Which grade is equivalent to non-grade value? 8 or 8.5

which one is it?

2. SCC - Feb 2018
    Probably the 8. Don't quote me on it though.

Usually people want to pay way less for BGS 8. I rarely see them anyway.

Depends on the card. Pre-80s BGS8 cards can usually get ungraded hi-bv, at least in trade. You can throw Beckett values out the window wrt selling.
    Post-90s usually need to be at least a BGS9 for ungraded hi-bv. There are always execptions though.

I dont own any SGC but I hear they're respectable. Depends on what you want to do after the grading. If sell, then might wanna go BGS. They tend to have the best resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by jukebox9988
    would u recommend SGC at all?

Im my own worthless opinon I would say stick to eather psa or bgs. They seem to be the 2 most respected in the community.

For Modern an 8 is considered "High Book" an 8.5 rarely commands much of a premium, but an 8 usually get's less than high book in sell value and in most cases, gets cracked out of the case. An 8 will usually trade at high book value, but sell where a raw one probably sells.

For vintage a 7 is pretty much the "high book" mark for anything 1957 and up, but the sell values will be at the "High book" mark, so for trade value it's a little useless.