SCF Rewards
    Country

Best and Worst Experiences with Athletes

Hey guys new to the forum so I apologize if there is a thread like this - I was unable to find any.
    This Ad will be removed when you a member of sportscardforum.com

I saw on another site and thought it would be cool for people to post their good and bad experiences with athletes.

I haven't met many, but a few months back I attended a big sports show (mainly baseball). A bunch of HOFers from the Red Sox and a few other guys were there. There were IP signings with Wade Boggs, John Smoltz, Louis Tiant, Andre Dawson, Pedro Martinez, etc. and they were obviously expensive. It was like $200 for an auto. We didn't buy any autos but we did wait until the end of the signings hoping to meet anyone when the crowds were gone. Pedro was pretty much the only guy left and we were hanging out around his area with a lady in a wheelchair who had photos to give him from his HOF ceremony. She handed them to him and he seemed gracious and offered to sign one for her, despite others paying, but she just wanted him to keep them. The lady made small talk with us while we waited and we told her we wanted to simply meet Pedro and being with her definitely helped. A worker or agent kept telling us Pedro was leaving and that we had to go, but Pedro was very willing to talk to the lady for a few minutes before he left. I took a photo of the lady with Pedro and then asked if he would mind taking a photo with us. He was kind and didn't rush the photos and even cracked a joke or two, shook our hands then left. This really showed the humble guy I've always thought he was. Next up - get Pedro to sign the photo i took with him!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @JamesBosoxfan1

That's really cool. I met Will Middlebrooks when he was in A ball in Salem. Really nice kid. Signed talked for awhile and gave me his broken bat. Xander and Travis were great too. JBJ was also really nice. He too talked and enjoyed the fans. Salem is a great place to meet the players before the show.
    I don't update too often but here is my Photobucket
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's awesome. I'm looking forward to moncada and benintendi moving up so I can see them in the New England area...hopefully get something game used. Also met a bunch of players at the final Red Sox games when they meet fans for photos. None signed but JBJ seemed cool. Brock Holt took a selfie with us on a massive tablet that got uploaded to the Red Sox Twitter which was cool too

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @JamesBosoxfan1

That is awesome. Hoping moncada is in Salem to start season. I was working in atlanta last year for a bit and drove to see Greenville play Rome at Rome. No sox signed for me except Longhi and Bryan Hudson. Both really nice kids. Moncada was a man among boys. I felt sorry for the ball when he hit it. It just comes off the bat different. Good luck this year.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I completely understand what you mean by that haha. He was clearly blessed with his genetics. I'm definitely getting into the prospect/minors scene too, hoping to catch future superstars before they blow up and get some autos/game used stuff
    Last edited by roesler723; 03-19-2016 at 10:54 PM.