Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Ok, I think I get it

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ok, I think I get it

I think I'm done with box breaks. I've been so disappointed with them lately. I spend 100.00 on a box and only get back about 20 bv. I've spent thousands and have a wonderful collection but this last break (etchings) really has me burning.

I think I will treat myself to one box a month. I will concentrate only on Jeter and ARod and my GU collections. I have no need for or interest in Pujols, Bonds or Griffey so I have no idea why I am collecting them.

For the next few weeks I am creating a list of all of my other cards and will put them up for sale/trade. I will purchase the majority of my gu from ebay (because they are so cheap there, and will ask when I'm not sure if it is real).

I will trade/purchase from this site. I think Mikes Mojo will come in handy to fill my NEED to open packs...lol.

Decision made. I'm not leaving the sport I'm really just sick of these boxes and all the cards that are taking over my life and my house...they must go.

G

SCF Rewards
    Country

I hear ya, I was a 2-3 box ripper a month. I can't believe how much I used to spend, unreal. I'll rip an occaisional box, especially once the new 06 Football stuff comes out, but I had to cut down big time too. It's so much better to just buy the singles that I want (I hate to use the word "need" when it comes to card collecting, cause I don't need any of them..lol)
    Plus, I'm not a set or common collector (only really old cards), so after ripping all these boxes I'm stuck with thousands of commons I don't want.
    Anyway, good luck to ya, it's a tough habit to break though!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

You know, as I am picking up my house (the cards have invaded every room on our first floor) I was thinking how difficult this will be. But I just have to remind myself that I'm not leaving the hobby I'm just focusing it...I am going out today to tell our local sports card shop guy...his reaction is going to be heartbreaking...I'm sure I spend about a grand a month in there...poor guy.

I will get rid of these commons...if I have to give them away. I think once I've reduced the number of cards I have and start focusing on those I really want the stress of it all might go away also...and that 350 biweekly can go to something else...lol

G

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

g you are so right about busting wax i haven,t been spending alot lately but it is time to pull in the reigns and just save up for 1 box a month be it whatever it may be.at least then if i don,t get anything good it will give me something to look forward to for the next month take care spuds

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mr-baseballman's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Gkeenan
    I think I'm done with box breaks. I've been so disappointed with them lately. I spend 100.00 on a box and only get back about 20 bv. I've spent thousands and have a wonderful collection but this last break (etchings) really has me burning.

I think I will treat myself to one box a month. I will concentrate only on Jeter and ARod and my GU collections. I have no need for or interest in Pujols, Bonds or Griffey so I have no idea why I am collecting them.

For the next few weeks I am creating a list of all of my other cards and will put them up for sale/trade. I will purchase the majority of my gu from ebay (because they are so cheap there, and will ask when I'm not sure if it is real).

I will trade/purchase from this site. I think Mikes Mojo will come in handy to fill my NEED to open packs...lol.

Decision made. I'm not leaving the sport I'm really just sick of these boxes and all the cards that are taking over my life and my house...they must go.

G

Gail I can relate. I quit buying boxes back in 2004. I've bought sooo many boxes and have been so disappointed with the most of them. Now I have like 40,000 - 50,000 cards just taking up space. It's so much easier to simply buy the cards you want at eBay. That way too you don't end up with thousands of unwanted players. I just couldn't rationalize spending say $300-$500 a month on boxes and only having maybe 4 cards to show for it. With the same $300-$500 I can buy lots of cards on eBay.

i used to be a rip anything i could get my hands on type of guybut ive pretty much stopped it cmopltely. if i see a box for like half off ill buy it if i like the product. i also like to try my luck with a box or two of bowman chrome and bowman chrome draft every year. singles are the way to improve your collection and are the best bargain. although the feeling of pulling a nolan ryan auto /10 from an 120$ box FEELS a lot better then paying 120$ for the same card on ebay.

james

SCF Rewards
    Country

GK,

I know the feeling as well but if you have a lot of basecards that you do not know what to do with them. Ever thought about going to a childerns hospital and giving the cards to them. Teachers have made use of these as well for rewards to there students((more a less in elementry))

Jay

SCF Rewards
    Country

Quote Originally Posted by pr0phet
    GK,

I know the feeling as well but if you have a lot of basecards that you do not know what to do with them. Ever thought about going to a childerns hospital and giving the cards to them. Teachers have made use of these as well for rewards to there students((more a less in elementry))

Jay

This is what I am going to do with the majority of my cards...anything before oh say 2000 I will just toss. But I think childrens hospitals, little league and now teachers...I am working on putting together a trade list and am working on all of my inserts right now...boy is this a job...I am pleased to see that some of these inserts are worth more than my gu!

I will add teachers to my list...thanks.

G