Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

01-Apr-2017 (Phoenix, AZ)

Just got back from vacation, and while I was visiting my in-laws in Arizona, I went to the Final Four Fan Fest in Phoenix. This is the first time ever that the Final Four was in Phoenix, and the Fan Fest was at the Convention Center from Friday through Monday. Before I left, there were only a handful of names for autograph signers, and I grabbed what I could from home, and decided to go Saturday. I was able to get an autograph on a promo 8x10's of Creighton head basketball coach Greg McDermott and Xavier head basketball coach Chris Mack, as well as Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians on a promo card. Then, I got former Phoenix Suns player Cedric Ceballos on two cards, 1 autograph of former Gonzaga star and 10-NBA season player Ronny Turiaf (was not announced in advance, so I didn't have anything for him, but got him to inscribe 2012 NBA Champ), 3 autographs of former University of Arizona guard Miles Simon on cards, and 4 autographs on cards of Arizona Diamondbacks 3rd baseman Jake Lamb. Christian Laettner did an appearance, where you could get a photo, but no autographs, and throughout the weekend, other players were also making appearances, such as David Robinson, which would have frustrated me as I would want an auto. Anyway, for a $10 admission, it was a cool event.

Photo of the coaches autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b3znznf.jpg

Photo of the players autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psni9mrcgg.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 167
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

28-Mar-2017: Spring Training in AZ

While on vacation in Arizona, I decided to grab a Spring Training game. Usually, my kids Spring Break is after Spring Training ends, so I have not gotten to a game, but this year, I was lucky. My in-laws are 5 minutes from Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, which is where both the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Colorado Rockies have Spring Training. I decided to go to the Rockies versus Texas Rangers game on 28-Mar-2017, and I decided to get a ticket near the Rangers side, thinking that it would be easier to get autographs from the visitors (plus, that's what the internet said). So, I planned, and I got 2 cards of every player on the Rangers 40-man roster, plus all the Spring Training non-roster invitees. I prepped all the cards, and organized, and got super excited, dreaming of the volume of autographs I would get. As a lifelong Phillies fan, I was hoping to get Cole Hamels on his Phillies World Series Champions cards. So, I got to the game prior to the gates opening, and in the batting cages were the Arizona Diamondbacks. Apparently, when the teams have games, they warm up at their home spring training site, and then bus to the game. So, the Rangers weren't there yet. I staked out a good spot next to the dugout, and planned to get players coming out of the dugout like a normal game. However, the bus that dropped the team off is behind center field, so the players came from center field and walked to the dugout, and the Texas Rangers road spring training uniforms do not have numbers on the front! So, it was difficult to figure out who was coming. Then, I finally saw a player turn around, and his jersey number was 88. However, in all of my roster research, no player had a higher jersey number than 79! It turned out, most of the players that came to this game, on the last week of spring training, were minor league guys. The only presumed starters that were even present at the field were Delino DeShields, Jurickson Profar, and Nomar Mazara. I was able to get some autos, however. I got two autographs on cards from infield prospect Drew Robinson, and 1 autograph on a card from Joey Gallo. Then, I got a few autos on Texas Rangers blank cards, but I cannot figure out who some of them are. In the photo, the third column top card is outfield prospect Royce Bolinger, and the third column bottom cards is catching prospect Jose Trevino. But, the three cards on the right column, I cannot decipher, and even one that I saw his number, #88, I cannot figure out who he is since he isn't on any roster! Very frustrating experience, but at least I got a few cards signed. Now I will continue my quest to figure out who the other three cards are signed by.

Photo of the Texas Rangers Spring Training autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psdmiv8uir.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 175

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

12-Apr-2017

Last night, I went to a book signing for former Chicago Bulls guard, and 3-point shooting legend, Craig Hodges, in Evanston, IL. Mr. Hodges is very outspoken, and talked about race, religion, gender, politics, and more. After he finished, he signed purchased books, and he personalized the book and added "91-92 World Champs" without my asking. I had brought 5 different cards, and after he signed the book, I asked if he wouldn't mind signing a card, and he said sure, and after signing it, he asked me if I had anything else to sign, so I gave him the other four cards, and he signed them all. A really interesting guy, and he was outspoken in a time when it wasn't accepted, which he feels cost him a job in the NBA.

Photo of the signed book and cards:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psynw5vft1.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 181

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

30-Apr-2017

Last Sunday, I went to a grocery store in the city of Chicago for an appearance by former Bills coach and new children's book author Marv Levy. I planned to buy the book and have him autograph it, but hoped he would sign other things, as he had done at an appearance at a bookstore the day before. Unfortunately, when he got there with his wife, he said he would only sign books, nothing else. Pretty disappointing, as there were about 15 people in total there, and some of us drove an hour and had stood there for almost two hours. Oh well.

Signed book "Go Cubs Go" written by Marv Levy:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psif09xqgb.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 182

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

06-May-2017

Today, I went to an appearance at a department store in Brookfield, WI, by former Green Bay Packers fullback and current New Orleans Saints fullback John Kuhn. Mr. Kuhn signed 6 cards for me, for free, and was very friendly to everyone.

Photo of the Kuhn autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psa83fnshc.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 188

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

13-May-2017

Last night, I went to the Brewers game at Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI, and this season, the Brewers have created a tailgate location called the Brew Crew Bar. For Saturday's game, they brought in former Brewers star Gorman Thomas, and I was able to get 4 cards signed, for free (well, I paid for parking, so not really free).

Photo of the Stormin' Gorman autographs:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...pscegvick5.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 192

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

Nice Ethan and I hope that was a 87 T that you needed.

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

Unfortunately no, I have gotten Thomas at the Brewers On Deck in the past. There are some former Brewers that I still need for the 87 Topps, I am hoping they are at a game that I am at!

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

21-May-2017

Today, I went to an appearance by WWE Superstar Dolph Ziggler at a cell phone store in Wheeling, IL. Mr. Ziggler signed two cards for me, and took a photo with everyone. Wrestling is not really my thing, but I haven't had a chance to get out much this month, and this was pretty close to my home.

Photo of the Dolph Ziggler autographs:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psdoxzanix.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 194

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

24-May-2017

Today I went to a book signing by former NY Yankees, Reds, Mariners, Devil Rays, and Cubs manager Lou Piniella, at a bookstore in La Grange, IL. Mr. Piniella told some stories, and then signed everyone's book, and also signed outside items. I was able to get my book signed, and three cards signed, although he signed the cards in black Sharpie instead of my blue. I already have him on a 1987 Topps, but I will swap that out with this IP auto.

Photos of the Piniella autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psvn37xegh.jpg (signed book)
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psmzfmnxgx.jpg (outside of book)

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 198

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast