 30 Year Old Jersey!

Got mynewest additions for the museum today, and boy are they some nice stuff. So sit back, relax, have a coffee or whatever youdrink and enjoy the show!

The firstpiece we have belonged to a goaltender who is still an active goaltender in theleague right now. The player, Ray Emery. Born in Hamilton, Ontario on September28, 1982, Emery had a fine junior career with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhoundsbefore being drafted 99th overall by Ottawa in 2001. He made his NHL debut onJanuary 8, 2003 against the Vancouver Canucks, replacing Patrick Lalime for thelast 10 minutes of the game. He went on to become the team's starter by2006-07, also leading them to the Cup Final that year for the first time infranchise history. He remained with the team until 2007-08, and then joined theFlyers in 2009-10 after recovering from a major surgery. He then joined theDucks in 2010-11, and played with the Blackhawks from 2011-12 to 2012-13, wherehe ended up winning a Stanley Cup behind Corey Crawford. At the time of thethis writing, and as of the 2013-14 season, Ray Emery was the backup goaltenderon the Philadelphia Flyers.

The piecesof Ray Emery goaltending history are his goalie pads, used in his NationalHockey League debut, as well as in the majority of his first two NHL seasons.Definitively photomatched to some Getty Images, as well as every single 2002-03rookie card of his, and with paperwork from the Binghamton team, these padswere not only used while he was on the Binghamton Senators, but also during hisNHL debut on January 8, 2003, and at least one game in 2003-04 for a grandtotal of at least 4 NHL games, not including two full seasons worth of play inthe AHL. He did not record a single NHL loss while wearing these pads. In fact,from the time of his NHL debut, it took a total of 14 NHL games for Ray Emeryto record his first ever loss...not bad at all.

The secondpiece we have is a real stunner belonging to a goalie so far in the mainstreamthanks to his segments on Hockey Night in Canada, Kelly Hrudey.

KellyStephen Hrudey was born on January 31, 1961 in Edmonton, Alberta. Boasting adecent junior career with the Medicine Hat Tigers, Hrudey was chosen 38thoverall by the New York Islanders in 1980. He made his NHL debut in the 1983-84season on October 8, 1983, posting a win after replacing Rollie Melanson in an8-7 victory over the Jets. He remained with the Islanders as a number onegoalie until 1988-89 when he was traded to the Kings. There, he maintained hisstarter status, even leading them to the Cup Final in 1992-93. In the 1996off-season, Hrudey was signed by the San Jose Sharks where he played anadditional two years before retiring from play.

In his NHLcareer, Hrudey played in 677 games and recorded a 271-265-88 record with 17shutouts, a 3.43GAA, and a 0.893 save average. In addition, he appeared in 85playoff games and recorded a 36-46 record with a 3.29GAA and0.891 save average.

This sweateris a 1984-85 season New York Islanders road jersey used by Kelly Hrudey. Whileset dates are unknown for this era of hockey, the wear more than implies someheavy use over a season. It is highly possible that he wore this sweater in hisfight with John Vanbiesbrouck on February 17, 1985 among many other games thatyear for a maximum of 21 total regular season games. What is 100% is that thissweater was worn by him in his playoff debut. Definitively photomatched to anApril 11, 1985 playoff game against Washington in which Kelly took his team totwo a double overtime loss. An additional fun bit of tidbit trivia was that bothHrudey's National Hockey League debut as well as his playoff debut came againstthe same goaltender, Al Jensen. Hrudey also wore this sweater in two games in thenext round against Pelle Lindbergh and the Philadelphia Flyers. The wear is atestament to this high flying, high scoring era of hockey. Heavy puck marks onthe crest and on the arms, three team repairs and multiple unrepaired holesadorn the sweater. The shirt even has some additional inserts sewn into the elbowareas inside.

I alsocannot help but imagine how painful the puck impact beside the "Y"would have been, even with padding , given how deep and dark it is.

Front rightsleeve:

Repair tothe right of crest:

Good markingon the front right hem:

Absolutelyobliterated crest (too bad the pictures don't show it all!

Repair tothe left of the crest:

Front leftsleeve:

Nameplateremoved:

Rear leftsleeve:

Numbers withlots of post transfer:

Rear lefthem:

Rear righthem:

Rear rightsleeve:

As usual,more detailed photos can be found on my website:

bcgoaltendingmuseum.weebly.com

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    20 connexionhck
    Country

Awesome gamers as always! Very nice pieces to add to your museum! :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

NICE adds there Bruce! I grew up idolizing the Mike Bossy era Isles, that Hrudey jersey is just awesome :)

You seem to be ramping things up a bit there, are you going for bigger names now or is it all just right-place right-time ??

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Good stuff as always Bruce, collection is getting into the real large category...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country

NICE adds there Bruce! I grew up idolizing the Mike Bossy era Isles, that Hrudey jersey is just awesome :)

You seem to be ramping things up a bit there, are you going for bigger names now or is it all just right-place right-time ??

Both. I always go for the lesser known guys, of course, but their stuff are tougher to find than the bigger names...cheaper, but tougher. I do have one or two of the more niche guys in my next mail day to go along with two semi-star goaltenders. Plus, I need an exhibit that redefines what a hockey museum can be for the next big show in Edmonton, whichever it may be. I want to knock the socks off of the crowd to really make an impression. The big names in combination with the niche guys I feel will do that.

Also right place at the right time. The Emery I found at the right price and hopped on it and the Hrudey photomatch was found by me before I bought the jersey. With that knowledge and its equally fair price, I had to jump on it.

Good stuff as always Bruce, collection is getting into the real large category...

Thanks Mike, only planning to make it bigger and bigger!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Wow, great stuff!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country

Thank you!