Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

2014 Topps Chrome Football Hobby Discussion

I should have my hobby case on monday. From what I have seen the product seems to be watered down with practice squad autos. This is not necessarily all bad. With a larger pool the sought after players will be harder to get and more desirable. Do you think Topps produced more of the product this year. The box prices are already close to 2013 Topps Chrome with a much stronger RC class in 2014. I am a little nervous about my case break after watching some. Is there as much color as in years past. Has Topps put out a dud on a product we all love so much? Opinions are welcomed on this.

I've been in a few breaks and it's 90 percent watered down with base autos and less color. Last year I did 50-60 case breaks, this year 3 and I'm done!!! Cheaper to buy singles

thT said, I'll take any garoppolos, just PM when u get it!!

I have heard that there is a HUGE print run on Chrome this year (Sports Cards Uncensored). Hobby has always had less color than retail but it's a fun break none-the-less. There seem to be a few more break out players from deeper in the draft so even some of them seem to be fetching a bit more like Jeremy Hill, Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Benjamin, Beckham Jr., etc. the top tier guys will always be a tough hit but the cards look great and as a Topps collector I'm happy with the results.

I collect Kordell Stewart, Earl Campbell, Deacon Jones, Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson and Steelers cards.
    Working on 1968 & 1969 Topps Football sets and 1980 Stop 'n' Go.
    Hidden Content

Very watered down, way less color, numbered cards are fewer, really irritated by the immense amount of base autos and especially loading up of the guys who did not even make teams or only made practice squad.

Thing is, Panini has done the same thing!

Either way, the collector is getting the short end of the stick.

With Panini likely to take over the card production and topps potentially failing with Chrome, I may be finding a new hobby!
    Hidden Content

Collecting Bears, also pick up Vikings for fellow traders.

The more I read about production runs and such on Chrome 14, the more I kind of like the chase of the top player autos. If box prices settle in the $45 dollar range this will be a fun break for a long time.

I would assume that Topps would try and squeeze as much money out of the football market that they can. They really don't care if they tarnish the Topps Chrome brand in football or even the football card market because Panini is going to be the only game in town pretty soon.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Well, I do the Chrome set every year and started off with two boxes.

After sorting through them I am livid. The collation is beyond horrible.

Out of two boxes, not including inserts, I have 83 cards for the set and 63 doubles! 63! That's a freakin' box that is just useless.

I collect Kordell Stewart, Earl Campbell, Deacon Jones, Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson and Steelers cards.
    Working on 1968 & 1969 Topps Football sets and 1980 Stop 'n' Go.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by stephenheger View Post
    Well, I do the Chrome set every year and started off with two boxes.

After sorting through them I am livid. The collation is beyond horrible.

Out of two boxes, not including inserts, I have 83 cards for the set and 63 doubles! 63! That's a freakin' box that is just useless.
    So true

I opened a couple of boxes from my case and I like the product. It is not perfect but for the money it is as good as any other product out there IMO. Box prices will soon equal to 2013 TC and this years class is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenheger View Post
    That is something you'd see out of a set from the late 1980s. You would open up boxes and boxes and boxes....and still be 3 cards short of the set.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast