Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Mattman1203's Items on eBay

Help identifying autographs

Hi all,

Last June my grandfather passed away. Shortly afterwards my grandmother gave me a couple of his baseballs. One was a Feller ball (which is very cool because it was personalized to my grandpa) and the other appears to be a team ball. I've only been able to identify three of the autographs: Dick Schofield, Pete Ward and Smokey Burgess. After a bit of googling I figured out they never all played on the same team, so I am a bit stumped. Here are some photos of the ball. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ok after spending some time looking I am confident enough to say the one below Pete Ward is Johnny Logan.

Here is a sample of his autograph: http://www.sportscollectibles.com/jo...tKsaAmXO8P8HAQ

I am going to say this is probably a Pittsburgh Pirate ball between the years 1961-1963. I was looking at Johnny's stats and he played in Pittsburgh during those years with Smokey Burgess and Dick Schofield.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you, PackerBum. I think you're right.

Pete Ward still doesn't fit in. But, my bet is this was a ball acquired at a Spring Training game. Ward was in the Orioles farm system at the time, so he or my mom/uncles might have had whoever was at the game. It might explain why the "biggies" of Clemente, Mazeroski, Stargell, and Brooks Robinson aren't clear on the ball too.

I'll cross check the Pirate and Oriole team rosters from 61-63 to see if I can identify more names. Thank you again!

***UPDATE***
    I can't believe I missed this, but the 61-63 Pirates was the clue.

That bottom sig on the sweet spot is ROBERTO CLEMENTE!
    WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Matthewbritton07; 12-01-2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Update

SCF Rewards
    Country

I believe I see former ROY Bill Virdon on the second to last picture.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I believe I see former ROY Bill Virdon on the second to last picture.

Thanks Rolltide. Looks right to me.

Here's who I can identify now:
    Roberto Clemente
    Pete Ward
    Dick Schofield
    Smoky Burgess
    Johnny Logan
    Bill Virdon
    Tom Sturdivant
    Bob Skinner

All of these (except Ward) played for the Pirates 61-63. I'll keep trying to track more names down.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you, PackerBum. I think you're right.

Pete Ward still doesn't fit in. But, my bet is this was a ball acquired at a Spring Training game. Ward was in the Orioles farm system at the time, so he or my mom/uncles might have had whoever was at the game. It might explain why the "biggies" of Clemente, Mazeroski, Stargell, and Brooks Robinson aren't clear on the ball too.

I'll cross check the Pirate and Oriole team rosters from 61-63 to see if I can identify more names. Thank you again!

***UPDATE***
    I can't believe I missed this, but the 61-63 Pirates was the clue.

That bottom sig on the sweet spot is ROBERTO CLEMENTE!
    WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome man! glad I could help you figure them out.