Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: expo 1/1 (need explanation)

expo 1/1 (need explanation)

Hi, there is a ITG BTP Complete Jersey silver on ebay, its a fall expo 1/1

The Silver version is # to 9 in BTP

So is there the 9 silver ones + expo 1/1's ? It feels kind of strange to me, but the 1/1 is cheaper than the /9 version so maybe I should go for it. Anybody have some toughts about the expo 1/1s?

Thanks

This has always been my understanding - the show 1/1 parallels are in addition to the stated print run.

I've never been a fan of the show 1/1 and generally won't buy them, even for $10. I feel any collection is "complete" without them. There are a lot of others who feel the same way, which is reflected in the lower price you see. However, as always, you should collect what you like, so if you are OK with the card at the price you see, go for it!

I think it's much better when the Expo promo is similar to what was done for the Spring Expo earlier this year for Lord Stanley's Mug; each box got you a limited Silver/Gold (9/1 copies) of a "Decades" themed card that was NOT a parallel of a regular issue card and therefore significantly more worthy of consideration. It was created just for the show and is show-stamped, but still a different "subset" of the set in my mind.
    LF this ITG Decades 1980's Autograph: AMM2 - Mark Messier CAN SP. Also need many Emblems and Numbers from ITG Decades 1980's and may need Quads, Golds or other low print runs from that set.
    PC includes Sakic, Vaive, Salming, Lafleur, Shutt and anyone named Stastny except Yan. Starting a new, limited GETZLAF PC - looking for hard-signed autos of Getzlaf and any memorabilia with print run 100 or less.

The Expo 1/1 Show Stamped cards, like Cross Canada Tour Show Stamp 1/1 or Gibralter Show Stamp 1/1 etc are all 1/1 cards in addition to the regular print run of that pacticular card, be it Silver or Gold etc.

As Gallinator said above these cards sell for considerably less than regular 1/1 cards because they are essentially cards given away at Shows. Some cards are very nice and I wouldn't hesitate to put them into my collection but I wouldn't pay nearly as much. I have sold some Show Stamp 1/1 cards for quite a bit but they are mostly sold to fans of their OHL team or something similar.

I know I was watching an Yzerman Decades 90s 1/1 show stamp for many months (sweet Patch). Guy wanted like $400 for it for 6 months. Ended up selling it in auction for I think $50 or about that, which I would have paid but I missed the auction.

I also agree with Gallinator in having sub-sets made for the Expos/Shows and not just 1/1 parallels of cards previously released. Many collectors have certain ways of deciphering prices of cards.

Hope that helps.

It is my understanding that the cards used for show stamps are replacement cards from a set that is "end of life" or not eligible for replacement due to damage. Rather than destroy them, they are stamped and given away at events. ITG has been doing this since at least 1998. Pacific had done this as well when it was around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunnuc View Post
    The Expo 1/1 Show Stamped cards, like Cross Canada Tour Show Stamp 1/1 or Gibralter Show Stamp 1/1 etc are all 1/1 cards in addition to the regular print run of that pacticular card, be it Silver or Gold etc.

As Gallinator said above these cards sell for considerably less than regular 1/1 cards because they are essentially cards given away at Shows. Some cards are very nice and I wouldn't hesitate to put them into my collection but I wouldn't pay nearly as much. I have sold some Show Stamp 1/1 cards for quite a bit but they are mostly sold to fans of their OHL team or something similar.

I know I was watching an Yzerman Decades 90s 1/1 show stamp for many months (sweet Patch). Guy wanted like $400 for it for 6 months. Ended up selling it in auction for I think $50 or about that, which I would have paid but I missed the auction.

I also agree with Gallinator in having sub-sets made for the Expos/Shows and not just 1/1 parallels of cards previously released. Many collectors have certain ways of deciphering prices of cards.

Hope that helps.
    Just to clarify, some of ITGs more recent Expo redemption cards and giveaways such as the Cross Canada Tour have featured unique cards that are not included in the actual products. Furthermore at a couple of the Expos in past years I have also received 1/1 Gold version cards as redemptions that only exist as a 1/1 of the actual product so clearly they are extra cards.
    Traders:Hidden Content

Wantlist:Hidden Content

The want list at this link features what I need of Giroux, Couturier, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous set. If you have nothing from it I will consider CFL cards, current Senators, Carey Price, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy (Habs), vintage hockey (pre 1970) and trade bait.

Thanks and Happy Trading.

Country
    SCF Rewards

Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta

Expo 1/1's are freebie's.

Quote Originally Posted by capt55 View Post
    Expo 1/1's are freebie's.
    Which ones are you giving away? I may be interested.
    Traders:Hidden Content

Wantlist:Hidden Content

The want list at this link features what I need of Giroux, Couturier, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous set. If you have nothing from it I will consider CFL cards, current Senators, Carey Price, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy (Habs), vintage hockey (pre 1970) and trade bait.

Thanks and Happy Trading.

Just to add something for the "newbies" on this topic: most collectors view "show cards" as worth less (note: I'm not saying "worthless" just "worth less"**), because:

-they aren't pulled from packs. So you're not opening boxes/packs to sift down to a specific card that might be hard to find and require lots of boxes/packs/$ to get at;
    -they're usually given away for free, so something that cost nothing to begin with, isn't viewed as that valuable even if it's stamped "1/1";
    -they're specially created for shows and seen as promo items. Historically, promo items aren't usually seen as having much value. Manufacturer's IMO decided to put the "1/1" stamp on them to create a sense of rareness and improve on the hype/PR value of these promo items, aka the "oooh ahhhh woww you're sooo generous to give me that for nothing" factor.

**their value, like everything else in this collecting world, is in the eye of the beholder. So some rabid collectors who want every type of oddity in their player collection may seek these show cards out and pay something for them. Other collectors don't see them as true sportscards and have zero interest in them and view them as having no value. It's possible there could be some collectors out there who only collect show cards (?? there's usually at least ONE person who focuses on something others don't). So you'll get different reactions to these cards, depending upon your point of view and collecting interests. I know in years past I ran into people who were collecting only promo cards when manufacturers were routinely sending them out to dealers to introduce new wax product, so these type of collectors exist or at least they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast