Thread: UAB Ends Football Program

UAB Ends Football Program

I's a shame that smaller schools can't compete in the NCAA market. Football is a major sport that not only draws athletes, it draws students who want to go to college and have a sports program to provide games to attend when not in class. This doesn't just hurt the athletic program, it hurts the academic program as well.

My daughter attends a small private university and she is constantly going to their football, baseball, basketball and volleyball games. Small schools need athletic programs.

In order to more effectively invest in the success of priority programs that are most likely to bring national prominence relative to the necessary investment, the Athletic Department has determined that the final seasons for UAB football, bowling and rifle will be in the 2014-2015 academic year.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...rial&hpt=hp_t2

The whole point of college is to get a higher education. It has turned into a next level of schooling where people just play sports, have sex, and get drunk. Because people are going that shouldn't be the cost of going to college has skyrocketed because everyone thinks they need to.

It would be nice to see colleges get back to churning out people who can be the future of this country (and world) instead of morons who make a small group of guys rich because they play sports. Why people still gobble up college men playing sports I'll never know but it is big business for some schools now.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Well having the BoT from Alabama def. doesn't help them. The same bot that kept them from hiring Jimbo Fischer a few years back...politics will do that
    ~Matt

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    The whole point of college is to get a higher education. It has turned into a next level of schooling where people just play sports, have sex, and get drunk. Because people are going that shouldn't be the cost of going to college has skyrocketed because everyone thinks they need to.

It would be nice to see colleges get back to churning out people who can be the future of this country (and world) instead of morons who make a small group of guys rich because they play sports. Why people still gobble up college men playing sports I'll never know but it is big business for some schools now.
    I agree their focus should be education first, but extra-curricular activities is a big student magnet. No major sports to attend when not in class will be a deterrent for a lot of students. It is hard to run a tuition-based institution if everyone is going elsewhere. Reduced student numbers result in smaller class sizes which eventually leads to classes being offered at a less regular interval. My college was small with no major sports and there were some classes that we could only get every other semester because of it. A lot of students will simply transfer elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I agree their focus should be education first, but extra-curricular activities is a big student magnet. No major sports to attend when not in class will be a deterrent for a lot of students. It is hard to run a tuition-based institution if everyone is going elsewhere. Reduced student numbers result in smaller class sizes which eventually leads to classes being offered at a less regular interval. My college was small with no major sports and there were some classes that we could only get every other semester because of it. A lot of students will simply transfer elsewhere.
    If everyone leaves the school to go to party schools or sports schools and they have a drop in attendance you would think they would fix it by making it cheaper which would attract more people. Yeah the schools won't be raking in oodles and oodles of cash but that can be fixed by paying the professors less or not having to pay some sports coach millions of dollars to draw up some plays once a week.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

What shocked me is the trio of sports they decided to let go, Football, Bowling, and Rifling at least football will bring money back into the program, when is the last time you saw a bowling or Rifling match draw big numbers.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    If everyone leaves the school to go to party schools or sports schools and they have a drop in attendance you would think they would fix it by making it cheaper which would attract more people. Yeah the schools won't be raking in oodles and oodles of cash but that can be fixed by paying the professors less or not having to pay some sports coach millions of dollars to draw up some plays once a week.
    You realize the chain reaction here right? As soon as you start paying professors less they leave for better paying jobs. The net result becomes the school has a poorer quality of instructors because the better professors have left.