Estimates on OPC Blank Backs print runs?

I know that we never have a way of truly knowing, but does anyone know of relatively reliable estimates on how many of each of these are made? I want to write a blog post about this (revolving around Andrew Shaw, of course), so any info is greatly appreciated!
    Supercollecting Andrew Shaw 73% w/ 1/1s (141/194 cards) or 87% w/o 1/1s listed in SCF inventory as of 2/9/17 ; Jedd Gyorko in WVU uniform; vintage Champ Car/Indy 500 cards.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Kronozio
    If my memory serves, it can vary from year to year. First year (08-09) they were suspected of being around /30, but by 10-11 they were possibly as low as /15. I think this year's release is either on the low end of that spectrum or just not a lot of people opened it as I haven't seen a single Gorges, and that's a rainbow I've completed every year since inception.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Not going to lie, you were someone I thought about before I asked this. I had a feeling you'd at least have an idea. I truly appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    If my memory serves, it can vary from year to year. First year (08-09) they were suspected of being around /30, but by 10-11 they were possibly as low as /15. I think this year's release is either on the low end of that spectrum or just not a lot of people opened it as I haven't seen a single Gorges, and that's a rainbow I've completed every year since inception.
    Supercollecting Andrew Shaw 73% w/ 1/1s (141/194 cards) or 87% w/o 1/1s listed in SCF inventory as of 2/9/17 ; Jedd Gyorko in WVU uniform; vintage Champ Car/Indy 500 cards.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Bill Ranford has been in those OPC sets, with the Blank Backs, 3 times: 11-12, 12-13, 14-15.

Each of those seasons, I picked up the first copy that I found....... and I think that only 12-13 I even saw a second copy surface online. I would be surprised to learn that in any of those years (at least 11-12 and onward) that there was more than 15 copies..... and I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that there was actually a lot less.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Enter the 1st leg of the UD RAK 'Em Up! contest!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm not a heavy OPC blank back collector but I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 of a given one. I would be shocked if it's more than 5-8.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. It confirms what I felt like I'd heard before.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

So, here's the piece that I wrote that was the reason I posted this thread. I'm interested in any feedback. Am I over the top? Should I not even care?

Something in the hobby that I just can’t comprehend…
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

One aspect that I think affects the supply is that I firmly believe people have copies of blank back cards that they simply don't know about! Over the past couple months, I have been reoganizing and re-scanning a lot of my photo-bucket. Since I turn the cards over to scan, I do see the back side of them. I have discovered 3 or 4 blank back that I didn't even know I had.

It's a low-cost set with little "value" to collectors. Who actually looks at the back of all their cards they break, especially the low-end ones? Usually people break boxes of this stuff, and then stuff all the commons in a box never to be seen again. They pull the few autos, jerseys, etc. they get and stuff the rest in a box. If they belong to a collector forum like this one, they may pull all the parallels and put them into another box. But they really don't want to waste the time looking at the backs of all these cards on the off chance that they may find one that would be worth $5.

OPC probably does themselves a disservice by making them so rare. If they were more common, more people may pay attention to them and look harder for them. As it is, they are too rare to create a mass following, and too "invaluable" to demand a high price. Not a good combination. People don't mind paying $50 or more for a #/10 card if it has a jersey piece and auto. They certainly aren't going to pay that, though, for a low-end card with an unknown print-run.
    SHARKS and CAPITALS Fan +++ Tomas Hertl cards: 512 & counting Hidden Content ...... Hidden Content
    Whales: 03-04 Topps Pristine Die-Cut Gold Refractor #67 Sergei Gonchar (#/33)

The simple idea behind blank backs is also a bit non-intuitive and opposite of human nature. "Let's make a special, extrememly rare parallel that collectors will covet and value more than the regular cards, but let's make it a "lesser" card." Simply, its half-a-card, and the only thing that makes it more special is its rarity. Parallels are supposed to be shiny or numbered or special in some way to make them more desirable. But these are less desirable. They are simply just rarer. But because nobody knows exactly how rare they are, not many people are interested in shelling out significantly more money for them. It's almost akin to making an autograph set, where every card in the set is autographed, but the super rare parallel version is not autographed. Is it a rare parallel, or is it just a mistake?

I am sure a lot of people just consider them mistakes and not worth anything. Or maybe they confuse them with the old box-bottoms people cut out and don't consider them real cards. OPC simply has not done anything to make them widely collectable. And price has everything to do with supply-and-demand. There may be a very small supply, but with lilttle demand, they will never be worth much.

Nice blog, by the way.
    Last edited by Sharky94; 08-04-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    SHARKS and CAPITALS Fan +++ Tomas Hertl cards: 512 & counting Hidden Content ...... Hidden Content
    Whales: 03-04 Topps Pristine Die-Cut Gold Refractor #67 Sergei Gonchar (#/33)

What year was the Gorges you pulled? I may need it. LOL

I think that you're pretty spot on with your assessment - it can be pretty frustrating to not know just how many there are of a card out there. With stuff like a Cup auto patch, you know that you can wait it out a bit and you don't have to buy the first copy that comes along because there will be many more getting pulled and listed. But with the OPC Blank Backs, some years it is really a crap shoot, largely dependent upon how many people are cracking and listing. The first year they did them, 08-09, I ended up getting 3 of the Gorges over time. Other years, I've picked up just one or two depending on how many get posted and how cheap they go.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content