Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

05-Sep-2017

Earlier this week, I went to an event called Be In the Know: A Parent and Youth Forum, held at Joliet West High School in Joliet, IL, which was sponsored by the Will County Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition and which advertised guest speakers Robert Covington of the Philadelphia 76ers, Evan Turner of the Portland Trailblazers, Doug Collins, former head coach, Michael Carter-Williams of the Chicago Bulls, Tom Thayer, former Chicago Bears, Cameron Payne of the Chicago Bulls, Roger Powell Jr, former Illini player and current head coach at Vanderbilt, and Pastor Jolinda Wade, who is the mother of Dwyane Wade. I contacted the people running the event, and they said there would be an autograph session afterwards.
    So I got cards for everyone ready, and even brought a mini ball, just in case Dwyane came by as well to support his mom. When I got to the high school, I saw Doug Collins walking in, so that was a good sign. I get to the auditorium, and it is packed with high school kids. Apparently, this was a mandatory event for the whole freshman class of the high school, so I felt a bit awkward. Anyway, the event finally starts 30 minutes late, and Doug Collins, Tom Thayer, Roger Powell Jr, and Pastor Wade were there, but Cam Payne was stuck in traffic, and none of the other players (Covington, Turner, Carter-Williams, or Dwyane Wade) were there, and while Cam Payne did arrive a few minutes late in a walking boot [he had surgery this morning on his foot and is out 3-4 months], none of the other athletes ever showed up. Each person spoke, and after Tom Thayer spoke, he said sorry, but I have to go do a radio broadcast, and left. When the event ended, they said there would be an autograph session, but due to NCAA Recruiting rules, Powell could not sign autographs or take photos. Doug Collins got up and walked off-stage, presumably to the bathroom. The whole student body got in line, and I got behind them, to basically meet Cam Payne. I kept waiting for Doug Collins to appear, but apparently, he had left instead. I finally got to Cam Payne, and he signed two cards for me. So, all in all, it was pretty disappointing (6 hours round trip including driving and the actual forum), I hate when they advertise something but don't come through and don't update the flyers.

Photo of the Cam Payne autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psnpqkagzo.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 421
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

10-Sep-2017

Yesterday, I went to Kenosha, WI to attend the Milwaukee Bucks 'Own The Future' Statewide Tour stop, featuring Bucks guard Rashad Vaughn. This annual event goes to various locations around Wisconsin over the course of two weekends, with about 5 stops per weekend. This one was close enough for me to shoot up, and I was able to get 5 cards and 2 8x10's signed, for free, by Mr. Vaughn.

Photo of the Vaughn autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psbrltg7qs.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 428

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

12-Sep-2017

This evening, I went to the taping of a Chicago Bears TV show in Vernon Hills, hosted by former Chicago Bears long snapper Patrick Mannelly, with special guest, Chicago bears defensive end Akiem Hicks. I had ordered a card of Hicks, but unfortunately it didn't arrive in time, so I hastily grabbed a couple images off the internet and had them printed as 8x10's. One of them came out a touch pixelly, which bugs the heck out of me. Anyway, after the show taping, Mr. Hicks signed 2 8x10's for me, and then I also had Mr. Mannelly sign 4 custom cards created by the great @djauwerda.

Photos of the Hicks auto and 1 of the Mannelly customs:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psropxeplp.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 431

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

15-Sep-2017

This evening, I went to an appearance by former Chicago Bears safety Tony Parrish in Niles, IL. I had 4 different cards, and he knows when every photo on the cards was taken, it's really quite impressive. He is an extremely nice and chatty guy, and I got all 4 cards signed, for free.

Photo of the Parrish autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0sg1jnkn.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 435

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

16-Sep-2017

Today, I went to a Dick's Sporting Goods Grand Opening in Northbrook, IL to get autographs from former Chicago Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster. Mr. Dempster was incredibly friendly, and signed 6 cards for me and my kids, and also autographed and gave each of promo 5x9's, and asked if we wanted a picture.

Photo of the Dempster autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psvpvvm15l.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 442

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

18-Sep-2017

I live in the suburbs of Chicago, and rarely go to signings in the city, due to traffic, weather, irritations, etc., but yesterday, I had to check in to a hotel in the city for a meeting, and decided to go to a city event. A local radio station was doing a live broadcast and interview with Chicago Bears rookie Tarik Cohen, and so I printed out two photos and went. The person running the event said he would sign during commercial breaks, and the interview was from 7 to 8 pm. Cohen got there at 6:30, but they brought him to a back room for a half hour. He then came out, and the first interview section lasted from 7 to 7:30. He then started to sign during the commercial break, but the person in charge was saying one per person. I followed the rules and gave him 1 photo to sign, but everyone else was dropping multiple photos and mini helmets, and he signed them all. I was irritated, because I actually followed the rules (for once), but no one else was. They told me that there would be another break, and he would stay after and sign, and the radio station guy said "We will get it taken care of for you." So, I went to the back of the line, and waited. The next break was at 7:55, and he started to sign, but most of the people in line were people who had already gone through and gotten multiple items signed, so the person running it decided that he needed to leave. They quickly got him up, and walked him out. People rushed outside to try to get him to sign there, but his handler said "We are done with autographs", and he left.
    I am always happy to get an autograph, but if you are going to say 1 per, then enforce it. If you are allowing more than 1, then allow it for all. My irritation is seeing everyone else get 3 or so things signed, and I listened to the person in charge and only put 1 photo down. **Please note, I usually try to get multiple things signed even if there is a sign saying 1 per, so technically this is karma.

Anyway, I am still in the city at my meeting, so I will add a photo at the end of the week.

Photo of the Cohen autograph:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psuiwk2pmx.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 443
    Last edited by arfmax; 09-21-2017 at 11:09 PM. Reason: photo added

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

21-Sep-2017

On the way home from my meetings in the city, I stopped right down the street from where I live at a restaurant and brewery in Lincolnshire, IL, who had 3 former Chicago Bears appearing: Emery Moorehead, Jim Morrissey, and Brian Baschnagel. I didn't have anything left for Moorehead or Morrissey to sign, but I did have two cards of Baschnagel, and so you could get an autograph with either a raffle ticket, a purchase of the mini helmets available at the bar, or if you ate a meal at the restaurant, so I had a meal, and got two autographs on 1981 Topps football cards (one is a bit off center, and ironically he signed that one and went off the sides of the card at the beginning and end of his sig). He also had on his 1985 Super Bowl ring, and gave it to me to look at and take photos of it, which is cool.

Photo of the Baschnagel autos:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psiq0kbgew.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 445

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

23-Sep-2017

Today was the somewhat annual Larry A. Pogofsky Chicago All-Star Softball Challenge, played between former Chicago Cubs and former Chicago White Sox, plus a few extra sports guys thrown in, played at the Schaumburg Boomers minor league stadium in Schaumburg, IL. I believe this is the 5th time they have had this, in 6 years. Anyway, I brought cards for all of the players, and was able to get the following:
    Former Cubs:
    2 cards signed by Ryan Dempster, 2 cards signed by Roosevelt Brown, 1 card signed by Jose Cardenal, 2 cards signed by Antonio Alfonseca, 1 card signed by Cliff Floyd, 2 cards signed by Kyle Farnsworth, 2 cards signed by Corey Patterson, 1 card signed by Adam Greenberg, 1 card signed by Derrek Lee, 1 card signed by Bill Madlock, and 1 card signed by Carlos Zambrano.

Photo of the signed Cubs cards:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psmv376cxg.jpg

Former White Sox:
    3 cards signed by Freddy Garcia, 2 cards signed by Adam Russell, 2 cards signed by Bob Howry, 2 cards signed by Carl Everett, 2 cards signed by Joe Crede, 2 cards signed by Toby Hall, 2 cards signed by Jon Garland, 2 cards signed by Brian Anderson, and 2 cards signed by former Chicago Blackhawks winger Darryl Sutter.

Photo of the signed White Sox/Blackhawks cards:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psc2mjbvsa.jpg

Lots of other guys there that I wasn't able to get any autos from, including Ray Burris (who wouldn't sign because he is doing a signing at a store tomorrow, and thought it would be disloyal to sign at the event), Lee Smith, Jerome Walton, Fergie Jenkins (he kept stopping to sign, and someone with him kept stopping him and telling everyone Fergie would be doing a paid signing at some store tonight), Brian McRae (for some reason, just kept ignoring me), Norberto Martin, Scott Podsednik, Jermaine Dye, Bill Simas, Mike Huff, Mike Cameron, and Lance Briggs.

All in all, 35 autographs, with the big get being Derrek Lee and Carlos Zambrano. Also, it was over 90 degrees, and incredibly unpleasant for September in Chicagoland!

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 480

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

30-Sep-2017

This afternoon, I went to a free signing at a liquor store in Wheeling, IL by former Chicago Bears wide receiver Wendell Davis. Mr. Davis signed 4 cards for me.

Photo of the Davis cards:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...psrj7znoge.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 484

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

07-Oct-2017

Today, I went to a meet and greet for legendary supermodel Christie Brinkley, who was selling bottles of her wine. With the purchase of one bottle of wine, Ms. Brinkley took a photo with you, signed a bottle, and I had her sign a 2005-06 Bowman card as well, at a liquor store in Lincoln Park, in Chicago, IL. She is over 60 years old, and looks absolutely amazing!

Photo of the signed bottle and card:
    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1itx1ag2.jpg

-arfmax
    Total IP autos in 2017: 486
    Last edited by arfmax; 10-09-2017 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added photo

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast