Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Custom Football Cards

My Custom Football Cards

So, over the last several months I have spent a lot of time learning to use Photoshop and have dove into the hobby of creating custom football cards. It started out simply as an exercise to learn how to use Photoshop and ended up being a full fledged hobby. Once I had them designed...I had to figure out how to create them and then some ended up being used for TTM autos. Long story short...it has become a hobby for me.

I don't know if anyone here is interested, but I thought if there was some interest I would share my creations in this thread.

I basically have 3 "projects" going on at the moment.

One is an Oregon Ducks set. I grew up in Eugene, I graduated from the University of Oregon and I am a Oregon season ticket holder. I thought such a set would be fun. The design is based on my favorite vintage football card set of all time...which is 1967 Topps. The front has a very close recreation of a real 1967 Topps card (including using real colors off actual cards) but on the back I took some artistic license. The players featured are all modern players that I have watched since I was a child. Basically, the set goes back to the 1989 season which is when Oregon's long bowl drought ended.

The next set is a 40,000 Yard Club set which honors all the QBs in NFL history to pass for 40,000 yards. The set is created in order starting with the first passer to pass that mark up until modern time (I haven't finished them all yet). The design is based on the 1989 Topps 1000 Yard Club design (a set that was very near and dear to my heart when I was a child).

The third project is a random set that is basically a random group of creations that I wanted to make for a variety of reasons. The first 4 cards in that set are of a distant relative of mine...former Bears TE Tim Wrightman. He never had a card in any Topps set so I thought it would be fun to create one for each of the 4 years he played pro football. The random set grew from there.

I'll share a couple cards from each group. If you guys would like me to, I will post more of my creations to this thread:

1967 Topps Oregon #1 Marcus Mariota - I took the photo used on this card.

1967 Topps Oregon #2 Kenny Wheaton

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #1 Johnny Unitas

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #2 Fran Tarkenton

Random #1: 1984 Topps USFL Tim Wrightman

Random #2: 1985 Topps USFL Tim Wrightman
    Last edited by CamaroDMD; 11-20-2016 at 11:18 PM.
    Tony Graziani Collection: 44/49, Autos: 11/13, GU: 2/2
    Have You Seen This Card: 1999 Upper Deck Encore F/X Gold #11 Tony Graziani 1/1
    1967 Topps FB Set: 132/132 - Complete
    1994 UD Collector's Choice Gold FB Set: 384/384 - Complete

2. Check out Steel City Collectibles Clearance Center
    I would like to see more, you bet! These are sweet!

I really like the Mariota, with your own photo.

And 89 Topps is the set, along with Pro Set that year, that really got me into this hobby. Very cool! One of the things I went to 7/11 searching for. Those look really nice!

Any luck getting some signed in the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by JWinn View Post
    I would like to see more, you bet! These are sweet!

I really like the Mariota, with your own photo.

And 89 Topps is the set, along with Pro Set that year, that really got me into this hobby. Very cool! One of the things I went to 7/11 searching for. Those look really nice!

Any luck getting some signed in the mail?
    I'm glad you like them. I feel the same way about the 89 Pro Set series as well. We had a family friend who owned a LCS about that time and went out of business. So, he probably gave me and my brother a case of 88, 89 Topps and 89 Pro Set. Tons of wonderful memories.

I will post up more over the next couple days. I should have time from work between patients. I think I have about 40 custom cards designed at this time and I'm slowly working on more.

I will also post the TTM successes when I post the card that is signed.

The Mariota came back signed on Friday. I have been told that he uses an autopen but to me this signature looks slightly different and there is some pressure changes. So...I'm not sure if it's real or not. Either way it's neat.

Last edited by CamaroDMD; 11-20-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Nice customs! I always like to see the customs that the talented members on here create. Thanks for showing
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

OK, here are a few more. I will continue to post them over the next several days as I find time.

I will start with a few more from the Oregon set. First, a little background of how this hobby came about for me. As a side hobby, I do photography...landscapes, city-scapes and this of that nature. I'm not a professional and I have never tried to do any kind of event...until my brother-in-law asked me to photograph their wedding. They had no money and seeing what I could do with a camera thought I'd be willing to do it for them. I said I would but made no promises to the quality. I decided that this was a good excuse to learn to use photoshop...so I started playing with the program.

I decided that creating a custom football card would be a fun project and a good way to learn photoshop...then I could use those new skills to edit the wedding photos. So, I decided I wanted to make a card of the Oregon QB that played when I was a kid...Danny O'Neil. He never played in the NFL and outside of a couple oversized Oregon Team issues never had a card. I decided to make it in the image of my favorite football card set...1967 Topps and just went for it. When it was done...I thought it looked great. So, because of the fun I had doing it and how pleased I was with the result...I started to do it more, and it has been fun. That original Danny O'Neil "prototype" card became the #3 card in the Oregon set...the only difference between it and the card in the set is the number on the back. The "prototype" was #16 because of his uniform number.

With help from others I met online who do this, I was able to come up with a good way to print the cards and have been using some for TTM autos. It's been a lot of fun.

Oh, and in case you were wondering...the wedding photos came out great too.

Anyway, now for some cards. Here are a few more Oregon cards:

1967 Topps Oregon #3 Danny O'Neil

1967 Topps Oregon #4 LaMichael James

1967 Topps Oregon #5 Tony Graziani - my favorite Duck

1967 Topps Oregon #6 Haloti Ngata

Here are a few more of the 40,000 Yard Club cards based on the 1989 Topps 1000 Yard Club Inserts.

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #3 Dan Fouts

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #4 Dan Marino

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #5 Joe Montana

Next up are some of the random cards...which frankly are a little more fun as many of them have unique designs. The next two I'm gonna share are the final pair of Tim Wrightman cards. These two represent his two years in the NFL

Random #3: 1986 Topps Tim Wrightman

Random #4: 1987 Topps Tim Wrightman

Up next is a card for a player that I really liked as a kid. I have always enjoyed Notre Dame football and when I was a kid high school legend Ron Powlus was their QB. Although he never was able to live up to the unrealistic expectations he had thrust upon him, I still really liked him. So, I created a card for him. I did this one in the image of 1967 Topps as I wanted to see how easy it would be to adapt my Oregon 1967 Topps design to other teams. This was just part of the photoshop learning process for me.

Random #5: 1967 Topps Ron Powlus

One more for now...then I will give you guys a break. This next card was the first I did to "fix" a pet peeve that I have with vintage Topps. Frequently, if a player retired, Topps never made a final card for that player. I would have liked to see a card issued in the next year's set that illustrated the players entire career on the back. The first player I wanted to "fix" this for was Joe Namath. Namath played through 1977 but his last Topps card was issued in 1973. So, on cardboard his career is only represented from 1965-1972 (since 1973 cards illustrated the 1972 season). I wanted to create a "final" Namath card to show his whole career...so I created a 1978 Topps issue. Here it is:

Random #6 1978 Topps Joe Namath

I also promised to share any TTM successes I have had as I share the cards. Out of this group, I have a couple. Danny O'Neil signed his card for me and Tim Wrightman signed a set of his for me.

I hope you enjoyed these. I will post more in the coming days.

I think its really neat.. I tried to make my own but I am nowhere near creative enough and it did not come out so well haha.. I had an old giants jersey from when I was a kid so I cut it up and tried to make relic cards.. what did you print them on??
    New York Giants Super Collector!!

Hidden Content for inserts and Hidden Content for GUs/Autos

The Wrightman's are outstanding! A true one of a kind collectible that your family can keep forever.

I wonder what they will say about it on the Antiques Roadshow in 30 years…..

A whole book of those Ducks cards will look really sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by bcool022 View Post
    I think its really neat.. I tried to make my own but I am nowhere near creative enough and it did not come out so well haha.. I had an old giants jersey from when I was a kid so I cut it up and tried to make relic cards.. what did you print them on??
    I will admit that I have not yet attempted to make my own design from scratch. I really like vintage football cards and have had a lot of fun re-creating the designs and then adapting them to my needs. Maybe one day I will try a totally from scratch design...but I feel that my creativity is lacking as well.

As far as actually designing the cards...I found a really good You Tube video and I started using these basic techniques and grew from there. Here is the video, it really got me started:

The printing process is a little complicated. I have a Canon PIXMA MX922 printer which is what I use. It prints a nice enough image and it works well. For the front of the cards, I use HP Everyday Glossy Photo Paper and for the backs I use Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte Paper. In the middle, I use a 110pt white card stock. I print out the fronts and backs, and very carefully line them up on the card stock and glue it all together with 3M Spray Adhesive. It's a little bit of a process and if you mess up the alignment during gluing it's ruined. With a little practice, it's not too bad though. Once it's all dry I cut them using a heavy duty paper cutter.

I find that the 110pt card stock gives the cards a slightly thick feel. Definitely a thinker stock than classic Topps...but it also makes them a little more hardy. I might try a thinner stock in the future if I want a truly authentic feel, but a little thicker isn't bad for TTM.

I have included links to all the papers and the glue I use in creating the cards below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by JWinn View Post
    The Wrightman's are outstanding! A true one of a kind collectible that your family can keep forever.

I wonder what they will say about it on the Antiques Roadshow in 30 years…..

A whole book of those Ducks cards will look really sharp.
    Thanks. The Wrightman cards turned out really well, I really like the 1987. I sent him a couple sets and he seemed to enjoy them. The biggest challenge for those was finding good photos...especially for the USFL years.

I'm actually working on a book of the Ducks cards. I have 24 currently printed out and in a binder (I print them in 8 card sheets...so 3 sheets worth) and I'm working on my next sheet. My dream would be to have a set of them signed.
    Last edited by CamaroDMD; 11-22-2016 at 11:27 AM.

So, I really wanted to get the 40,000 Yard Club set done...so I spent some time today and ground it out. I will update the stats of all the active players on the back once they retire and since the set has been done in order of joining the club...any new members can be easily added down the road.

So, I'm going to post the rest of that set in this thread. You may notice the dates on card #6 and 7 are the same. This is correct as both players passed the milestone on the same day. Moon passed it earlier in the day and Elway later.

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #6 Warren Moon

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #7 John Elway

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #8 Brett Favre

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #9 Vinny Testaverde

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #10 Drew Bledsoe

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #11 Peyton Manning

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #12 Kerry Collins

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #13 Drew Brees

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #14 Tom Brady

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #15 Eli Manning

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #16 Ben Roethlisberger

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #17 Philip Rivers

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #18 Carson Palmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast