Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I LOVED this software and had been using it for many years ever since I purchased my first computer back in the 1990s. It is a shame that BECKETT has the power to put these people out of business! I did not really care about pricing; but wanted to manage my inventory effectively. I have over 500,000 cards entered into the software and its ease of use was FANTASTIC!!!! I would purchase updates periodically so I could enter my new cards. If BECKETT really wanted to please the collectors; they could support this software and charge for the updates. This would include their pricing. I tried to use their system; but it is not user friendly when entering a mass amount of cards. I think they are missing the boat with a variety of collectors. They could promote this product to card shops throughout the nation if they had a good collection management software. Please provide me any suggestions on how to move my collection to another software program as I do not have the time to go through this entire collection again and enter the cards. IT WAS LITERALLY ALMOST 20 YEARS OF USING THIS SOFTWARE AND ADDING CARDS! PLEASE find out a SOLUTION and make your customers happy!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Anybody have any news about a new program out similar to Card Collector? I have been using since the ear;y 90's also and loved it. I just want to be able to keep an inventory of my massive collection. Any help is appreciated.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have looked and looked, sorry I don't come in here too often. I had a major fire at my home, thankfully my card collection was safe. I rescued my old computers (just smoke not fire) and the system that had the CC software would boot and I could see the collection file, however, the system would blue screen too often. I took the CC 7 software and finally got it all working on the new Dell Windows 10 Intel 7. Man, as much as I HATED that ™™™™™™™ that owned the company (I still have an email from him telling me that my ideas for improvement for the software were not welcome) I wish they were still around.

There is no real alterative for me, given I have 250,000 cards in here, even if I just wanted to inventory just my 1950's to 1970's that would involve more than just hours and hours, it would weeks and weeks. For now I can export the collection file in Excel, this is an inventory not a working document. F-Beckett's, I am going to spend little to nothing with them in the future for their predictory ways.

That said I am now more than ever happy to be collecting back in my house after 5 months living in a rental house. I love the idea of an open source, if only we could get the CC 7 source code. I am sure Beckett destroyed that big time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Just for fun...after I sent an e-mail to these these guys...this was about 3 years ago, here was there horrible reply...No wonder they are out of business. HB Sanders, hope you are living in a card board box :)

Jeff
    We never thought that you were trying to something for free. Your email was so strong and
    passionate towards the program "screaming Windows 3.1"
    While we do agree with you that some aspects of the program need to be brought closer to
    the 2000's - it is not nearly as bad as you made it out to be.
    If your program does not show cards beyond 2008 - you definitely have something wrong and
    I'm sure tech support could correct most of your issues.

We have a great group of subscribers. They concentrate on the sets being added each month
    and no some much on things that may need improvement. We do have plans to release a version 8.0
    on a completely different platform. It has been in the works for awhile and it takes time. The
    transition needs to be seamless and have the ability to import all customers current databases -
    without a hitch. It will get done but I cannot tell you when.

I honestly wanted to tell you to find another software. We don't need or want customers that come
    off as "know it alls" and that seemed to be the direction you were heading. We always want to be
    fair with our customers but we refuse to service customers that potentially appear to be chronic
    complainers that look to get an update and then request a refund. Decisions on these types of customers
    can be seen from a mile away and as I said in my previous email - we don't need it.

Your Customer ID is 55829. We will list you as a Platinum customer if you want to get an update.
    Since it has been so long since your last update - you will need the update on CD.
    I sure hope I am making the right call here - please don't make me regret this decision.

Thanks
    HB Sanders
    CPP Inc
    www.thecardcollector.com

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

So I am a rookie here, I have a good sized baseball card collection but I primarily collect vintage stuff. I bought a ton of crap on the cheap in the 90's, I guess I can have a bonfire one day to get rid of the 1000's of Donruss, Fleer, Upperdeck and Topps 1987 to 1992 stuff I bought at Costco and then bought for $5 bucks a box from my local dealer in the later 90's.

Anyhow, I have over 250,000 cards, they are all cateloged in a program called the Card Collector 7.0. All of them, all 250k to the penny. I have used this package for years, literally since the early 90's when it was still DOS software and came on 3.5 disks. I have kept up with it getting updates annually...the company changed hands many times and went most recently to the biggest jerk this side of anywhere. I tried to give him some suggestions for making the software better and pointed out that he was still on version 7.0 for 5 years. I am IN THE SOFTWARE business, you don't do that.

Anyhow, long story short the program was pretty darn good and with no way of easy export I was sort of stuck with it. I went to do my annual update and BANG - Beckett bought them, for what I don't know as they cancelled the product. They gave me 3 months of Beckett premium, which is worthless for cataloging of cards. So question, anybody else get burned by this and any suggestions on other programs?

Thanks, this may be my first post

Jeff,
    I have a guy that uses the same inventory system as you do and he has been doing it for years. I know he has all his stuff on his computer as when we set up at the Nationals this year he pulls out his computer and plugs away at numerous sets from various years so he does not buy duplicates. If you would like me to ask him what he is doing now I will gladly do so. As he had the same great story about Beckett and their freebie of one of their service which does not help you in any shape or form in cataloging your cards.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would kill for an online trading platform that displays your cards in a 3x3 album format and lets users select cards from the page to propose the trade. Does anything like this exist?
    Last edited by bigbluesd; 08-18-2017 at 02:45 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The story on Card Collector is - it was "acquired" by Beckett as settlement for a lawsuit.
    Beckett went after every smaller company (online & disk) accusing them of using Card Value information from Beckett's Price Guides, thereby breaching Beckett's Copyright.
    Since most of these companies were small (less than 5 "employees") they settled like Card Collector, as they couldn't afford to fight it. (NOTE: In Canada there are laws to prevent large companies from doing this to small companies based on financial capability, but I guess that's not the case in the USA.)

Just some info on the story of their demise and why.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@BlakesBreaks Packrip.com Traders Upper Deck ePack

There is an inventory manager on here that you could use but it would be painful to enter all those cards

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would be happy to hear what he's doing with the CC. I too keep using the program, but I have issues wiht it left and right.

I think Beckett could have just let companies like this one alone, their program is an on-line thing, completely different. Plus these guys used Tuff Stuff, now did Tuff Stuff go out of business too?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I would be happy to hear what he's doing with the CC. I too keep using the program, but I have issues wiht it left and right.

I think Beckett could have just let companies like this one alone, their program is an on-line thing, completely different. Plus these guys used Tuff Stuff, now did Tuff Stuff go out of business too?

Per my friend chat:

On the card front, I've used Card Collector since about 1991.
    I have almost 1.2 million cards inventoried on it.
    My version is from late 2015, and is the last one I was able to purchase.
    I've added quite a few sets myself, both Sports & Non-Sports, that were missing.

As stated before Beckett is a business that is looking to crush the competition. If they gain a few users from making other cease using other forms of a inventory system they will do so.

As for Tuff Stuff they went out of business I believe in 2011. So with no pricing information that why Beckett could go after them legally if they used their prices.

Don

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast