Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

JP's Custom Cards (TTMs, Relics, 3d printing, more)

I hope to find myself posting here more often. Over the last couple of years I've taken to creating custom cards both for TTM autograph requests and as fun art projects. I"m always looking for cost effective ways to produce them that look professional, take less time than previous iterations, and is repeatable. For relic cards my usual challenge is creating the perfect opening for it. I've used utility knives in the past but cutting through thick card stock leaves rough edges. I've dabbled with Fiskar's heavy materials hole punching but placement is too limited. Fortunately my wife reminded me about the 3D printer they have at our local university.

I sat down and took a crash course (watched YouTube videos) in using SketchUp and designed something quick:

Sent the stl file off to be created:

Created the front and back:

And printed it off, cut it up, and put it all together:

The 3d print job took 4 hours but only cost $1.50. Money well spent to have a flawless relic window to work with. My only complaint is that I need to improve on my fabric cuts. Otherwise I'm very happy to be using this medium. This design was supposed to be for letterman style relics but I misjudged the height which I've since corrected. I've got old Urlacher and Olsen jerseys waiting to be cut up and used to spell ALSHON.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by jplcom; 06-14-2021 at 09:49 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (22)
    Country

Hi,

That's a very unique idea and a really cool (and expensive) machine! You may want to consider cutting your printed design window a little smaller rather than right the plastic window edge. It will picture frame it and hide the rough cut of your relic pieces. Also for thin jersey pieces you may want make the plastic window depth a little less so it fits flush to the top of your card. Again congrats on the new concept!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great idea. Maybe you can make 2 piece. instead of one piece. If you use the cleared plastic, could glue into the cleared plastic and than close it.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country
    Kansas City Royals Chicago Bears St Louis Blues

Super cool! Love the Bears, great lookin' card!

God Bless,

Kevin

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    See aaron417's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

wow that's a great idea, how smooth is the plastic after its complete?

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

You may want to consider cutting your printed design window a little smaller rather than right the plastic window edge. It will picture frame it and hide the rough cut of your relic pieces. Also for thin jersey pieces you may want make the plastic window depth a little less so it fits flush to the top of your card. Again congrats on the new concept!

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm still working on fine tuning the window size but I like the overlap idea and have incorporated it into my designs since you posted the recommendation.

Great idea. Maybe you can make 2 piece. instead of one piece. If you use the cleared plastic, could glue into the cleared plastic and than close it.

Interesting idea, I'll have to check and see if I can source some transparency sheets to test with.

Super cool! Love the Bears, great lookin' card!

God Bless

Thanks!

wow that's a great idea, how smooth is the plastic after its complete?

One side feels relatively smooth though there are some minor waves. The other side has more noticeable ridges to the point where rubbing your finger nail over them produces sound. Fortunately fine grit sand paper can smooth it down if needed. Or using thick enough paper to where it doesn't really matter.

I've made my first booklet style card using a 3d printed base. Doesn't fold open/closed but once it's on display in a holder that won't matter. I need to play with the depths a little more plus find a tool to take care of those rogue threads. And as always work more on my edges, the bane of my artistic existence!

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I cleaned up my first Hester and finished the name plate.

60.jpg

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Marines
    Chicago Bears Atlanta Braves San Antonio Spurs
    See brandon15marshall's Items on eBay

They look pretty awesome man, great work.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    The Bench (105)
    Country
    Kansas City Royals Chicago Bears St Louis Blues

I cleaned up my first Hester and finished the name plate.

60.jpg

AWESOME idea! Are you going to have him sign those?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very cool idea. As for the weight of them, are they heavier than a normal patch card?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast