Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: TTM Question

SCF Rewards
    Country

TTM Question

Hello,

I've been debating sending some stuff out to try to get it signed TTM. However, how do I shut up that voice in my head that tells me this may have been signed by someone other than the athlete? Anyone have any tips or anything? Maybe articles or videos that show that some athletes really do sign this stuff. Thanks!

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

Some athletes post on their Twitter or Instagram accounts that they are going through and signing stuff, and have sent out photos of the stack of mail they receive.
    However, you can never be 100% sure, regardless of what other people say or what an authentication company says. Nothing makes me madder than when someone says that it is a known fact that x person never signs, and they are all fakes. Unless you are that person, or live with that person, how do you know this for a fact?
    Obvious stamps are different, which is one of the reasons I try to always send two different cards to get signed, and then compare the two signatures.

At the end of the day, you just have to take it on faith, or you really can't enjoy the hobby.

-arfmax
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

SCF Rewards
    Country

Unfortunately its impossible to shut the voice in your head. As mentioned above, it is impossible to know for sure. People will spend hours comparing their TTM auto to IP or certified autos of that person, but at the end of the day you really have no idea who signed it no matter how much you want to believe. It goes the same for the other way, just because it doesn't look like their certified autos doesn't mean it's for sure fake. You just never know but all you can do is hope. Even if 25-30% of your autos were real it is still worth the few stamps and the time it takes to write letters.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I will state that I have sent to and received thousands of TTM autographs. The crazy part is that should I ever want to send to authenticate many of them that it would cost more to do so than the value of the autograph! At the same time I am thrilled to have autographs in my collection of stars like Duke Snider, Dale Sr., Stan Musial and many other HOF members who have passed that I otherwise would not have in my collection. The choice to send an item is up to you, but the cost of a few stamps and a couple of common cards that otherwise would have just been sitting in a 5.000 count box or pitched is pretty cheap for adding to my collection an autograph that that I actually want. You tell me if it is worth the risk to you. It also is fun to grab the stars on the way up like I was able to do with guys like David Price and Buster Posey who do not sign in a ton of products or even guys who played for my team and do not have a large hobby outcry to be in regular sets like Tom Browning. It is all up to you in the long run, but it seems like a cheap way to make a common card into a collectible.