Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

2016 Topps Apex Soccer Hobby box for review

First and foremost, I'd like to thank our sponsors at Topps for providing us with this box

Topps is releasing the popular Apex Soccer yet again with a few changes. This product focuses on Major League Soccer. With yet another release in the pipeline Soccer fans have plenty of choices out there in the hobby.

The cards are on a thin stock but like last year they are all action shots. Once again the graphics are edgy. This may not be some collectors cup of tea but they sure do look good in my opinion. The downside for some will be that the autographs are sticker auto's. So just a heads up for those collectors out there that abhor sticker auto's. A nice addition to the product is the card for a free pack of diggs TAO trading cards. With digital cards becoming a viable part of the hobby it a good move on Topps part to include these.

The base set is comprised of 100 cards. The set includes many of MLS biggest stars and rookies such as Jordan Morris and the #1 overall pick Jack Harrison. The cards are all action shots with the background muted. The stock of the cards is on the heavier side for a product that has a lot of base. We pulled 56 base with no duplicates. So it will take collectors probably on average 5 boxes to put a base set to ret. The base cards have 4 parallel versions as well:
    Green
    Red (#'ed to 5, HOBBY ONLY)
    Purple (#'ed to 1)

The crest jumbo relics are a hobby only set. They feature a big Memorobilia swatch that represents the MLS crest. They are all numbered. These hits fall at the rate of one per master hobby box.

The crest jumbo relics will include the following parallels:
    Red Patch Parallel: (#'ed to 5)
    Red Collar Parallel: Including a prime collar piece from the jersey collar
    Purple shield parallel: featuring the miniature MLS Shield from the back jersey number
    Purple Team Parallel : featuring a multi-color patch piece from the team name logo on jersey neck
    Purple Adidas parallel: featuring the Adidas Logo
    Printing Plates

The main autographs consist of the same card compromising the base set. The exact parallel versions exist for the autographs as well:
    Green
    Red (#'ed to 5, HOBBY ONLY)
    Purple (#'ed to 1).

Cost per hobby box $37 to $40 a box

What we pulled:

Final Thoughts:

Base- 4/5
    Design - 4/5
    Fun - 4/5
    Value - 3.5/5
    Rebuy - 3.5/5
    Overall 18/25 (72%)

No Purchase Necessary (NPN's) and Stated Odd's:

Once again, I'd like to thank our wonderful sponsors at Topps for giving us the opportunity to open and review this release. For more information on all of their products, visit them today at www.topps.com.

If you wish to request a few base cards or an insert card please send a SASE. Contact me and I will pull the card for you. VIP Members get preference for supporting SCF.

Last edited by doniceage; 09-29-2016 at 06:25 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do not collect soccer cards, but I really like the design of the product.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you doniceage for another great review!

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I do not collect soccer cards, but I really like the design of the product.

In the same boat.

Thank you doniceage for another great review!

Anytime!

Don