Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Thank You, P.K.! Ten Times P.K. Subban Electrified Habs Fans

By Richard McAdam

As Canadiens fans continue to try and digest the trade that sent P.K. Subban to Nashville for Shea Weber, I find myself in a reflective state of mind. The initial shock has worn off, I’ve read a lot of articles & opinion pieces analyzing the trade, and now I would like to take a little bit of time to look back at some amazing moments that Subban provided Habs fans over the course of his six years in Montreal. I hope that you’ll enjoy the trip as much as I did.

P.K. Subban in warm-up (Photo: Richard McAdam)

P.K. Crushes Brad Marchand

There will be several Boston Bruins-related moments in this retrospective. Rivalries always bring out the best in big-game players, and the biggest rivalry in sports was a great showcase for Subban.

In December 2010, Subban was still a rookie establishing his place with the team. There’s no better way to make yourself loved in Montreal than by wrecking the Bruins, either on the score sheet or in the trenches. Marchand goes from 60-to-zero upon impact, and the fans in the Bell Centre went ballistic.

P.K. Scores Hits First Career Hat Trick

A game against the Minnesota Wild was basically The P.K. Show. In an 8-0 rout, Subban scored three beautiful goals for his first NHL hat trick. The first goal was a tour of the offensive zone that gave us a glimpse of his amazing puck-handling talents, and the second and third were both cannonading drives to the back of the net. Jose Theodore had no answers.

P.K. Puts the Habs in the Playoffs, Gets Buried by Carey Price

During the 2010-11 season, Subban and goalie Carey Price developed the Triple Low Five as a post-victory celebration. The fans loved it. During the stretch run of the season, the Habs played the Blackhawks in a key game—a win would clinch a berth in the post-season. In overtime, the puck was fed to P.K. and he bombed it almost through the net. Instead of the usual post-goal embrace with the skaters, P.K. went down the ice towards Price, who nailed him with a check that rivalled the Marchand crusher above. People loved it.

P.K. Sends Game 7 to Overtime

This goal nearly caused me to hit my head on the ceiling I jumped so high. A hard-fought seven-game series in a rivalry that had escalated to nuclear proportions in the wake of the Chara-Pacioretty incident, the Bruins took a too many men penalty late in the third period, setting the stage for history to repeat itself a la Guy Lafleur in 1979. The skill on this play by Subban is amazing; look how hard that puck is coming to him. To be able to one-time that pass was incredible. The Habs did fall in overtime, but this goal was epic.

That’s four, and I’m only in his rookie season. That’s the type of special player the Habs had.

P.K. at the All-Star Game – This is How You Have Fun!

For years the NHL All Star Game has been decried by some in the media as a waste of time marketing promotion with no added value. For a guy like P.K. Subban, it’s a time for him to flourish and show off his immense charisma, the very thing that attracts people to him and makes him such a popular player. In his rookie year, he “borrowed” Jeff Skinner’s jersey to the delight of the hometown Carolina crowd, and in 2016 he dressed up as the ageless wonder Jaromir Jagr, complete with epic mullet and goal salute, to win the hearts and votes of fans in the Breakaway Challenge.

P.K. Blows Up Ondrej Palat, Sets Up Brendan Gallagher

Oh the 2014 playoffs. This was P.K. at his utter greatest. There were nights where he seemingly willed the team to victory. Game 3 against the Tampa Bay Lightning was the scene of his most spectacular assist, taking the puck around the offensive zone, behind the net, and then feeding Brendan Gallagher for a tap-in. Along the way, Tampa forward Ondrej Palat got his stick jammed on the net, and went (as they say in the Maritimes) “arse over tea kettle.” The look on Gallagher’s face is priceless.

P.K. Scores a Beauty Against the Bruins Right Out of the Box

The 2014 playoffs run continues, and now it’s time to watch him crush the hopes and dreams of the Bruins. His Game 1 goal in double OT was a bomb from the point that silenced the Garden and touched off some ugly racist rants on social media. This one, though, was a marvellous deke that left Tuukka Rask’s jock in the Bell Centre rafters with the 24 Stanley Cup banners. As the Annakin Slayd song “Rock The Sweater” created for the 2014 playoffs goes, “When I want to get all jacked up like a true fan, get in beast mode with my seven-six Subban.”

And his actions on the ice were matched only by his bravado off the ice. Heading into another Game 7, Subban boldly predicted the fate of the Bruins: “It’s going to be great. I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.” The Habs won the game 3-1, and Subban played more minutes than any other player in the game, fulfilling his pledge.

P.K. Does It Again, and This Time He Scores!

After the play against Tampa, P.K. decided to one-up himself against the Colorado Avalanche. In an October 2014 game against the Avs, Subban exploded out of the penalty box to win a race against Tyson Barrie, who then blew a tire pursuing Subban behind the net, leaving P.K. all alone to mercilessly fake out goalie Calvin Pickard. The Bell Centre exploded to its feet at this amazing individual effort.

P.K. Scores a Goal So Nice, He Gets Kissed by Andrei Markov

In the 2015 playoffs opening round series against the Ottawa Senators, the Habs set out to avenge their 2013 defeat. Subban was a major contributor, converting on this one-timer to blow the puck by Andrew Hammond. Post-celebration, teammate Andrei Markov was so caught up in the play that he plants a kiss on Subban.

This was a great prelude to the 2015-16 season home opener, when the Canadiens players participated in the traditional torch ceremony. As Subban was introduced, Markov took a lap pointing at his blue line partner. In the clip, the camera pans to Mme Beliveau in the crowd, clearly enamoured with P.K.

P.K. Off The Ice...a Story of Philanthropy and Community

The largest charitable gift by a Canadian athlete in history, Subban made a $10 million commitment to the Montreal Children’s Hospital last year, and the love affair was complete between Subban and the fans. The gift clearly touched people on a very emotional level, and Subban frequently paid visits to the children there to lift their spirits. He visited them almost every Sunday and on many other unannounced occasions. His community spirit was clearly influenced by the late great Jean Beliveau, and it is said that Mme Beliveau and Subban were very close friends. It was an amazing act that cemented Subban’s larger-than-life persona and his potential to be a figure that transcends his sport. This video for his “Winter Wonderland Surprise” exemplifies his character and quality as a human being.

Bonus: P.K. Makes My Day

Social media is a lot of fun. Every so often, when you’re having fun you get that level of fun escalated by a celebrity taking time from their day to make a comment to you. In his role as brand ambassador for the clothing chain RW&Co., Subban’s image is front and centre on the store front. One day while in the mall I got a picture taken of me, in a Habs sweater, pointing to the sign and I then posted it on Twitter mentioning P.K. in the message. He replied, and I was in a pretty good mood for the rest of that day.

It’s going to be a different Montreal Canadiens experience in the years ahead. The fans will still be there to cheer on their beloved team, and the Bell Centre will still be one of the loudest buildings in the NHL. But having no Subban around any more will change things. The Canadiens have traded away someone who, on any given night, can bring fans out of their seats and roar with applause with his on-ice wizardry. They have also traded away someone who loves the city of Montreal and its people, and has given more of himself to the community than almost any player in the team’s history. His on-ice play dazzles you, but his off-ice commitments inspire you.

Thank you, P.K. Subban, for all you did for the Montreal Canadiens, and for your fans.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

This is awesome, thanks for doing this. But it got me frustrated even more. What a bad move.
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (73)
    Country
    Twitter: @@sholi2000 See sholi2000's Items on eBay

I was at that game in St. Paul when he scored his hat trick. For that game 10 bus loads of Canadiens fans traveled from Winnipeg to watch the Canadiens. I was chatting with our the fans in my little section and they were saying they've never seen anything like this before. They were very in awe of our fans. Nice work Richard.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Let's see the bright side guys, we'll always have those memories, they cannot trade them away...Brilliant work Richard, i'm sure i'm not the only one who got emotional

BANNED

Country

i miss him already

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I think everyone will miss P.K. on the Habs. This was a great read, makes you really appreciate the type of man/player he was with the Habs. The uniform may change. but he won't. Great piece!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Thanks all for the nice words - @sholi2000 I bet that would have been a great game to be at. It was probably that section of fans who started tossing hats right away!