Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

why is there such a difference in perceived between ITG and Upper Deck

i understand that Upper Deck has a license to sell NHL card products. but a certified auto is still a certified auto isnt it. and although he is not pictured in an Av's jersey (although you can tell it is an Av's jersey), a Joe Sakic from ITG with a limited print run of 80 has a B(eckett)V(alues) of around 12-15 bucks yet a comparable UD product BVs for 20-25 and has a print run of 1000 or maybe 10000. it almost seems like Beckett is in cahoots with UD, perhaps they are sister companies behind the scenes. or just prejudiced media perception against ITG. after looking at in hand ITG products and comparing them to UD there is a clear distinction in quality in actual physical composition. i realize that the designs dont change radically year by year, is that it?
    but ITG seems to offer a wider selection of past stars and future "stars" i acknowledge that higher end UD products are quite nice, but they also carry a huge price tag and less chance of breaking even (i'll say) than the ITG.
    so if you have an opinion i would like to hear it.
    Last edited by RGM81; 11-08-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Licensing is a huge feature.

Branding is a huge feature.

Name recognition is a huge feature.

To move into an off-beat analogy, it's like asking why the WWE is vastly more popular than TNA in the world of professional wrestling. It's still pro wrestling. The basic premise is still there. TNA even features a lot of guys that were once hugely successful in WWF/E. But the WWE is perceived as THE major wrestling (sports entertainment) promotion while TNA is perceived as a very minor organization that truly isn't even competition to WWE.

And I think that, now that UD has an exclusive NHL/PA license and ITG is under new direction from Leaf, the gap in perception is likely to continue to widen. But that's just my opinion.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

it almost seems like Beckett is in cahoots with UD,

Of course they are. If Beckett's printed the real prices for what cards sell for, then UD would never be able to sell $400 boxes of cards that only provide $70-$100 in resale value.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It isn't really perceived at all. It is a fact. If you want to argue that people are stupid for paying more for a certified autograph of the same guy that's fine but there are some factors that do increase the value of a card. The card being licensed and on card being just a few of the more important ones.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

Sorry ITG, I don't buy your products because I can't see my teams logo, actions shots from a game.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (489)
    Country
    Upper Deck ePack

I prefer ITG over UD any day license or not. So if we go by the idea that a licensed auto is better, then does that make any IP autos worthless?
    Collecting; Autos, GU'd & RC of Red Wings, Brodeur, Hasek & Shanahan and ITG 2004-05 Franchises. Motown Madness & Broad Street Boys.
    Want List: Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I have always been an ITG cheerleader, until their takeover...errr...merger with Leaf. Now I'm a little iffy on them. Their bread and butter has been memorabilia. Nobody does it better. Plain and simple. Autos however...even I will admit I prefer them from a licensed company. They just look nicer. More people want the licensed autos because they are generally nicer, hence the higher cost, regardless of print run.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think the biggest reason that hasn't been mentioned is rookie cards. A lot of the deep pocketed case breakers bust products that they can pull top RC's from, and they won't touch ITG cards which leaves them as more of a niche product. Not that I mind this at all... I'm much more of a collector and not at all in it for the money, so lower book values are fine with me! I'll take my unlicensed Howe/Rocket Richard jersey card x/9 at 51 bucks from ITG anyday over a few mass produced YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah, I agree. I collect HOF autographs, so I love the ITG product because I can get nice HOF autographs at a reasonable price. I have a lot of nice, slabbed HOF 'graphs I adore for much cheaper than UD or other top card companies

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I also prefer ITG for my HOF/RETIRED player cards. I go to UD for the current players.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast