Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Custom cards: Fronts only, or backs also???

Hi all,

I have a question of preference for anyone who collects custom cards:

Is only the front of the card important, or would you prefer it have a back "image" also?

The reason I am asking is that I sell the customs on eBay, and do not know if it is worth the time and (usually considerable) effort it takes to create the back.

I have sold some cards as "FRONT" only, and they seem just as desirable to collectors as those with backs, depending upon the player featured.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

BTW, I know that customs are not everyone's "cup of tea," so please don't offer opinions saying "I wouldn't buy a custom," etc. This question is mainly to persons who do collect customs. Thanks!

(You can see recent card at http://www.ebay.com/sch/vintagebaseballcardscf/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&LH_S old=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Kronozio
    Yeah backs are a must in my opinion
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I have some with and some without backs and to me it doesn't matter. There's a market for blank backed non-custom cards so customs shouldn't be any different.
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Carl: 654/3897 not including 1/1's (16.8%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 30/88 (34.1%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Thanks for the responses thus far . . .

On a personal level, I like cards with backs . . . but I have noticed that Topps sells some cards online that have blank backs, and as yazfan71 said, there is now a market for blank-backed non-customs . . .

The major reason I asked was the waste involved . . . to get the cards at the proper thickness, I print the front and back separately, and then adhere them with a cardboard sheet in between . . .

If they don't align perfectly, it is very easy to waste the prints, since they become useless . . . I am also a bit of a "perfectionist," and if the cards don't look perfect, I will not use them to sell . . . (I have drawers full of bad prints that weren't sellable . . .for some reason, I keep them, although I really do not know why . . . LOL)

Thanks for the opinions offered thus far . . . please do not hesitate to let me know how you feel if you have "something" to offer . . . thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by georgecf View Post
    Thanks for the responses thus far . . .

On a personal level, I like cards with backs . . . but I have noticed that Topps sells some cards online that have blank backs, and as yazfan71 said, there is now a market for blank-backed non-customs . . .

The major reason I asked was the waste involved . . . to get the cards at the proper thickness, I print the front and back separately, and then adhere them with a cardboard sheet in between . . .

If they don't align perfectly, it is very easy to waste the prints, since they become useless . . . I am also a bit of a "perfectionist," and if the cards don't look perfect, I will not use them to sell . . . (I have drawers full of bad prints that weren't sellable . . .for some reason, I keep them, although I really do not know why . . . LOL)

Thanks for the opinions offered thus far . . . please do not hesitate to let me know how you feel if you have "something" to offer . . . thanks!!!
    If you've got any Yastrzemski customs lying in that drawer of non perfect examples, I'd gladly pay for shipping to take them off your hands! LOL
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Carl: 654/3897 not including 1/1's (16.8%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 30/88 (34.1%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Thanks, yazfan71 . . . I just sent you a PM . . .

Ok so I never knew there was a market for customs? How are sales? Do u design them urself? What media do u print them on and what class printer would u use? The reason I ask is because I am a freelance graphic designer and I've created cards of my sons playing football, baseball, etc but it never dawned on me to create pro players and try selling them lol...this girl is intrigued hehe

I hate to be the stick in the mud, but if you're using players and team names without licensing agreements, this is the same thing as printing up batches of the latest CDs or software and selling it. It's counterfeiting. If you get nabbed, expect to fork out a couple grand in fines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast