Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I too am a frustrated CC 7.0 user. Since I primarily collect pre-war hockey the old databases work just fine for me. That said, I would love to be able to export all my data into a current database manager that would preserve the 'history' and 'graded' functions. I have been running the Windows XP compatible program in Windows 10 legacy mode, but who knows how long that functionality will continue to exist. The work-around for that will be running Windows XP as a virtual machine.
    Has anyone tried to deconstruct the CC database language. There must be a software translator out there that would work. Does anyone know what language that database was written in?

SCF Rewards
    Country

So welcome to the club of people that have used the program for a long time. I started with CC in the DOS days and I have over 350,000 cards. I did get some help with a new on-line product SportscardsDB but that guy folded up pretty fast and he had no database of current/past cards. I fear the day that MSFT kills the ability to run it, but I have successfully got it running, the secret is to start it up in Admin mode, just right click on the icon and then click on Run As Administrator, it will start right now. Since MSFT has said there is no Windows 11 or 12 and they will keep building on 10 I think we're okay for now.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for your advice. I'm continuing to use it with fingers crossed! Let's hope there is a programmer out there who can look at the code and see what language it's written in. I'm sure they did not create a new database language themselves!

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is very unlikely, what I have found is that there is no real solution that solves the problem like Card Collector did. I have posted up here before about this, the company passed through many different hands of the 25 years I owned the product, but the last guy was such a jerk!!! I sent him feedback on the program and his reply was so snarky that I kept it in a folder...I will not cut and paste it in here, but at the end they never updated the product for 10 years (Version 7 was out for over 10 years) and never really adopted anything on the web, but I would have still paid that jerk a few bucks a year for updates if I could because I have over 300,000 cards input in there and while the SportsCardsDB was a decent site the reporting wasn't there and any new stuff needed to be input manually.

For now I think we're good to use the Old Card Collector in Admin mode on Windows 10. I may have a Card Collector CD someplace in my house but who knows how old it really is given they didn't change the versions. The program is VERY tricky to get the database working and can often put the file in odd places. I haved moved the program from 3 different computers in the last 10 years and since I don't trust the install disk (this may take me back several updates) I move the whole folder onto the new computer, move the database file .ccc extension and then when you start the program i will give you the missing .DLL files you need to go find on the old computers x86 Program Files folder. once you track all those down your finally back up and running, then you load the .ccc file and hopefully your thousands of hours of input are saved. I do a backup nearly every single I time I am in there and I also keep a full backup of everything on my OneDrive just in case my whole computer takes a dump.

if someone is still looking for CD ping me, I can make a copy and mail to you.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Card Collector on Windows 10?

Can someone explain how you got the Card Collector software working in windows 10? I have the original CD for version 7.0 but when I try to load it on a machine (by double clicking the "Setup" file, even as the administrator, it immediatly says "This app can't run on your PC...to gind a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." It seems like others have gotten it to run in windows 10. What was your process? I've love to at least get this running long enough that I could somehow export the information out to excel or into another potentially usable program.

Thank you.

-Scott

SCF Rewards
    Country

Try www.baseballcardinventory.com, its free and probably can import you inventory into your account

SCF Rewards
    Country

Card Collector program

So, I have Windows 11 and have been using the program fine ever since I downloaded it. Like most people, I've been using The Card Collector ever since it came out close to 20-25 years ago. I honestly don't remember how long its been out. But, in the last month, my computer automatically downloaded an update and now the program stopped working. I went to a restore point from two months ago, and the program started working again. So, then about two weeks ago, the computer updated again, and the program stopped working again. However, this time, the old restore point I had, disappeared. The latest restore point is from last week. I don't know what happened, but now I can't get the program to work anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I am not reading thru all the threads again but I think some folks had to have the physical copy of the disk to install. Might want to tag or pm members that have commented on this that are still around. It stinks when a good thing no longer works.

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

I still have the discs, and I reinstalled them yesterday. And, they still do not work. It is because of the Windows updates.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I still have the discs, and I reinstalled them yesterday. And, they still do not work. It is because of the Windows updates.

I would tag some of the folks in the thread to see if they have found a go around.

DON

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast