Condition of ITG slabs/stickers

I'm extremely picky when it comes to these things. With ITG Ultimate Memorabilia, I want the slabs in good shape. Obviously tiny minor flaws are no big deal, but if the slab has several visible scratches I consider this a condition issue, even if the card is fine, and tend to lose interest in acquiring the card in question. I have a similar hang-up when it comes to "sealed" toploaders a la Superlative, etc. I prefer the stickers to still be intact, although I do know they tend to split. If they are split, I'm a little less interested in acquiring, but can live with it. If the card has been completely removed from the toploader and is in something else, I completely lose interest in acquiring.

Now to my question. Am I nuts and taking this too far, or are my hang-ups justified? How does everyone else feel about this?

Hey man, we've all got our things. LOL

The seals for the Superlative cards are there as your "tamper-proof" guarantee that the card hasn't been altered, patch-swapped, etc. If that level of security is gone, it's totally understandable that you'd be wary if it's a "sick patch OMG!" type thing.

With the slabbed stuff, also totally sensible. Sure you *can* throw the slab around and the card inside will "probably" be fine, but if the thing looks like it's been kicked in the dirt it's obviously less desirable that one that has been kept in a nice box in a graded sleeve.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 236 Unique Cards + 13 1/1's!!!

2017-18 Habs Collections: Carey Price, Shea Weber, Max Pacioretty, and Jonathan Drouin

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The whole purpose of slabbing is to maintain condition and let the slab take the hit (while assuring it is salable without having it in hand). Therefore, it doesn't matter to me if the slab has damage, as long as I can see the card is still OK. Having to sleeve the slab seems a bit extreme - but I agree, we all have our peeves.

For Superlative, I agree - it needs to have the sticker in place as an assurance against tampering. I'll still buy if sticker is broken, but only at a discount - and a sizable discount if out of the original holder entirely.

I agree with others in each to their own . My opinion the superlative stickers aren't that big of deal to me has they do tend to split , unless it's some super fancy patch you might suspect of tampering . For example a Superlative Auto card , long as it is in mint condition they sticker doesn't much matter .

For Ultimate , the slab condition does matter to me , the card is "trapped" in there and they look a lot nicer in case that has been cared for in a sleeve , then one that has been exposed to whatever and scratched up .

You buy yourself a nice fancy card and it arrives in a beat up one-touch or top loader , first thing I do if i have one on hand is slip it into a nice fresh one ... looks much nicer , well you don't really have that option with a already slabbed card

Again just my opinion and each to their own

Bucket (not up to date ) Hidden Content
    My Ebay Store Auctions&Fixed Price : Hidden Content

For Superlative cards, the first thing I do when I receive one is to free it from the sticker. They just bug me too much having the ITG logo overlapping my scanned cards. Also, I'd question just how tamper-proof they really are... not that I'd ever want to fake a patch, but I'd have to wonder if a determined faker couldn't use some sort of heat, or solvent, or some other devious means to loosen the sticker enough to get the card out... and it also doesn't strike me that it would be that terribly difficult to scan in and print these stickers with a good enough printer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

I bought at least 5 boxes of superlative and a lot of the stickers were already split in the box

Quote Originally Posted by sedinfan View Post
    For Superlative cards, the first thing I do when I receive one is to free it from the sticker. They just bug me too much having the ITG logo overlapping my scanned cards. Also, I'd question just how tamper-proof they really are... not that I'd ever want to fake a patch, but I'd have to wonder if a determined faker couldn't use some sort of heat, or solvent, or some other devious means to loosen the sticker enough to get the card out... and it also doesn't strike me that it would be that terribly difficult to scan in and print these stickers with a good enough printer.
    And this is the part that makes me think I'm a little crazy. I want that sticker there. That's how it came from ITG, that's the way I want to keep it. I also find it interesting how most people seem to be ok with one and not the other. It confirms my suspicion that there really is no general consensus on this topic. Thanks for your input, everyone!

For ITG Ultimate and slabbed cards in general I am 100% with you. It the case chipped, scratched ..... whatever ... I dont want it.

For Superlative, I take them out if they are for my PC. If I know I am going to move them, I keep them in their original top loader
    *** Main PCs - Luongo / Mrazek / Fleury***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Traders - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Anything superlative, I take it out of the case anyway.... Slabbed, depend on the card, but I've cracked some nice slabbs in favor of one touches in the past too. Wouldn't bother me.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Enter the 1st leg of the UD RAK 'Em Up! contest!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 30ranfordfan View Post
    Anything superlative, I take it out of the case anyway.... Slabbed, depend on the card, but I've cracked some nice slabbs in favor of one touches in the past too. Wouldn't bother me.
    I've done this as well, depending on the card. I've cracked open a few slabs one occasion. I guess it's one of those collector-by-collector things. The use/condition of the slabbed cards could bother one, but not bother the other
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price