Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Living Well is the Best Revenge

Collected baseball cards and Starting Lineup figures throughout the 1980s and early 90s but my pocket money pretty much dried up around the same time as the number of annual sets began growing faster than Cecil Fielder's waistline. My wife didn't support my hobby so I put it in the closet, rarely adding to it and looking through things once or twice a year. Shame on me for being surprised a decade later when the succubus sold my collection behind my back during our separation. (That, of course, sealed the direction of the marriage.)

The hobby has changed so much since 1994-95 and I was so bummed about losing all those cards and other collectibles that I just haven't been able to bring myself back to giving it another try. I have decided to allot myself a small budget for spending on cards each month and I am looking forward to getting back into things. I need as much help as I can get, though, as I very much feel like a fish out of water given how different things are today from 20 years ago.

By the way, the new Mrs. "Kluszewski" has encouraged me to return to my second love. (The first being baseball, itself.)

I am a big fan of the Hall of Fame as well as Hall of Fame-caliber players, both old and new. I absolutely love some of the designs I've seen in various card sets I know little about - Fleer Greats of the Game, the Panini Cooperstown sets, etc. - and after giving it a lot of thought I think I'm going to start collecting individual cards of "all time greats" in a binder where I can look at them, with no more than one player per page. Of course I'd be interested in picking up any kind of cards with autographs or game-used material for these players, but those would have to be stored individually in some kind of plastic cases, I suppose. So that's two "collections".

The other is that I want to grab at least one annual set for every year from my birth year forward. I have spent about $100 in the past couple months so far, acquiring every basic Topps set from 1985-1992, Score sets for 1988 and 1990, a 1991 Donruss set, a 1989 Fleer set and Upper Deck sets from 1990-1992. The Topps sets, in particular, cover my high school years so I'm happy about that as a start. There isn't enough room in my home right now, but eventually I would like to put several (if not all) of my annual sets into albums for easy browsing.

One concern I have had is that - when I was collecting years ago - the plastic pages weren't necessarily the highest quality and that cards put in the albums might stick there, particularly after being in the album for a couple of years. (I saw this all the time at dealers or conventions.) I hope there's a better way to store/display one's cards in bulk and/or the pages/albums are a much higher quality today than they were 25 years ago? It would be great to get feedback. After doing some research online, it appears that UltraPro Platinum pages are the best respected these days? As for the D-ring binders, the 3" baseball design one from BCW appears pretty sweet, too. I'd love to get people's thoughts on these or similar products that they would recommend.

Also looking for assistance in sets, even smaller sets, that focus on all-time greats, baseball heroes, Hall of Famers, etc.

One final question: what is the standard for the annual price guide. Does Beckett still put out its annual issue? When is the latest one (including all the 2015 sets) due to be released?

Glad this lifelong baseball fan found this community. I literally Googled "best baseball card forum" and SCF popped right up on the screen!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines

welcome to the site we have many knowledgeable members in the baseball section there is a hobby chat forum there also for your questions so more baseball collectors might help. Hope you enjoy the site.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Atlanta Falcons Indianapolis Colts
    See Jeremy12familyguy's Items on eBay

Hello Brad and welcome to SCF.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Welcome to SCF! Love the word choice used in describing your ex.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Welcome to the site!

Also the quality of all the plastic supplies is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than a few decades ago. Pretty much all of it is good but if you want to be sure just ask on here before you buy it to make sure.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Sorry to hear about any spouse selling off the collection but you found a new love that support your hobby so kudo's on that. Collecting HOF'er is always a solid choice. May you enjoy the site and thanks for the nice intro.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

Welcome to SCF, as Andrew said, nice description! :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Blackhawks Chicago Bears
    Upper Deck ePack

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!!!

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | T.J. Oshie Patch Archive

Hidden Content

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

Welcome to SCF Brad, have fun here and enjoy adding to your collection!