Post 1980/81 O Pee Chee #87 Wayne Gretzky

SO I have the 80/81 #87 Wayne Gretzky 2nd team All star card autographed. Ive had this card since it came out and it looks like it has never been touched. I also had it autographed by Wayne, does anyone have an idea of what the value is?

2. Check out the Auctions from Packrip.com
    Have you had it slabbed and authenticated? This would go a long way to selling your card at auction or to a Gretzky collector. Buyers will need to have trust that it is legitimate.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

I have not had it authenticated, but I do know it is genuine as I am the one who had Wayne sign it in 1981 or 82. I am curious what the value would be, then decide if I would have it graded and the autograph authenticated. I wouldn't want to spend $100 to authenticate/grade a card that is worth $50

Just my personal opinion, but with any IP auto of a high value player, it would be good to get it graded and authenticated anyway. If not, it may not sell like you think it will, because collectors nowadays only trust word-of-mouth to a certain extent, if at all. So much fake stuff out there on the secondary market. So if you were to spend money on this card to get it graded/authenticated, I think it would payoff of you decide you really want to sell it.

Collectors want things authenticated. It's different if you were good friends with a potential buyer, who may take your word no questions asked, but opening up your selling option on eBay (for example), collectors need that authenticated proof, especially an older Gretzky auto.

Hypothetically speaking, If I saw your listing on eBay, an ungraded/authenticated Gretzky auto on an older card. Would I believe you? Sure, why not. Would I bid? Probably not.

It sucks, but that's the way it is now. But all things aside, I know where you're coming from, and I get the tough spot it may put you in when decided to send the card off to a company to check it out.

I've personally never purchased any card/mem. That wasn't authenticated prior to the purchase. Ever. As a collector, I need to know the stuff I'm buying is legit.

Just my 2 cents on this matter. I wish you all the best with this incredible card!
    Last edited by creasecollector; 08-30-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Lets say I get it graded and the autograph authenticated, what would you propose to be the value? I'm not looking for an exact amount just ballpark. I dont know if I would ever want to sell it but I am curious of what the value is.

Quote Originally Posted by shawners View Post
    Lets say I get it graded and the autograph authenticated, what would you propose to be the value? I'm not looking for an exact amount just ballpark. I dont know if I would ever want to sell it but I am curious of what the value is.
    Not an expert in the value department here, but one option is to put it up on ebay for an outrageous asking price with a Best Offer option and see if anyone throws some numbers your way to gauge what your card might fetch.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content