Thread: Looking for selling tips

Looking for selling tips

I started collecting again a few years ago and have enjoyed purchasing auto cards of some ofmy favorite players, some HOFíers others are young stars or rookies. For themost part, Iíve found some really good buys from auctions and have cards thatwill be in my PC for a long time. However, Iíve changed my collecting habits and have been getting morespecific with my collecting and I want to limit the size. Iíve begun selling some of the cards on ebaythat are no longer part of my PC. Iím findingthat with all the selling fees (shipping charges, supplies, website fees, etc)it can be challenging to break-even after these fees. I realize that this isa hobby and weíre collecting for fun, but most of us arenít looking to losevalue. Anyone have a similar experience,or have any tips on keeping the overhead lower when selling?

Quote Originally Posted by anderjam View Post
    I started collecting again a few years ago and have enjoyed purchasing auto cards of some ofmy favorite players, some HOF’ers others are young stars or rookies. For themost part, I’ve found some really good buys from auctions and have cards thatwill be in my PC for a long time. However, I’ve changed my collecting habits and have been getting morespecific with my collecting and I want to limit the size. I’ve begun selling some of the cards on ebaythat are no longer part of my PC. I’m findingthat with all the selling fees (shipping charges, supplies, website fees, etc)it can be challenging to break-even after these fees. I realize that this isa hobby and we’re collecting for fun, but most of us aren’t looking to losevalue. Anyone have a similar experience,or have any tips on keeping the overhead lower when selling?
    Selling on eBay is very frustrating because of the fees. For me to move a card and provide tracking it costs around 2.50 per card. I try to not sell cards that are very low end on eBay as you will always lose. I think lots are the way to go on ebay because you can send multiple cards and avoid paying a shipping fee for each card.

I used to ship cards under $5 in PLE with protection but I want to be a top rated seller so I now provide tracking in a bubble mailer with each sale. Selling on eBay is slow right now because everyone is buying presents and gifts for their wives, girlfriends, moms.

Here is another tip you could use. i try to charge 2.50 to 2.95 to ship one item on ebay. List your card at .05. if you get a bid you will net about a buck with tracking. Often with the cards like this all I really wanted out of the card was a buck and you get feedback most of time. Try Buy it now best offer for many listings. I have been shocked at some of the high offers I receive when I am patient and wait on my listings. Try not to use auctions on top dollar cards all the time. You often will be upset by the final bidding price.

Have you tried selling the cards on here? No fees but it might take a lot longer for the stuff to be sold.

Otherwise maybe wait until you have a decent sized lot and sell all the autographs together, all the game used together etc. Instead of lots of little auctions. That might be able to save on the fees somewhat.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Selling here or on any forum is extremely frustrating and especially for a lot you and highly unlikely to get a fair price. Te hobby is driven by greed and with any kind of lot it will 100% be sold to someone that would just be looking to flip it for a profit. As far as selling singles goes it is just as frustrating unless you have a player that is hot and is easier to move. Trading is just as difficult. It's just what the hobby has become and it's all about the almighty dollar.

Thanks for your tips. One thing I've realized is this hobby is really just for fun, too much time & effort trying to flip a card for a large enough profit to make it worthwhile. I'm just trying to break even on most of my cards for sale, come out a bit ahead on the hotter players and not lose my shorts on the young stars & rookies that aren't panning out. How do the sportscard stores that are still open keep a large enough profit to keep the lights on?

The hobby is no longer for fun and that is the reality and why people are forced to make money in order to stay in it. With all of the product that is being produced and the addiction we have has as collectors to purchase them, it is quite simply impossible to stay in the hobby unless you have some sort of strategy of funding it. That leads to greed and in turn difficult to sell anything.

There is no such thing as a pure lcs anymore that focuses solely on sportscards. Those don't last and every single sports card store out there has to specialize in something else be it gaming, comics, apparell and so on and so forth. My lcs is a little different and eventhough they have a sports card section they don't have a sports card guy working there at all b/c most of their revenue comes from gaming and other things. I can go as far as to say that in terms of the real world, sports cards takes a major back seat in the collecting and hobby world and my lcs is a good example of that.

I think even the avg collector is forced to try to make some profit because the hobby has become quite expensive. There is just too much product on the market and sooner or later the demand isn't going to be there. GU cards are losing popularity and auto cards might be getting overpopulated. Plus, we all know that it's not always easy to move a card and we need to ensure we'll at least break even after expenses/fees.

An issue with the football card market is the lack of young "star" players becoming potential "superstars." Look at the last 3 years and really A. Luck might be the only player that has shown progress at becoming a "superstar." Or at least is the only one that comes to mind, maybe Russell Wilson. Most of the other promising young stars have card values that seem to be very flat or many are trending down because they aren't producing big numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by anderjam View Post
    I think even the avg collector is forced to try to make some profit because the hobby has become quite expensive. There is just too much product on the market and sooner or later the demand isn't going to be there. GU cards are losing popularity and auto cards might be getting overpopulated. Plus, we all know that it's not always easy to move a card and we need to ensure we'll at least break even after expenses/fees.

This hits the nail on the head pretty much. If you bust a 2012 product you are going to get buried unless you pull a Luck or Wilson auto or jersey auto

An issue with the football card market is the lack of young "star" players becoming potential "superstars." Look at the last 3 years and really A. Luck might be the only player that has shown progress at becoming a "superstar." Or at least is the only one that comes to mind, maybe Russell Wilson. Most of the other promising young stars have card values that seem to be very flat or many are trending down because they aren't producing big numbers.
    This hits the nail on the head pretty much. If you bust a 2012 product you are going to get buried unless you pull a Luck or Wilson auto or jersey auto. I think 2014 products are very very affordable right now because this class has awesome promise.