Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Sucks sorry to hear that. I have heard that about Blowout from several people actually. I like Blowout but try to avoid any kind of arguments since I know they are quick to pull the trigger on someone.

You are wise to be careful ... and make sure not to upset any of the guys connected to the mods as it can go from good to bad pretty quick ... and there seem to be some "untouchables" on there who can curse and insult people with no repercussions but the second someone offends them, that person gets banned. It's really quite sad as the site wants to be "the site" for all the big-time collectors but when people like Wes Love and myself and other super hi-end collectors can't find a home there, there is a problem with the site, not with all the super hi-end collectors, though yes, I know some can also be jerks ...

I follow the Bucs thread on there and RogerGodahell and majestik still post on there all the time.

I never considered anyone on there to be enemies of mine, not even the one dealer who tried to scam me and even he and I worked things out and are now on a friendly basis ... I also enjoyed some of RogerGodahell's and Majestic's posts but both of those guys did seem to have issues with me. With hindsight being 20/20 I would have done things a bit differently but I was new to the site and trying to corner the market on hi-end Jameis 1/1s ... I think my very first post on there said I wanted to be "the Jameis Winston supercollector" and that I'd appreciate it if everyone on there could give me a chance to buy their hi-end Jameis 1/1s before listing them on eBay. Some liked that and made quick deals with me for some great cards, but some took offense to that for some reason.

Then, after a few months, my collection was pretty big, around 70 different true 1/1 Jameis RC's and I would make an update noting the number I had and that I was still buying. Many B.O. members, including Roger I believe and definitely Majestic demanded to see all my 1/1s ... I told everyone that I was an OCD perfectionist and did not want to "display" my collection until I had it just right as I was in the process of trading all of my lower-end 1/1s for higher end 1/1s and trading my non auto's (e.g. Exquisite 1/1, Topps Chrome non-auto'd superfractor, etc) for autod 1/1s ... and then people started flipping out and saying I was lying about my cards, didn't have more than a few 1/1s, etc ... it was very strange. Now of course, everyone knows I have the best Jameis collection on earth and when I finally displayed my "Lucky 13" collection in the $100k eBay display (I have no intention of actually selling and definitely not for a mere $100k) ad I received a ton of messages and people saying, "holy cow, you really did have all those cards", etc., and lots of people that used to seemingly not like me have reached out to me and we have at least cordial relationships, but it was a strange few months on B.O. indeed.

When I look back I really think all the issues just boil down to good ole fashion jealousy and envy. There are some very heavy-hitters on B.O. and guys with collections that will blow your mind, and I was brand new to the site and within a few short months had amassed the most impressive collection of the hottest young QB around, yet was refusing to show my collection until it was "just right" in my mind, and I think that ticked a lot of the old-guard off. I also know full well that I can come off as a "know it all" as I'm one of those high-IQ, low-EQ people that may even be borderline-Asperger and I've always been a loner and an extreme introvert. And, when I debate sports, I tend to use an avalanche of statistics, data, history and the like and many people can't handle and they quickly get offended.

During one B.O. all-time NBA draft I drafted Arvydas Sabonis and when I did so I made a 2-3 page post explaining why I drafted him complete with links to articles from Russian newspapers and various other international sources, etc. Some of the long-time members who always took part in those drafts just flipped out and started cursing at me and saying I was an arrogant idiot and how dare I attempt to educate them ... it was crazy. Of course, I sort of enjoy the back and forth and I don't back down from anyone or anything so I just replied with even more stats, facts, history and proof and they probably felt I was acting in an extremely condescending manner, which I undoubtedly was and do often ... it's one part of my personality that could use some work :-)

Anyways, there are lots of good and bad apples everywhere, in every business and on every website, so I wish nothing but the best for the B.O. website and on every member there!

Regardless, and all of the above said, B.O. has a lot of very active members and it can be a fun site, so I certainly hope you can have a lot of fun on the site with non of the negative drama I experienced :-)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Jets
    My traders on Flickr

Holly would you ever consider gathering the holy trinity on another player? Or picking up the card you need from black rose?
    Check out my Collection!
    Hidden Content
    if the offer is right I will deal anything
    I am a collector of the New York JetsHidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Holly would you ever consider gathering the holy trinity on another player? Or picking up the card you need from black rose?

Great Questions:

Firstly, NO, I would NEVER pick up the card I'd like to get from BlackRose ... not unless he drastically reduced his price or agreed to a fair trade. I don't believe I ever over-paid for a single one of my Jameis 1/1s and I don't want to start now. I do love Jameis and am a huge fan, but that's moreso because the research I did led me to invest in him and the more and more research I did, I just genuinely loved the kid ... I watch all of his press conferences and the like and could probably write a book on him, hahaha ... but I am an investor before I am a collector, so I try to remain principled in how much I spend.

Secondly, YES, if it were possible to snap up the "Holy Trinity" of other players all in one shot I'd be thrilled to do so. However, I honestly don't know any collector or even dealer that has the Topps Chrome auto'd Superfractor base RC, NT Shield auto'd base RC and Contenders SuperBowl Ticket auto'd base RC of one individual player, and definitely not of a player I would want to invest in that I also believe would be a great investment.

However, yes, there are players I would have snapped up a "Holy Trinity" of ... I would definitely have snapped up Wentz (as I believed in him the first time I watched him play), Goff (simply because it would have been cheap enough after his disastrous rookie season) and Brissett (as it would have been super cheap with a huge upside) ... and I would have sold them all this year and made a killing :-)

There are other guys I would have liked to have bought, but wouldn't have done it when the cards came out as they were already so high-priced and in my mind "over-valued" ... Dak is a perfect example.

I wouldn't mind buying the "Holy Trinity" of Derek Carr *IF* Jon Gruden takes the Raiders job, but of course, as Vegas Dave's Carr purchases have made it next to impossible to buy one of the best Carr cards unless you're willing to pay through the nose, I think I missed the boat on Carr.

As for NOW ... Topps Chrome doesn't exist anymore, so there isn't a "Holy Trinity" anymore which makes me sad. However, I think the undisputed "holy grail" for every rookie now is the NT Shield auto'd 1/1 RC, so I would definitely be willing to snap up some of those cards!

I'm not planning on making a play on any of the 2017 rookie QBs ... I like Deshaun Watson and all but his NT Shield will be "over-valued" I think and I worry about his slight frame and him being another RJIII ... I also think Patrick Mahomes is in a great situation and I actually might bid on that NT Shield if it hits eBay ... but it would have to be very reasonably priced as I'd be taking a complete flier on that kid as I haven't seen much tape on him and don't know much about him other than he has elite arm talent ...

As for next year's rookie QBs ... I LOVE SAM DARNOLD'S GAME, JUST LOVE IT (elite arm talent with high-end athleticism and a gun-slinger mentality) and call him WHITE JAMEIS ... the problem is that I think when his NT Shield 1/1 hits eBay it will bring crazy money, so if I'm going to bid, I'm going to need to sincerely believe in his future, and how his rookie season unfolds will have a lot to do with that. At the moment, I'd like to see he and Saquon Barkley both go to the Browns, but I don't think it's going to happen ... I actually think the Browns will take Saquon #1 and that either the Giants or Jets will draft Darnold ... and New York is the biggest market, so I think his cards could be extremely over-valued ... I do love that kid's game though!

So, long story short ... YES, I would be happy to buy other player's "Holy Trinity" or even just their "Holy Grail", but the price would have to be right and I'd have to really believe in the respective player's future ... so, for now, I'm just content and thrilled I was able to get the Jameis cards I have as I both believe he was a magnificent investment AND I genuinely love the kid and am a "fan", which makes it even more fun!
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 01-04-2018 at 01:01 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Such an incredible collection and of a great player to boot. Hope to someday have a collection large enough to join you guys, even if he's not in the league anymore haha. Again beautiful cards, and thanks for sharing.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Such an incredible collection and of a great player to boot. Hope to someday have a collection large enough to join you guys, even if he's not in the league anymore haha. Again beautiful cards, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words; I wish you all the best on your collection too!

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

The Panini Black Gold auto/shield is awesome! Of course so is the rest of the collection :). For all the NFL Shields you have of Winston, have you noticed whether the shields are all the same size, or at least the visible pieces you can see, are they all scaled the same?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The Panini Black Gold auto/shield is awesome! Of course so is the rest of the collection :). For all the NFL Shields you have of Winston, have you noticed whether the shields are all the same size, or at least the visible pieces you can see, are they all scaled the same?

Thanks for the kind words. As for your question, that's the first time I've ever been asked that ... they appear to all be the same size. Some of the card windows are smaller than others of course but the actual shields themselves do all seem to be the same size.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I've been searching for this card for 3 years ... I'll pay a nice bounty to anyone that finds it for me! It may still be in an unopened pack somwehere though :-(

Jameis Platinum Shield.jpg

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Wrong thread ...
    Last edited by Jameis1of1; 10-14-2018 at 05:45 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Army
    New England Patriots

Very nice collection you have, this is the first time I've browsed through it! Super difficult to collect 1 of 1's, especially of a #1 overall picked QB.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast