Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Never, ever buy from them. Customer Service NIGHTMARE.

Hey all,

My family and I buy boxes for each other every Christmas. In addition, I get together with friends and open boxes during Monday night football once per month and have been collecting for 20+ years. This year, I purchased a Topps 60th anniversary football pack and another cheap box for my Dad for Christmas. The pack arrived in a separate bubble mailer from the box and was not rigid on one side of the pack and was never factory sealed properly. It was not tampered with, but the card slid out as I removed it from the mailer. I sent the following e-mail to their customer service:

"Hi,

I recently purchased some cards from you Invoice # x. These were a gift for Christmas for my dad. I usually buy around this time of year specifically for that purpose. Unfortunately the Topps 60th anniversary pack was unsealed and the card was floating around the the package. The way it was unsealed would be impossible to open that way and I have added pictures. This was for a gift and I'm not really sure what to do now. I added pictures to show that the pack was not cut or opened by me. Please let me know what can be done as this was not purchased for myself and it was not as advertised as sealed. Thank you.

"
    I also attached photos of the sealed edge and the edge that could not have ever been sealed.

They sent his pathetic e-mail as a reply:

"I apologize but the 2015 Topps Football 60th Anniversary Retired Autograph Rookie Card Pack that you received was not factory sealed?"

I figured they may not read e-mails properly, so I called before they closed on that business day. This was the result:

The customer service call I made this afternoon was one of the worst experiences I have ever had calling ANY company. After I politely explained what happened the unprofessional person on the other line just responded, "okay?". Then there was silent for 10 seconds and I re-explained and he just replies "hold on for a second". I was put on hold for 2-3 minutes and he responds that you need to review video. If you do not send your employees to any professional training or development, I would highly recommend it as this person was unprofessional and rude.

The pack is not sealed as pictured AGAIN. The top is not sealed like most packs are and just folds open. I really don't know what else to say other than I don't appreciate how I was treated on the phone, nor does the response even make sense to my initial e-mail which clearly states and provides pictures of an UNSEALED pack which is NOT what is advertised.

Their response to this is as follows:

"We had the warehouse verify on camera and the pack was pristine and factory sealed when it left here. If it arrived opened the only option would be to file an investigation with UPS."

After this, there is nothing I can do but ASSURE that they are lying.

PLEASE reconsider if you are buying from this company.

Thank you

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

EDIT:

Brian from Marketing contacted me and sent an apology with some comp packs. Never, throughout the entire process, did I ask for anything. If I was ever asked, I would have wanted a $20 store credit which was about 40% of my purchase. He made up for the mistake, but I would still be very wary of their customer service overall.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So they acknowledged they were in the wrong and tried to make restitution and you still would be "very wary"? I've also ordered from them with no issues at all, but as a business owner I don't understand why you wouldn't thank them and change your review...but that's just my opinion

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

So they acknowledged they were in the wrong and tried to make restitution and you still would be "very wary"? I've also ordered from them with no issues at all, but as a business owner I don't understand why you wouldn't thank them and change your review...but that's just my opinion

That's the point. wary of the customer service IF you have an issue with any shipped product. He acknowledged that they had two employees lying to customers. That is extremely shady and unacceptable practice. They also only made it "right" after days of dealing with customer service "losing signals" and hanging up. Not a business I would ever trust again.
    Last edited by xposipx; 12-04-2016 at 01:09 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I know that's your opinion, but I still don't agree with it. The bottom line is you can't control employees every action. They are responsible as a business owner to take care of the issues that arise, Which they apparently have done

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That's fine, but I think it's fair to keep the facts out there. Some would be comfortable with the ordeal, but I'm not. I had to cause a rift for it to be made right. I'm generally not comfortable having to do that, but felt it was necessary since it was so egregious. I really do not buy cards anymore except for yearly gifts. So, they won't be missing a lot of business from me, but I just don't trust they would make it right again without having to take it to the director of marketing and skipping their customer service team all together. Their system is just broken - but I assume 98% of the products have no issues and are processed efficiently so they wouldn't have to deal with this often.

I applaud their management, but would avoid just because I would avoid any company that has employees knowingly lying to customers.
    Last edited by xposipx; 12-04-2016 at 10:35 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I used to buy from them when they had a 1 room shop on Elmwood Ave here in Buffalo, when I was working I would spend $10-20 or more daily and they said they needed more customers like me.
    One day I needed some $$ and they have an ad in Beckett saying they are buying Emmitt cards that were $200 & up, I took 1 in and they didn't even look at it.
    So I haven't been back since and don't expect to do any biz with them again.
    They did have younger people (under 18) working at the store on Sheridan Dr. last time I was in there years ago.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joebobjingo's Items on eBay

I have had nothing but pleasant experiences dealing with them over the years. However, the one time recently I had to actually call in and talk to someone it was anything but pleasant. I was calling about some promo code that wasn't credited on my invoice. It was a nominal amount and not a huge deal to me, but was just curious for the most as to why it wasn't honored. I talked to some schlub who was about as rude and unprofessional as one could be, as if they were making a serious effort to be so. I was cool and calm, as like I said, this wasn't a huge deal to me. He was very agitated and impatient, and gets all defensive and puts put me on hold without even saying he's going to do so. Less than minute later he returns and says that the person I need to talk to has left for the day, and pretty much just hangs up on me.

I was stunned. Not because I was mad or disgruntled, but at the fact that this company that I seemingly had a great relationship with would actually let this schmuck be the face/voice of their business! He was so rude it was almost comical; couldn't believe it. I never did follow up with my invoice concern because I didn't want to have to deal with these goofballs again. It just wasn't worth it to me over a few bucks. In short, this brief experience cost them roughly 3 grand over the course of a calendar year. I don't buy from them anymore, unless the item that I want is markedly less than their competitors, which doesn't happen anyway.

More businesses really need to understand how important customer service is to their livelihood. You never know who is calling and how lasting an impression you can leave on your customers just on something as simple as attitude/effort. It doesn't even matter so much if you're new to your job, or not so good at customer resolution, as long as you make the effort to act like you care. I have had plenty of subpar customer service experiences in the past, but the one saving grace if anything is always the empathy of customer service. Dave & Adam's needs to realize this and not let some bum standing on the corner answer their phones. Give the impression to your customers that they matter and you will retain them.