NHL, NHLPA expect World Cup of Hockey to return in 2020

TORONTO
    The World Cup of Hockey will return, without a doubt, and avoid another 12-year break.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly and NHLPA Executive Director Don Fehr both confirmed for The Associated Press on Friday that they expect the next World Cup of Hockey to be in 2020.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/ent...#storylink=cpy
    Customized Shoes for any occasion!
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!

I know it wasn't for everyone, but I personally liked the World Cup of Hockey. I hope the NHL'rs get to go to the Olympics and all, but I will be definitely looking forward to 2020 and see which changes are coming to the World Cup, and looking forward to another sweet tournament!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury, Carey Price

I had a hard time taking the tournament seriously, as soon as they added Team Rest of Europe, and Team Under-24 North America...... not because I didn't think those teams could compete, but because it takes away from it being a true international best-on-best.

If I were running things in 2020: Take the top 6 teams again, and do some kind of mini play in tourney for the top 4 (or 8?) right before it starts.

Assuming the rankings in 4 years are the same as they are now:

7 Switzerland
    8 Slovakia
    9 Belarus
    10 Germany
    11 Norway
    12 Latvia
    13 Denmark
    14 France

Have 7 play 14, 8 play 13, etc, etc, etc.

One game elimination. Assume the top ranked teams all win... that would leave 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9. One game elimination. Winners of those games advance to the main tourney.

(Yes, you could probably drop the first round. The chances of 13 or 14 beating 7 or 8 are pretty slim.... but 11 over 10 or even 12 over 9 wouldn't be that big of a surprise).

Going forward: The top 6 teams in the tourney automatically qualify for the next one (4 years later) and you take the top-8 ranked nations for the qualifer before the tourney each time.

Do that, make it a legit tournmanet, and end Olympic Participation.

I loved the World Cup and everything about it including Team NA and Team Europe. Team NA vs Sweden was one of the best games I've watched in a long time. I do hope it returns in more of less the same form in 2020 but who knows...even McD will be semi old by then lol

Quote Originally Posted by 30ranfordfan View Post
    Do that, make it a legit tournmanet, and end Olympic Participation.
    While I certainly like the idea of adding more nations and getting rid of the made-up teams, I still think they should continue to participate in the Olympics. Winning the World Cup of Hockey would certainly be nice, but kids don't grow up dreaming about it. It is just not the same as representing your nation in the Olympics.

I don't care about all the NHL complaints about the Olympics. We all know the whole debate is ALL about money. "Shutting down" for a couple weeks is not as big a deal as they make it out to be. The players that don't go certainly like the time off. Olympic exposure definitely gets more people interested in the sport. Face it, the ONLY people who watch the World Cup are people that are already hockey fans, so it really doesn't do much to grow the game.

IMHO, they should do the WC and Olympics every four years, two years apart. Change the World Championships to just every two years, in the off years. Then you have one major world event each year, and they would all be at different times, so you'd have different groups of players representing each year. Plenty for everyone.

And if the WC really wants to be considered legitimate, they are eventually going to have to hold it outside North America. Can't have it in Canada each time and expect the world to really care about it. But then the NHL/NHLPA wouldn't be able to control everything, and they would have to give up some of the money. So that might never happen.
    SHARKS and CAPITALS Fan +++ Tomas Hertl cards: 512 & counting Hidden Content ...... Hidden Content
    Whales: 03-04 Topps Pristine Die-Cut Gold Refractor #67 Sergei Gonchar (#/33)

Do a full qualification tournament in Europe the year before each World Cup for all teams who are between 7-14 in the rankings at the end of the World Championships split them into two pools have them play round robin and top two from each pool play in semi and the winners of each pool play final to pick their pool, top 4 teams all move on to make it a 10 team tournament in 2020. Play the tournament in a large European venue with NHL ice like they did this year for the European exhibition games. Promote the hell out of it, with the NHL logo all over the place and bring over some of the NHL Stars/Alumni to help sell them and the NHL game.

Also multiple venues for the WC with no afternoon games and add quarter finals. Sportsnet, TSN, ESPN or whoever bid on it can carry more than one game a night.
    Collecting Players from Newfoundland & Labrador, NHL, WHA, AHL, Junior, & Euro Leagues. Also collecting 90-91 UD buybacks, & tributes.
    Bucket: Emptied out as Photobucket are money grubbers with ridiculous rates any professional company would find outrageous, let alone private users.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecole141 View Post
    Also multiple venues for the WC with no afternoon games and add quarter finals. Sportsnet, TSN, ESPN or whoever bid on it can carry more than one game a night.
    I doubt too many Europeans would want to attend games at midnight, just so we can see games in prime time. And I am certain the players are not going to want to play then. I know we have problems understanding it sometimes, but the entire world does not revolve around the EST zone.
    SHARKS and CAPITALS Fan +++ Tomas Hertl cards: 512 & counting Hidden Content ...... Hidden Content
    Whales: 03-04 Topps Pristine Die-Cut Gold Refractor #67 Sergei Gonchar (#/33)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky94 View Post
    While I certainly like the idea of adding more nations and getting rid of the made-up teams, I still think they should continue to participate in the Olympics. Winning the World Cup of Hockey would certainly be nice, but kids don't grow up dreaming about it. It is just not the same as representing your nation in the Olympics.

I don't care about all the NHL complaints about the Olympics. We all know the whole debate is ALL about money. "Shutting down" for a couple weeks is not as big a deal as they make it out to be. The players that don't go certainly like the time off. Olympic exposure definitely gets more people interested in the sport. Face it, the ONLY people who watch the World Cup are people that are already hockey fans, so it really doesn't do much to grow the game.

IMHO, they should do the WC and Olympics every four years, two years apart. Change the World Championships to just every two years, in the off years. Then you have one major world event each year, and they would all be at different times, so you'd have different groups of players representing each year. Plenty for everyone.

And if the WC really wants to be considered legitimate, they are eventually going to have to hold it outside North America. Can't have it in Canada each time and expect the world to really care about it. But then the NHL/NHLPA wouldn't be able to control everything, and they would have to give up some of the money. So that might never happen.
    When did players start growing up dreaming of Olympic Gold? I'm not saying they don't - but it's a pretty new thing if they do. Is it a bigger deal to them than a Stanley Cup (I doubt it, at least in most cases).

It is about money, but I don't think the money concerns are as easily dismissable as you suggest they are:

- Players have multi-million dollar contracts that need to be insured. Should the players take our their own insurance to play? Should the owners (who make nothing from the tournament) have to pay? Should the Olympic Associations / IIHF (who do benefit from NHL participation) have to pay?

- Should the NHL & the NHLPA continue to shut down their league, and send their best players, when they can not use any footage from the games in advertising after the fact?

- Should the league continue to shut down, and ask its best players to play a couple of weeks worth of extra games every 4 years?

Those are the 3 big things for me. It's not that I think the NHL & the Owners are really hard done by here..... but I do think it's a lot to ask. The league is shut down, the best players risk injury playing for their Country mid-Season, the international body doesn't want to insure against the injuries, and the league gets zero benefit from it (unless someone believes that the Olympics help "grow the game", which was the original premise of going, but I've never believed is actually a thing).

I totally agree, that an international best-on-best is something that hockey fans want, and deserve, to see. I'm just not convinced that the Olympics is the way to do it. Is it because of the Gold / Silver / Bronze Medals ? Is it because they're part of a multi-sport event that many of us wouldn't otherwise be watching?

Does anyone thing that the 2010 Gold Medal game would have been less intense if it was a card-board cut out of Gary Betman on the line, instead of Gold Medal? Were the players playing for the medals, or for national pride? Do the Olympics do something to enhance national pride?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky94 View Post
    I doubt too many Europeans would want to attend games at midnight, just so we can see games in prime time. And I am certain the players are not going to want to play then. I know we have problems understanding it sometimes, but the entire world does not revolve around the EST zone.

This is VERY true. Because of the nature of the game, the NHL likely has to have the tournament in North America. You could do a pre-tourney qualifier in Europe somewhere... but the main tournament has to be here. More than one game per night would be fine, but the NHL will do everything with EST in mind (that just means you can't be playing in Europe).