Thread: How To Store Your Collection?

How To Store Your Collection?

I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to my cards. Even though I only collect 2 players, I want them well protected so everything goes in a penny sleeve/toploader. Or if it's a pretty nice card, it goes in a screwdown.

Most of the cards are then stored in the standard 5-row shoeboxes (5K count?) which I'm not thrilled about.

Is there a better option? Some kind of case or box? What other things do you all use?

i have mine in a boook and in toploader on my desk and shelves.

I think I posted this before, but I will do it one more time.

I collect Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan with Ryan being my main collection.

I put all my collection cards upside down in a soft sleeve then slide the open side down into a toploader. There are a few I have in single screw screw-downs also. I have custom wooden boxes made from cedar that are airtight when closed and tamper-proof locks. Each box has 5 toploader width rows and is 18 inches long. Each box lid has an inside pocket to keep a list of the cards and when I add a card or cards I print out a new page(s) of the addition(s).

I have special made 1/16 inch thick Lexan dividers that are 3/8 inch taller than the toploaders and keep the cards separated by year and each divider has the year engraved and painted in on them. Within each year the cards are in alpha order and numerical order of the cards using Beckett's OPG identification system. Oddball cards or those not listed by Beckett are in a separate section of the box but are still on the print out with location noted.

I am also working on a box design to hold my oversize, graded and Highland Mint cards that has easy access and adjustable dividers.

All of this may sound a bit overboard, but I enjoyed designing the boxes and everything connected with storing the cards in an easy to access system.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanTrader
    I have custom wooden boxes made from cedar that are airtight when closed and tamper-proof locks. Each box has 5 toploader width rows and is 18 inches long. Each box lid has an inside pocket to keep a list of the cards and when I add a card or cards I print out a new page(s) of the addition(s).....

All of this may sound a bit overboard, but I enjoyed designing the boxes and everything connected with storing the cards in an easy to access system.
    Sounds great, any pics available? Did you make them yourself? I'm a bit of a woodworker myself and have toying around with the same idea for some time...

Any other boxes? Anything pre-made that someone is using? Something a little more sturdy and secure than the standard cardboard boxes?

I have mine all over the fricken place. :) Binders, binders on a book shelf, sleeved/toploaded, 5K boxes, loose on the pc desk, in drawers, and some in places I don`t even know of. I`m a bit unorganized although I`m pretty sure of every card I have except those ones I`m not sure of. hmmmm? LOL