Thread: Prices on cards

Prices on cards

So I know I just got back into collecting and this may have already been discussed but it's blowing my mind what some people want for things on eBay. I do this for fun and if there is something I'm trying to collect I don't care to pay a good enough price to ensure we both get a good deal but my God people want insane prices. I offered 30 more than any other card of a not big named player has ever sold for and they come back with 100 more for something that has sold in over three months. It blows my mind but I guess I'll have to move on to a new collection.

I completely agree with you. The asking prices for Manziel autos are insane. Why? Because people think this guy is the next Manning, Brady, Luck. All this guy has done is win a Heisman...Manning, Brady, Luck never won those. Manziel wasn't even a top pick. The guy is a backup in Cleveland, which in my opinion is years away from a Superbowl. Yet there are people out there who happen to get an auto and ask for hundreds of dollars. This reminds me off all the hype collectors put on quarterbacks like, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Tim Tebow..etc. Others will say that ebay creates this demand when people put these cards for auction and the selling prices set the market value. If you are talking about short term I completely agree. However, for your situation the best thing to do is to wait for the prices to come down. I super collect Cam Newton and I have seen his prices drop since his rookie year. Unless he wins a Superbowl the trend will remain the same. Someone like Luck is still increasing in value and once he wins a Superbowl it can get higher. There are two sides, yours which is to offer a fair price and theirs which is holding out for more. Once they realize they are not going to get what they are asking for then that's when they regret it. Unless you are looking for a card that is a 1 of 1 there will be others that eventually will show up on ebay. Just have to be patient

It probably depends what you are looking for. Some stuff is quite expensive but others can be had for peanuts.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Am example for me was on a couple of national treasures Eric Fisher 1/1s. I was the only one watching them amd they hadn't sold for a couple months. I offered good money for them just because I have the center part of the patch and decided to go for the rest of them. Come back with crazy high numbers. It's Eric Fisher and I am the only watcher. Blew my mind

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown1128 View Post
    Am example for me was on a couple of national treasures Eric Fisher 1/1s. I was the only one watching them amd they hadn't sold for a couple months. I offered good money for them just because I have the center part of the patch and decided to go for the rest of them. Come back with crazy high numbers. It's Eric Fisher and I am the only watcher. Blew my mind
    Well they are 1/1 cards so on those people do tend to go crazy because they know they have the only copy of it
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

True. But if there is no demand for it then it doesn't matter if you have the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    Well they are 1/1 cards so on those people do tend to go crazy because they know they have the only copy of it

Patience is the key. I was wanting to build the Bowman Chrome Refractor Auto rainbow of Lawrence Timmons and a guy had the Gold and Orange on eBay. He wanted $100 for the gold and $150 for the orange, both of which were about 3-4x BV. I sent an offer, he responded with a counter that was about $5 below his asking price. I sent another offer, he didn't respond. A month later the exact same cards came up for auction and I won them both for WAY less than what I had offered him. Seems to me like I got them both for around $50 dlvd.

He still has them listed. He has dropped his price for them to $90 and $120, but he won't sell them. As far as I know I am the only Timmons collector and that was over a year ago that I made offers. He is stuck with them because of his greed.

Greed controls the hobby, period.