Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Ohio State Buckeyes Detroit Red Wings

Milestone set challenge part 2 this time it's hitting the ice

Greetings:
    About a couple years ago I set up a little challenge for myself. I wanted to complete the 1975 Topps mini baseball set as a 40th B-day present to myself since I was turning 40 that same year as the set. So this time around I was thinking to try another set in time for my 50th birthday which isn't until June of 2025. Even though I am only 9 years away from turning 50 & so I am 9 cards short I figured that I post on the hockey board since hockey is my 2nd major sport I collect behind baseball I asked others in the baseball version to reflect & got a few responses I figured if hockey people might do better than them. Alrighty then the milestone set I've started thanks to a good friend of mine named Loqtus who also is trying to make the same set as well got me started on it & I gave him the extras after I got the 1st pick. The set is the '79/'80 Topps set featuring the Wayne Gretzky RC. Why that set compared to OPC from the same year simple it's smaller than OPC & plus it helped when Loqtus & I found a 800ct starter at a shop in Clio,Michigan earlier this year. Plus I been picking up a few more singles at shops and shows since then. Hence also why I am down to the 9 remaining cards. Anyways I still lack the Gretzky RC but I like I did with the 1975 Topps mini set with the George Brett & Robin Yount RCs respectively might save that as the final piece before I turn 50. So here's where I like to hear from you people in hockey is there a set that young or old collectors are making for themselves that they wanted to make as a milestone present to themselves that they've always wanted to have or done already. I like to hear from you on it. Also I will periodically provide updates on my progress in where I stand by showing a list of what I need still as well commenting on the final finds as well what other people are trying to accomplish. Oh I should also mentioned at beginning of the post that I also like to finish up the '05/'06 Upper Deck set before I turn 45 & I am down to 2 from completing that one as well & I will talk about that as well. The 2 cards I need for that to be completed are #201-Squidney Crybaby RC that's right you read the name right sorry I just can't stand Sidney hopefully I can find a non-graded 1 for my set & the other is #457 Thomas Vanek but considering that he's now for my local team Detroit Red Wings I might have a chance to get it easier. Well I have rambling on for some time I will be in touch on these sets & I hope to hear from you thanks for reading.
    "Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.
    S.R.'75

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Greetings:
    I have located the baseball thread that I did for my big 4-0 B-Day celebration so you can read the past thread to get an idea what I went through in making the 1975 Topps Mini Set https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...i-turn-the-4-0!!!!!

I have also enclosed the list of the remaining `79/`80 Topps I need still along the `05/`06 Upper Deck that I mentioned in the previous post I hope to hear from set builders no matter what the age as well what you accomplished.

79/`80 TOPPS:
    8B-K.Dryden/T.Esposito/M.Palmateer/M.Lessard/B.Parent LL Corrected Photo
    18-Wayne Gretzky
    44-Dave Lewis
    75-Rick MacLeish

106-Errol Thompson
    129-Dick Redmond
    154-Ron Stackhouse
    184-Greg Carroll

198-Nick Libett

`05/`06 UPPER DECK:

201-Sidney Crosby
    457-Thomas Vanek

As always thanks again for reading.
    Last edited by BSEBALLCOMMISH75; 08-09-2016 at 01:04 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Greetings:
    Well I thought I would give you an update on how I'm doing as you can see the list is down to 3 cards I'm going to be at a show next week Sunday in Redford,Michigan where I hope to find the Dave Lewis card & just maybe the League Leaders card making the Gretzky RC the last card to find to finish this set way much quicker than I did w/the 1975 Topps Mini Baseball Set. Anyways I liketo hear something at least from someone else other than myself posting don't be afraid & thanks again for your support in getting this goal accomplished before 2025.
    79/`80 TOPPS:
    8B-K.Dryden/T.Esposito/M.Palmateer/M.Lessard/B.Parent LL Corrected Photo
    18-Wayne Gretzky
    44-Dave Lewis

I still need the '05/'06 UD cards listed in the previous post.
    Last edited by BSEBALLCOMMISH75; 11-07-2016 at 02:10 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joshpackham's Items on eBay

wow you have made great progress, picking up a vanek shouldn't be too bad, can get one for about 3.00 US on COMC
    Hidden Content
    I collect Ovechkin, Matt Johnson and Nathan Horton

MY PC
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Greetings:
    Well.....I have a major update on this post to say that I am now down to 1 card on my '79/'80 Topps set. I went to a card show in Redford,Michigan that I've been trying to locate the last 3 cards & been unsuccessful up until today when I stumbled upon a dealer who had singles I thought I give a chance to see if I could find the #44 Dave Lewis or the #8 corrected version of the League Leaders card. Well I found not 1 but 2 Dave Lewis cards I picked them both 1 for my set & 1 for a friend of mine who also is trying to make the set the price for the 2 cards were free I couldn't complain about the price so I went on my way to another dealer who had a complete set with the corrected version of the League Leaders card I needed he was selling the set at $500.00 I then brought to the guy's attention that he needed 1 card the error card to have a complete master set so the guy who had the Lewis cards had the error card so he was lime see what he wants again free so I went back to complete set guy gave him the error card then he said you want the correct version I'll take the error you can have my corrected version as a swap how much I ask for the corrected 1 again free. Once more I couldn't complain about the price so now the update on the set I think if you been reading this adventure & waited for any new news you can see I'm now down to the ultimate card #18 that's right I'm down to the Wayne Gretzky RC with 8 years 3 days til I turn the big 5-0!!!!! I will hope that I can see if I can get this card done at this years National Sports Card Convention in Chicago so I like to hear from my hockey brothers to what you think of the latest news on this post as well what I been asking about in the previous entries. I look forward to hearing from you & again thanks for reading.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I know your op was a while back but I'm realatively new to the board and this is the first time I saw it. Great call with that year and set. I love it. I currently have #3 on on the PSA set registry and have raw sets that could have helped you if Id seen this sooner. If you have any that are in rougher shape I'd be happy to search through my raw sets to see if we can upgrade you so let me know.

If you get the monthly PSA magazine they had a great article about the '79 Topps set last Summer I believe. I'll have to see if I can find it and I'll post it for you.

Congrats on the set,
    Kevin

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Chicago Cubs Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @@BartenderRon47 COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That's one heck of an accomplishment! Congrats. You should be able to track down a Gretzky well within your 8 year limit!
    Always looking for Senators cards! Must be a draft pick, or the card is identifiable as a Senators card before I want it!
    Until further notice, I ship on Mondays. Only day off, so only chance to get to the Post Office.
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Greetings:
    I still wish to locate a raw #201 of the 05/06 UD & the Vanek I need for that set still. Thanks for the info about the PSA magazine I'm not going to lie & say that I'm not a huge fan of graded cards. Also to Senators collector I'm just glad it's just the Gretzky I lack & not the Dave Lewis or any other common player.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Greetings:
    Well I'm glad to find something to go w/the `79/`80 Topps Hockey set. I attended my usual monthly show in Redford,Michigan earlier this month saw that a dealer had what I thought was a complete set of the 21 Sticker inserts only to find out it wasn't a complete set bummed about it after haggling a better price savings of $5 I was lost for 5 stickers to complete it. After checking w/a few resources to help me out I made a plea for the missing stickers & someone responded to the plea all it cost me was 2 Game Used cards which I don't mind giving to them I can't wait for them to arrive in the mail soon to be placed w/the set. I'm currently still ahead of my schedule still trying to find the Gretzky as well the 2 from the `05/`06 Upper Deck set I wish I could find still an inexpensive #201 ungraded version of that Swell Old Badger so I don't have to look at the name anymore. Anyways I wanted to give folks an updated report on the project hopefully dusting it up might get some new ideas from others that didn't read it the post when I started working on the project. Hopefully this will help them out.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Greetings:
    I thought I would shake this old post up & give it a major waking up plus give a major update on how the hunt goes. Well if you read the previous posts & some of your comments I'm currently still on course to complete it before I turn the 5-0. I'm now 45 years old now I be the 5-0 in 4 years 9 months. So back in January of this year I was excited about going to be in Atlantic City & find the exclusive Oilers rookie of Wayne Gertzky lol when I thought I would see to be 100% sure that I was not missing any other cards in the set make sure I had both versions of card of the Shutout Leaders card then make sure all the checklist cards are unmarked got all 21 of the insert team stickers as well the variant of the Montreal Canadiens sticker. Then Covid19 starts preventing me from going to attend the National Convention so I have to wait. So I had time to check everything & it was going good until I saw that there was another version of the Shutout Leaders card. Huh!!!!! Now just the minute you mean there is 3 versions of that card. NO NO NO NO.....I'm not hearing that LA LA LA LA.......well unfortunately there is the thing is most of you hockey card collectors know about 2 of the 3 there's the mistake identifying Mike Palmateer as Mario Lessard & then there's the correction of them. The new 1 I found out is the names are correct however looking closely at the '2' by Palmateer's name it is touching his name well I asked a friend to help me find this one hopefully it won't cost me a bunch well they found me 2 of them 1 for me & another for a friend. So I just got them recently got them so now again I still need the Gertzky RC hopefully next year if things can get better they allow us collectors to attend the National Convention in Rosemont,Illinois I can find it or I can find it at a monthly show at decent price. So in the meantime I thought I would give an update on the progress & like the previous posts I look forward to hearing from others on my latest adventure in making this set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast