Thread: so i took to the phones today

so i took to the phones today

not really sure if this goes in this section but i was pretty astounded by my results

im from michigan, i called the top 15 sports card stores in this state that specialized in hockey looking for an oldschool dominik hasek 2005 limited logos card to hope it may just be sitting in a local shop of mine and guess what a whopping 3 people answered their phone, and 10 of those numbers were now out of service, thats rough, i remember when i was just a young gun back in the mid 1990s and there were all kinds of thriving shops now there really are just 3 that even push hockey

so i called boston area shops because im missing the 3 signature patches also from 2005/06 the cup to complete my set, Cheevers, bourque , and neely Ya know just a hope and a prayer, but i tell ya what every single name on that list was still in business and every last person answered there phone, none of them were very helpful or seemed to care much about someone trying to find something specific which also just kind of threw me for a loop i know its a needle in a haystack but could you atleast come up with a better answer than " that stuffs not for me man" it made it sound like i collected the plague or something haha

Customer service lost, Businesses cant Make it in the heart of my state, i dont know what to say honestly

i didnt even want to call philadelphia or pittsburgh hoping for a needle in a haystack after the disappointment i felt with all these businesses being non existent anymore :(

i just know that even if it is 2-20 years from now they are bound to show up on ebay eventually ( our present future and "industry leader" ebay) , but to be honest i want to pay someone a legitimate price for the few things im missing ( is that wrong??? )

if you took the time to read thanks.. im not truly sure what my point is :)

DAVE
    To see my current up to date collection of 2005-07 CUP and ultimate collection check me out at
    Hidden Content

2. Kronozio
    I think I see your point, or at least, Ill make my point and try and link it to what you might be saying =-)

Hobby shops fail so often because the people running them have no business sense and no customer service. The owners so often feel that their items are gold, and we as mere mortals should pay huge amounts of money for the right to overpay for items. Many of these same shop owners also curse ebay for ruining their business, whereas the smart owners have embraced ebay as a way to supplement a niche market.

I know that I dont have a hobby shop any more. There is a comic shop with an awesome owner that I sometimes buy a few packs from, but the only true hobby shop within driving distance is owned by a guy who, while not rude, doesnt care if I am there or not, because he specializes in selling entire cases online- so my occasional box buys didnt matter in the least to him.

My point...I guess it is that the hobby will die if decent people dont open stores, but at the same time, opening a brick and mortar store for a niche product like sports cards is doomed before it begins... all hail ebay, the savior of the hobby (that was sarcastic!)
    Owner of Roundtablegaming

Find me on Twitter @rtghobbies

Make the trip to the Toronto Expo. It is your best hope to find them and you will get a lot more bang for your buck on singles as the bottom has fallen out of our dollar.
    Traders:Hidden Content

Wantlist:Hidden Content

The want list at this link features what I need of Giroux, Couturier, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous set. If you have nothing from it I will consider CFL cards, current Senators, Carey Price, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy (Habs), vintage hockey (pre 1970) and trade bait.

Thanks and Happy Trading.

Quote Originally Posted by palantri View Post
    I think I see your point, or at least, Ill make my point and try and link it to what you might be saying =-)

Hobby shops fail so often because the people running them have no business sense and no customer service. The owners so often feel that their items are gold, and we as mere mortals should pay huge amounts of money for the right to overpay for items. Many of these same shop owners also curse ebay for ruining their business, whereas the smart owners have embraced ebay as a way to supplement a niche market.

I know that I dont have a hobby shop any more. There is a comic shop with an awesome owner that I sometimes buy a few packs from, but the only true hobby shop within driving distance is owned by a guy who, while not rude, doesnt care if I am there or not, because he specializes in selling entire cases online- so my occasional box buys didnt matter in the least to him.

My point...I guess it is that the hobby will die if decent people dont open stores, but at the same time, opening a brick and mortar store for a niche product like sports cards is doomed before it begins... all hail ebay, the savior of the hobby (that was sarcastic!)
    I really like this response but it also shows that if your not the one spending the big huge meaningful dollar once again sarcasm , then you dont matter to them
    To see my current up to date collection of 2005-07 CUP and ultimate collection check me out at
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by piper1 View Post
    Make the trip to the Toronto Expo. It is your best hope to find them and you will get a lot more bang for your buck on singles as the bottom has fallen out of our dollar.
    I second this motion! For hockey fans, the Toronto Expo is Mecca. Everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. You will be amazed. I live 8 miles from the biggest Washington, DC card show that pulls in dealers from all over the East Coast. There is a total of three dealers who deal in hockey, and 80% of their stuff is Capitals for local fans. A couple other guys might have a little here and there, but its all a shot in the dark. In Toronto, I'll see more hockey cards in the first half-row I walk down than I will in a year in DC. I am sure shows up in the NE might be a little better, but as a US fan, you will NEVER even see a quarter of what you will at any Toronto Expo. Even the US National is a poor little stepchild to the Expo. And like piper mentioned, the dollar hasn't been this strong in decades.

I realize a trip to Toronto for a card show may be a little much if all you care about is 4 cards. But I can guarantee you will see stuff you never knew existed before at the Expo. And who knows, it could spark a new interest. Going to Toronto is what propelled me to start my California Seals collection, which is now over 300 cards strong.
    SHARKS and CAPITALS Fan +++ Tomas Hertl cards: 512 & counting Hidden Content ...... Hidden Content
    Whales: 03-04 Topps Pristine Die-Cut Gold Refractor #67 Sergei Gonchar (#/33)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky94 View Post
    I second this motion! For hockey fans, the Toronto Expo is Mecca. Everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. You will be amazed. I live 8 miles from the biggest Washington, DC card show that pulls in dealers from all over the East Coast. There is a total of three dealers who deal in hockey, and 80% of their stuff is Capitals for local fans. A couple other guys might have a little here and there, but its all a shot in the dark. In Toronto, I'll see more hockey cards in the first half-row I walk down than I will in a year in DC. I am sure shows up in the NE might be a little better, but as a US fan, you will NEVER even see a quarter of what you will at any Toronto Expo. Even the US National is a poor little stepchild to the Expo. And like piper mentioned, the dollar hasn't been this strong in decades.

I realize a trip to Toronto for a card show may be a little much if all you care about is 4 cards. But I can guarantee you will see stuff you never knew existed before at the Expo. And who knows, it could spark a new interest. Going to Toronto is what propelled me to start my California Seals collection, which is now over 300 cards strong.
    im going to look into this, its about 3 months away gives me plenty of time to plan for it, ive been to the national (2014)and i was really disappointed in hockey( did find the 2006/07 brodeur limited logos only) , i love looking at amazing stuff regardless if its for my collection or not so the national wasnt a waste i saw some of the most amazing NBA cards ever made which was fun, im just a fan of this hockey hobby in general and amazing stuff is totally worth the 4 hour drive, its a matter of i havent been to canada in over 10 years i will get the paperwork that allows me too indeed if it really is this hockey awesome
    Hidden Content

As stated in previous post the Expo is the place to go for Hockey cards. I used to make the 11 hour drive every six months from South Jersey. Both shows have their plus & minuses. November show is great with the new products but may be a little overpriced due to the newness. The May show is nice due to dealers trying to clear out inventory but the pickings are not as good. It is a great experience to meet collector's and dealers whom you can make connections with.

You would have been disappointed if you tried the Philly area for cards. All have closed down. I used to have 6 within a 10 mile radius and I sadly miss them. There are other stores in the suburbs of Philly but I am not sure who is still open.
    Collecting; Autos, GU'd & RC of Flyers & Red Wings, Brodeur, Cujo, Hasek, Nash & Shanahan, 2004-05 Franchises Autos & GU'd
    Want List: Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content