Questions About Creating a Custom Card

So, I have seen other people create custom cards before and I have been itching to learn photoshop. So, I decided what better way to learn how to use some of the photoshop features than create a custom football card. So, I decided I wanted to create a card of the QB of my hometown Oregon Ducks when I was a kid. He never made it to the NFL and outside of 3 oversized Oregon team issues...he never had a card. My hope was to create one and possibly make a print of it and send it to him TTM to be signed.

So, I first needed to decide what the design should look like. My all time favorite set was 1967 Topps football...so I figured I should create a card in the image of that set. So, I set out and spent a lot of time doing it and really worked hard. After several days (working in my spare time)...I finished the design. To be honest, it turned out far better than I could have expected. I'm REALLY proud of it...and it was fun. Also, I did it in such a way that it could be easily used to make cards of others Ducks...who knows, maybe I'll make a set.

My next question is how to make a print of it. I assume I need to get some kind of card stock and I'd rather try and print it out on both sides than have to tape or glue it. Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to do this? I would love to make a couple nice prints of this card. I have a Canon MX922 printer.

I have made a couple small and watermarked examples of the card for you guys...front and back. I thought you'd like to see it. I think it turned out really well...not bad for a first try!

Tony Graziani Collection: 44/49, Autos: 11/13, GU: 2/2
    Have You Seen This Card: 1999 Upper Deck Encore F/X Gold #11 Tony Graziani 1/1
    1967 Topps FB Set: 132/132 - Complete
    1994 UD Collector's Choice Gold FB Set: 384/384 - Complete

2. Check out the deal at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    There probably isn't a better person to ask than

https://www.sportscardforum.com/members/25403-mouschi

His stuff is top notch and I'm pretty sure any question you have he can answer about custom cards.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    There probably isn't a better person to ask than

https://www.sportscardforum.com/members/25403-mouschi

His stuff is top notch and I'm pretty sure any question you have he can answer about custom cards.
    Agreed, that would be the first person i would seek out.

Just wanted to pass along my experience . . . I had been using double-sided matte paper to print the cards front and back, but it was not as "shiny" and clear as glossy, which I could not find in a "double-sided" stock.

I ended up doing the following: I print the photos on separate glossy photo sheets (I use 4 X 6) . . . I have set-up a template that does two 2.5 X 3.5 cards on each 4 X 6 print . . . I have centered the cards on the template, so that on one sheet, I print the front of the card, and on the second sheet I print the back of the card, and they are aligned to the center of the sheet . . .

I then adhere them together using a glue stick that is REPOSITIONABLE . . . the glue does not dry immediately, since it is repositionable, and this allows me to line-up the two cards by their edges . . . since the cards have been centered on the sheet before being printed, they are aligned . . . I then let the glue dry and cut them with a guillotine-cutter . . .

I struggled with double-sided printing for several years, and this method produces the best results . . . when you start, you can also do just one image per page, to get the "feel of it," but make sure the image is centered on the page . . . that will ensure the FRONT and BACK of the card align when you glue them together . . .

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroDMD View Post
    So, I have seen other people create custom cards before and I have been itching to learn photoshop. So, I decided what better way to learn how to use some of the photoshop features than create a custom football card. So, I decided I wanted to create a card of the QB of my hometown Oregon Ducks when I was a kid. He never made it to the NFL and outside of 3 oversized Oregon team issues...he never had a card. My hope was to create one and possibly make a print of it and send it to him TTM to be signed.

So, I first needed to decide what the design should look like. My all time favorite set was 1967 Topps football...so I figured I should create a card in the image of that set. So, I set out and spent a lot of time doing it and really worked hard. After several days (working in my spare time)...I finished the design. To be honest, it turned out far better than I could have expected. I'm REALLY proud of it...and it was fun. Also, I did it in such a way that it could be easily used to make cards of others Ducks...who knows, maybe I'll make a set.

My next question is how to make a print of it. I assume I need to get some kind of card stock and I'd rather try and print it out on both sides than have to tape or glue it. Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to do this? I would love to make a couple nice prints of this card. I have a Canon MX922 printer.

I have made a couple small and watermarked examples of the card for you guys...front and back. I thought you'd like to see it. I think it turned out really well...not bad for a first try!