Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Most Collectable Hockey Cards?

In your opinion what is the most collectable product? Set? Insert? Rookies?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

The Young Guns rookie are always a popular card. Have been for many, many years now. And since 05-06, The Cup RPA's are always the higher-end card to get when it comes to auto/memorabilia cards. Both these examples have been very consistent 'must haves' when hockey cards are concerned.
    Last edited by creasecollector; 11-15-2016 at 05:04 PM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

For the masses collecting currently, I would say Young Guns. They're a staple, iconic brand. If you have a favourite player that has debuted in the past twenty years, chances are you've got his YG in your collection.

For niche or player collectors, it can vary widely person to person and collection to collection. There's no "right" answer when it comes to following your interests.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah the Upper Deck Young Gun rookies are really hot and popular in hockey. Nothing that's not #D, game used, or autographed come close to them by a mile.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

I concur. Upper Deck's Flagship set with the Young Gun's is always on the radar. As with The Cup RPA's, and also SP Authentic Future Watch Autos.

I have noticed as well for inserts, and getting back to the main Upper Deck set that Canvas have been popular as well.
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

It depends if by 'most collectable' you mean most potential to hold or gain in value... or just what's popular to collect? If it's the former, I'd say vintage cards especially high grade... modern cards nearly always fetch their highest prices right around release date, and either settle somewhat lower or completely tank depending on how the player's career progresses.

If we're talking just what's popular... for Upper Deck at least there is...

OPC for the sheer nostalgia, nice big and affordable base set... Upper Deck Series 1/2 as the flagship set with the ever popular Young Guns rookies (and the Exclusive /100, and HG /10 parallels which are amongst the few parallels that are popular)... SP Authentic for a mid-high end product with the always desirable hard signed FWA rookie cards x/999 (also the FWA Patch x/100's are desirable)... and at the highest end the Cup ARP's x/99 for the handful of most-prized rookies.

Beyond that, other popular rookie material includes UD Ice Premier Rookie Patch Autos x/10 while not true RC's are highly sought after and the regular Ice RC's do well too... Premier Rookie Auto Patches... and SPGU more recently as they have limited the base set to serial numbered to the player's jersey number which can lead to really tough to find RC's for low numbered guys.

Some of the more notable inserts are from UD S1/2 Canvas as well as Clearcut Foundations... Premier Mega Patches... OPC Platinum for the sheer fun of putting together shiny rainbows... and limited print run stuff from McDonald's / Tim Hortons sets.

I'm sure if you ask 100 people you'll get 100 different lists, but I think that covers most of the stuff that has a pretty broad appeal.

ITG / Leaf puts out much more limited releases, the market is definitely more niche, but amongst collectors who like new cards with vintage memorabilia and don't mind the lack of an NHL license, they definitely have an audience (including me :)).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

Vintage, pre 75

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I would have to say vintage as well, for most collectible and retaining value.

Upper Deck Series 1/2, SP Authentic, The Cup are hugely popular. 3 levels of affordability but they have all the rookies you need. Some people have deep pockets and prefer The Cup or SP Authentic. UDS1, UDS2 is affordable to most. OPC has been around a long time and it is widely collected. The set is big and contains actual photography. If OPC Platinum continues on I would consider it a widely collected set as well.

People collect for different reasons. For me, I'm still a massive ITG fan. 02-03 ITG Parkhurst Retro, 04-05 ITG Franchise East/West definitely retain value. Both sets have a vintage feel to them, the print run is low and I feel a lot of people are attracted to that sort of style.

I must say I love a lot of the cards Leaf is putting out. Lot of old-time players I've added to my collection like Jack Adams. It's hard to say though if the market will become saturated with Maurice Richard, Tim Horton etc over time from these Leaf releases.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hmm. I ask the question because I am looking on what to zero in on for collecting purposes. I am tired of being all over the map. So far I think I am going to work on sets of Upper Deck Series 1/2, Young Guns Series 1/2 and I was going to go with Artificats for mems/set but I think I will switch it to SP Authentic based on what I am hearing here.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Basic is Upper Deck series 1/2
    Medium is SP Authentic
    High end is The Cup
    Collect what you like. Simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast