Question Dealers or Collectors: Best way to start?

I'm new to the forum, but not new to baseball cards. Been collecting for over 27 years now -- heck, I remember the very first price guide. :) Yep, I'm old.

Anyways, I have decided since my one true love is baseball cards that I want to begin my life as a pre-1985 sports card dealer -- and I need your advice on how to begin.

My main question is, what is the best way to market for people to sell me their collections? I was thinking of classified ads in newspapers, mailers, etc. What have you found to be best? Any particular phrase that works best? When I was in insurance sales, we used a flyer that said "Are You Paying Too Much?" This flyer was the best that we had -- almost a 3% response rate.

I realize that once you've been in it for a while, deals will come to you, but I don't have that luxury yet.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Thanks Dillywill, I should have noted that I only want to work locally - as in Michigan (Howell/Brighton/Ann Arbor/Lansing/Detroit). Beckett will expose me to the entire country.

one way would be to check beckett... i see collections end on their every day very low... if you are working out of a storefront maybe putting it on a sign somewhere would be good.... also a magazine for junk would be a good way to go... here in NE indiana there is a magazine called peddlers post (not sure how far that is marketed) that list many collections as well as people wanting to buy stuff....

Anyone else have any suggestions that they've been successful with?

Ads in the Paper are always great for Local. Also I'd say just word of mouth and location is more of a factor when dealing only locally.Flyers ,Signs ,Radio Ads,Local TV Ad.If they hear it or see it, they at least know its there.

Hey where are you from in MI? I live in DeWitt just outside of Lansing.

I would have to go with the newspaper. Wives see the ad or classified and then hassle husband until he can take it no more and sells the cards you want. Sweet and a pure profit for you. But to sell I would create a website and be global. Regardless good luck.

Another suggestion is to hit your local shows. Talk up a few dealers, look for the older ones and let them know what your looking to do. I am willing to bet if you talk to enough of them your bound to run into the type of dealer that is on breach closing down because of time or energy. He may not have what you need but more than likely if they have been on the circuit long enough they may know someone who can turn you on to someone who wants out or a supplier in the sense of a guy who had a card shop years ago but closed down who is sitting on stuff.

I think an ad in Becket or SCD would be a good idea. You never know who will read it and is looking to get out or scale back.