Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Place to Buy a Case of Hocky Cards?

Hello,

Hockey, Hockey, Hockey. Not sure where I came up with hocky. ;-)

I'm a bit of a n00b to collecting. Actually, I'm picking the hobby back up after collecting as a child. My collection is primarily bubble gum stained hockey cards from the early 80s and a handful of nicely graded recent rookie Young Guns.

So, as for my question, where IS the best place to buy a case of cards? Directly from Upper Deck? On Ebay? I live in a small town and don't have access to a local hobby shop.

Also, are there perils in buying a case? Do the big time guys have a way of selecting out the best cases and selling off the rest? I assume that you run that risk when buying individual boxes right? Someone will crack a case, get the McDavid YG 201, and then sell off the other boxes?

Thank you and I appreciate all responses.

--Mario66

2. Find Hockey Cards on Kronozio!!
    I like case breaks like top notch breaks, out of the box, hobby box 604, etc. You either pick your team or get random team then get all the hits mailed to you.

A case of cards I would absolutely buy from either DACARDWORLD or SteelCitysportscards. They seem to have the best prices and most stock of products of all sports. I would watch out buying boxes/cases from ebay unless the seller is reputable.

Personally I used to buy boxes but I stopped cause I would usually get crushed on them. I usually save up and get a case instead. Usually its SPA every year as its my favorite product. You have a better chance at getting a good return since you're guaranteed certain hits with a case. Not everyone can save up for a case though but if you can I recommend doing that. My returns have been much better than single boxes.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Daniel Sprong, Top Player Autos and Rookies

Quote Originally Posted by theboxbreaker96 View Post
    A case of cards I would absolutely buy from either DACARDWORLD or SteelCitysportscards. They seem to have the best prices and most stock of products of all sports. I would watch out buying boxes/cases from ebay unless the seller is reputable.

Personally I used to buy boxes but I stopped cause I would usually get crushed on them. I usually save up and get a case instead. Usually its SPA every year as its my favorite product. You have a better chance at getting a good return since you're guaranteed certain hits with a case. Not everyone can save up for a case though but if you can I recommend doing that. My returns have been much better than single boxes.
    Always great to hear from another Pens fan. Could you enlighten me as to what SPA is? edit: SP Authentic. Got it!
    Last edited by mario66; 12-17-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mario66 View Post
    Always great to hear from another Pens fan. Could you enlighten me as to what SPA is? edit: SP Authentic. Got it!
    Yes Are you from the Pittsburgh area? If you live in PA steelcity probably isn't the best option because of the PA sales tax. I use DACARDWORLD. I've never had any problems
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Daniel Sprong, Top Player Autos and Rookies

State College area, actually. But I grew up in Pittsburgh and lived there all through the 70s and 80s. My first Pens game was the game where they crossed over to Black and Gold--although I watched them in blue and white on the television prior to the switch.

I've been doing research on this board and it seems as if a lot of people are disenchanted with Upper Deck's 2015/16 options. Is this year any better or was 2014/15 a good year? Just trying to decide upon my case. From recent years, which would you choose and why?
    Thanks for your input!

So I bought a box of 16-17 UD Series 1 that a comic shop in a nearby town has in inventory (the ONLY thing in hockey inventory). The results were pretty bland. I'd say I got back book value overall. The top cards were a Tkachuk YG and a couple of goaltender shining stars--Jones and Bishop. I wasn't sure why they held some value, but then it appears as if the goaltender shining stars are a little more rare than the wings and centers. My jersey card was Petr Mrazek. Tough to get overly excited about that.

For me personally, I was happy to score a Sid base and a Sid shining star, a McDavid base, and a couple of other Pens base cards. I guess one can't complain when they "make" their money back and score a couple of cards they like to boot!

Best,
    mario

Quote Originally Posted by mario66 View Post
    So I bought a box of 16-17 UD Series 1 that a comic shop in a nearby town has in inventory (the ONLY thing in hockey inventory). The results were pretty bland. I'd say I got back book value overall. The top cards were a Tkachuk YG and a couple of goaltender shining stars--Jones and Bishop. I wasn't sure why they held some value, but then it appears as if the goaltender shining stars are a little more rare than the wings and centers. My jersey card was Petr Mrazek. Tough to get overly excited about that.

For me personally, I was happy to score a Sid base and a Sid shining star, a McDavid base, and a couple of other Pens base cards. I guess one can't complain when they "make" their money back and score a couple of cards they like to boot!

Best,
    mario
    Something you will learn very quickly... book values and sell values are VERY differently things. Don't sell things based on BV, go check out eBay completed sales to see what your cards are actually worth. :)

Quote Originally Posted by kylemclaren7 View Post
    Something you will learn very quickly... book values and sell values are VERY differently things. Don't sell things based on BV, go check out eBay completed sales to see what your cards are actually worth. :)
    Oh, I'm aware I'd be in for some disappointment if I actually thought I'd get book on most cards. Just using those numbers because they are readily available...and I wanted to make myself feel better. ;-)

If you are in the State College area you will want to hit up Juniata cards just outside Altoona. Steve the owner is one of the best and price wise can't be beat. I have bought tons there and always walk away happy. There is a card shop in SC as well just not sure exactly where.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast