Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yankees Minor League Camp 3/22

After a couple of tough days over the past week paying for parking, spring training tickets, etc., only to have the away teams send none of their stars on the trip, I decided to just do Yankees minor league camp today (free). Both Single A clubs were playing away, so I went early to try and get them before they left for their game. AA and AAA were both playing at home (in Tampa), so I figured I'd have several hours to get them.

The day did not start out well. I found my first target, Yankees prospect Jorge Mateo, who after working out was leaving the complex to head to the bus for the Single A away game. I had my photo out and asked him if he would sign, and he said he couldn't sign right then. So, the Yankees A teams left and I had nothing to show for it. Looked like a long day.

Then it picked up really well, Tino Martinez, who works with the Yankees minor leaguers, signed a photo for me. I also got James Kaprielian, the Yankees first round pick from last year, on a few cards. I got a few more of the Yankees AAA guys right before the game, before the security guy said he would kick me out if I kept harassing the players. LOL.

The Blue Jays AA and AAA teams had already arrived, but there were a few stragglers. I recognized Roberto Alomar, who is working with the team this year, and asked if he would sign, but he said "not right now".

Nathan Eovaldi and Greg Bird from the NYY (majors) were there and I got them both.

As players were pulled from the game, I got some as they left the field. Roberto Alomar signed a baseball for me when he crossed between fields. I was also lucky enough to get Reggie Jackson, who was not very friendly (but did sign). He signed about 4 or 5, then walked to a side field for a few minutes, then walked back and signed 2 more. I was the last one, and there were maybe three others who did not get him.

After the games were over, I got more players as they left the field, and also got Aaron Judge to sign a baseball for me.

Overall, 24 cards, 1 8x10, and 3 baseballs signed, 2 by Hall of Famers.

IMG_5073.jpgIMG_5074.jpgIMG_5075.jpgIMG_5076.jpgIMG_5077.jpg
    Last edited by mberger718; 03-22-2016 at 08:04 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great successes! Booo the yankees haha.
    I collect vintage in all sports and rookies. However, I do love any Red Sox, Bears, Penguins or Celtics that I need for PC! Need 1959 Topps Baseball cards for a set (ending stages). My cards come from smoke free environment, so please be upfront if your cards are not. Also if your cards are creased or bent, be honest about it.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks! The Yankees are the closest to me and have a lot of star power. It's even been good at the main field where the parent club (New York Yankees) play, over on the side fields before the games. I've gotten a bit addicted to going to the minor leage games since they are free, with free parking, and often at least a couple of major leaguers show up either to play or hang out. Plus, many of the coaches and managers are former players themselves. I am going to AA/AAA Pirates at AA/AAA Yankees and just realized that the manager of the Altoona Curve (Pirates AA) is Joey Cora, who I need for my 1997 Fleer Autographed set (which currently stands at 335/500).

The minor league teams down here play only the local teams for spring training. So, it's always the Yankees (Tampa), Phillies (Clearwater), Pirates (Bradenton), and Blue Jays (Dunedin) for me.