Poll: Which Player is the Most Over-Rated by Modern NFL Fans?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Arrow Most Over-Rated Player in NFL History

Who do YOU think is the most over-rated player in NFL History amongst modern fans and why?

Here are the choices:

Tom Brady: Widely considered to be the GOAT despite winning only one and losing two SuperBowls during his prime years, while winning three rings when he was an inferior QB (compared to what he would become later) ... yet he's considered better than Montana, Manning, Graham?

Joe Namath: His RC is widely considered to be one of the two greatest and most valuable NFL sports cards ever made, along with the legendary Nagurski ... but ... check his career stats ... seriously.

Jerry Rice: The undisputed GOAT WR ... but does he get too much credit for having had all-time great QBs throwing to him, in Montana and Young? Would Randy Moss have put up even better stats with those types of QBs throwing to him? You saw what he did when he was past his prime with Tom Brady ...

Barry Sanders: Many fans, myself included, consider Barry to be the greatest pure runner to ever step on a football field ... but ... he only won one playoff game in his whole career, so am I wrong and Barry is actually over-rated?

Andrew Luck: Luck is a veritable turnover machine and has never won a ring or even played in a SuperBowl despite being drafted by a team just one year removed from the conference title game... but ... his cards are worth a great deal more than Russell Wilson who has a ring and Cam Newton who has an OPOY, MVP and a Conference Title ....

OBVIOUSLY this is meant to be a provocative thread and I want your decision to be a hard one ... Namath is the cop-out answer as his stats are just abysmal, so I will pick Brady to get this poll started as I do believe that while he's an all-time great and obviously has experienced more "team success" than any other QB not named Otto Graham, it irks me that people actually think he's "better" than various other QBs and also that people just forget about Otto Graham who makes Brady look like a "loser" with all the winning he did.

However, I do believe Namath will win (lose?) this poll and that Luck will come in 2nd ... after those two ... have no idea if Barry or Rice will get a single vote ... I know I sure don't consider either player over-rated.
    I collect true 1/1 autographed RCs of Jameis Winston with my son Hidden Content

We champions ... through everything that we went through, through all the haters ... we came out victorious. And God did this. I’m so blessed.
    – Jameis Winston, after winning BCS National Championship game

2. Check out the deal at Allgood Collectibles eBay Store
    I don't think Namath is the cop-out answer, It is the answer. In hist first 5 years, he well may have been the best QB in the league, but following the 1970 season injuries (and perhaps fame and fortune) took their toll.
    Granted the passing stats of the 60's and 70's don't compare to today's. His single season record of 4,007 yards stood for a dozen years, but has only been surpassed 100+ times since then.
    His career stats are similar to Steve Grogan but Namath actually has a winning % under 50%.
    Regardless of who wins/loses the poll, it will be interesting to see what every one else thinks!

Scott
    Hidden Content

Red Sox collector...current count 44,000+ different
    Hidden Content

I almost picked Brady, because its not his skill or talent that gets him, it's his dedication to work harder than everyone else, because he's pissed that he was passed over so many times to get drafted. But numbers don't lie, and frankly, him and Belicheck have some sort of pact with the debil to do as well as he does.

Rice is GOAT... mostly because at 39 and 40 years of age, he still put up 1100 and 1200 yard seasons respectively with a QB named Rich Gannon throwing the ball to him. I mean, surely Montana and Young made up the most of his stats, but his first two years in Oakland are heads and shoulders above his numbers of his last two years in SF.

Unlike everyone else on the list Barry retired in his Prime, and played for a horrible team. To call Barry overrated would be like calling Megatron overrated (who also got out in his prime)

Suck for Luck was the worst idea Indy ever had. But time will tell if he's overrated.

Instead I picked Joe Willy. His numbers were abysmal. Had it not been for the guarantee of Super Bowl III, I'm pretty sure he would have went down in history as a good player for a few years, then had the ego-slide and played well past his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by scottzoe View Post
    I don't think Namath is the cop-out answer, It is the answer. In hist first 5 years, he well may have been the best QB in the league, but following the 1970 season injuries (and perhaps fame and fortune) took their toll.
    Granted the passing stats of the 60's and 70's don't compare to today's. His single season record of 4,007 yards stood for a dozen years, but has only been surpassed 100+ times since then.
    His career stats are similar to Steve Grogan but Namath actually has a winning % under 50%.
    Regardless of who wins/loses the poll, it will be interesting to see what every one else thinks!

Scott
    I agree with everything you wrote above.

However, what I meant by "cop out answer" is that I knew when I put Broadway Joe's name on the list just about everyone would vote for him ... had I taken it off it would have been really interesting who people would have picked.

Had I left Joe off the list I think Luck would have received the most votes, followed by Tom Terrific.

We champions ... through everything that we went through, through all the haters ... we came out victorious. And God did this. I’m so blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldan View Post
    I almost picked Brady, because its not his skill or talent that gets him, it's his dedication to work harder than everyone else, because he's pissed that he was passed over so many times to get drafted. But numbers don't lie, and frankly, him and Belicheck have some sort of pact with the debil to do as well as he does.
    I agree with the above and don't view Brady as one of the most talented or skilled QBs in history ... but I do view him as one of the greatest and yet I also think he is over-rated by many. He's a far less athletic, modern Otto Graham with far less team success to show for it.

Rice is GOAT... mostly because at 39 and 40 years of age, he still put up 1100 and 1200 yard seasons respectively with a QB named Rich Gannon throwing the ball to him.
    Rich Gannon went to 4 straight Pro Bowls and won the NFL MVP at that time ... just saying. I wouldn't necessarily say Rice is the NFL GOAT but he's definitely "in the conversation". To me Otto Graham is head and shoulders ahead of everyone else but after him a case could be made for Jim Brown, Montana, Rice, Manning and Brady.

I mean, surely Montana and Young made up the most of his stats, but his first two years in Oakland are heads and shoulders above his numbers of his last two years in SF.

I hear ya, but again, Gannon was balling at that time; he wasn't a scrub.

Unlike everyone else on the list Barry retired in his Prime, and played for a horrible team. To call Barry overrated would be like calling Megatron overrated (who also got out in his prime)
    To me Barry is rated right by most. I honestly think most knowledgeable fans view Barry as the best pure runner the game has ever seen and a guy that could have AVERAGED 2,000+ rushing yards per season had he been running behind Emmitt Smith's Dallas line ... I just put him on the list for fun and to see if anyone on SCF really valued "team success" so much that they would denigrate the Lion King.

Suck for Luck was the worst idea Indy ever had. But time will tell if he's overrated.
    He's certainly over-rated in the hobby ... his card prices are ridiculous when measured against Newton and Wilson ... but yeah, I like Luck and think he's a very good QB and a future HOF'er ... personally I think he would have been better off having been drafted by a much worse but much younger team than the Colts ... he experienced team success early because that team was laden with veterans and just a year removed from an AFC title game appearance ... and now they are in shambles. Luck sort of took the opposite road to development than most #1 overall picks that go to horrible teams but teams with some solid young talent on the roster, ala Jameis and the Bucs.

Instead I picked Joe Willy. His numbers were abysmal. Had it not been for the guarantee of Super Bowl III, I'm pretty sure he would have went down in history as a good player for a few years, then had the ego-slide and played well past his prime.
    Yeah, he's Babe Ruth without the stats and NFL Royalty all because of that SB guarantee, but hey, you gotta give it to him, he had the guts to call it and then he got it done and that's all it took to become a legend ... props to Joe.

You missed Deion Sanders, he's the clear winner, followed by Ray Lewis. Of the group you listed, Andrew Luck gets the nod now. He's been incredibly overhyped and has such a poor team around him that he doesn't have a chance to improve greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by bfd13 View Post
    You missed Deion Sanders, he's the clear winner, followed by Ray Lewis. Of the group you listed, Andrew Luck gets the nod now. He's been incredibly overhyped and has such a poor team around him that he doesn't have a chance to improve greatly.
    Deion and Ray? Why?

I agree with you on Luck ... but Deion and Ray? Why?

Deion is widely considered a top 4 db of all-time with Lott, Woodson and Blount ... and I definitely think he belongs in that category.

Ray Lewis is widely considered to be perhaps the 2nd best MLB of all-time behind Butkus (who never won anything) and I'm okay with that assessment.

I'd love to hear why you think either player is "over-rated".

elway should be on this list because i hate the broncos

Quote Originally Posted by bobreaker50 View Post
    elway should be on this list because i hate the broncos
    If Michael Wilbon and his belief that Elway was the greatest QB to ever play was the opinion of the masses, he would have been on this list and leading the poll imo :-)

You hit the nail on the head here
    Quote Originally Posted by bfd13 View Post
    "Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here". Jack Nicholson
    The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity. ~André Gide
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast