Interesting article claims Ty Cobb not racist / dirty / murderer

I read this and found it very interesting - would be a shame if, after all these years, he was not what many reported about him!

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/who-w...w-thats-wrong/

2. Check out the deals at Bear Ridge Collectibles eBay Store
    I don't know how accurate or not the article is but what I do know is that a lot of history that people know is not correct so this wouldn't shock me. For the life of me I could never figure out why Cap Anson wasn't as hated as Cobb since he was the guy who basically put the color line in baseball. Yet he gets little to no hate for it. Maybe it was because Cobb was better? Who knows.

As for the history point I'll just throw out a couple baseball ones to get my point across.

1. Jackie Robinson wasn't the first black baseball player. He was the first to "break the color barrier". I'd be shocked if 1% of baseball fans could even name the first black baseball player to play.

2. Josh Gibson hit more home runs than Babe Ruth. A lot of people seem to think this and even Topps got into the act when they purchased a bat from the Gibson estate but almost nobody seems to know that Gibson didn't even hit the most home runs in the Negro League. I'm not going to look the total up now so I don't know what the number was exactly but it wasn't even 500 home runs. He also unfortunately died of a brain tumor at a very early age so he unlikely would have even hit more MLB home runs than Ruth if he was allowed to play in the MLB at the time. Still a great HOF slugger but whoever started the story of his HR total is one of the greatest story tellers of all time.

Also considering that baseball historians go back and forth on who invented the game and when all the time should probably give you a good idea that the early history of baseball isn't really set in stone.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    I don't know how accurate or not the article is but what I do know is that a lot of history that people know is not correct so this wouldn't shock me. For the life of me I could never figure out why Cap Anson wasn't as hated as Cobb since he was the guy who basically put the color line in baseball. Yet he gets little to no hate for it. Maybe it was because Cobb was better? Who knows.

As for the history point I'll just throw out a couple baseball ones to get my point across.

1. Jackie Robinson wasn't the first black baseball player. He was the first to "break the color barrier". I'd be shocked if 1% of baseball fans could even name the first black baseball player to play.

2. Josh Gibson hit more home runs than Babe Ruth. A lot of people seem to think this and even Topps got into the act when they purchased a bat from the Gibson estate but almost nobody seems to know that Gibson didn't even hit the most home runs in the Negro League. I'm not going to look the total up now so I don't know what the number was exactly but it wasn't even 500 home runs. He also unfortunately died of a brain tumor at a very early age so he unlikely would have even hit more MLB home runs than Ruth if he was allowed to play in the MLB at the time. Still a great HOF slugger but whoever started the story of his HR total is one of the greatest story tellers of all time.

Also considering that baseball historians go back and forth on who invented the game and when all the time should probably give you a good idea that the early history of baseball isn't really set in stone.
    Moses Fleetwood Walker

I've seen the movie and read the book, Cobb, and I'm convinced Stump was a hack. It's too bad that our record of one of the game's best players is forever damaged because a lazy writer wanted to promote a terribly under-researched book. Combine that with a public only interested in headlines and not substance, and you'll find that Cobb's legacy will likely never recover. I find it hard to believe that now, a century removed from his heyday, we will ever find the truth, but I commend this new author for his search.
    Stuck in the 90s, I collect all things and everything Hidden Content .
    Hidden Content

Greetings:
    I have read numerous articles,books,& met numerous people who interviewed players from the era of when Cobb played. Currently I am in the process of reading the latest book of Cobb that's entitled 'War on the Basepaths:The Definitive Biography of Ty Cobb" by Tim Hornbaker. I am 1 of a few that know that Moses Fleetwood Walker was the first African-American player to play organized baseball in the 1880s from Oberlin College in Ohio. As for the total number of home runs that Negro League player Josh Gibson hit in his career again it depends on who you were to ask. So in conclusion I have heard pro's & con's of the author of the article in how he comes to bringing light to the National Pastimes past.
    "Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.
    S.R.'75
    Hidden Content

You're correct on the Fleet Walker. I recently just was the only one, on a church bus trip to see the "Nat's" play the Braves, that knew he was the first black baseball player in big league baseball. Everyone else thought it was Jackie Robinson.

So far as Josh Gibson hitting more HOME RUNS than the "Babe", it will NEVER be known. The reason, records were not kept 100% in the NEGRO League's at that time.

Have a good day.

I realize this is an old thread but if you haven't listened to the audiobook of "The Glory of Their Times" by Lawrence Ritter then you should. The book is a great read but the audiobook is even better because you get to hear the actual interviews with the players. The interview with Hans Lobert started me on a search for his cards.

All the men interviewed for that book played with, or against, Cobb. Davy Jones and Sam Crawford are both interviewed in depth, and specifically about Cobb. I know I came away from the book with a different view of Cobb than the general perception but they all still considered him a rotten human being off the field. They all agreed that he wasn't a dirty player though. He sharpened his spikes but he never cut anyone intentionally.