Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Diamond Resorts Invitational Golf Tournament 1/13

Attended the Diamond Resorts Invitational Golf Tournament yesterday at Disneyworld. Last year I went to the Celebrity Pro-Am which was not at Disney and it was fantastic, security wasn't really enforcing and even though I followed the rules (i.e. no baseballs or equipment, etc.), lots of people brought in such items and got them autographed.

This year the Celebrity Pro-Am was closed to the public so I got a ticket for the first day of the tournament (yesterday). In the days leading up to the event, the rules seemed to get really strict. Even though the website said no memorabilia (and listed baseballs, footballs, hockey pucks, etc.) and it said you can only bring one sports jersey to the event (and only if you were wearing it), when contacting the event coordinator, the restrictions expanded to no photos, no baseball cards (although one guy said they would probably be ok), etc. Plus being at Disney, you can only imagine what security would be like.

So, I packed a regulation sized clear plastic bag (bags have to be a certain size and type to bring them in), and put in 3x5 notecards, 8x10 photo sheets (blank), a few snap cases of baseball cards, sharpies, and a small stack of about 5 photos and 3 Sports Illustrated magazines. I was willing to lose those if they were confiscated, but I really wanted the Cubs issue signed by Lester and Lackey, who were both there. Also, Justin Verlander does not sign blank sheets or cards, so I had a photo of him as well, and a few others whose photos I've had for years.

We got there early, before the security tables were even set up (just like last year, which was a huge benefit). Guys started arriving with huge backpacks, duffel bags, wearing several jerseys over each other. Everybody hung out around the driving range and eventually security showed up and said they all had to go back to their cars and drop off all memorabilia and large bags and backpacks. They said if they see anybody getting baseballs signed they will kick them out. They were also very strict on photos and we saw them kick several guys out of the event.

Since 8x10 white photo sheets are not photos, my only worries were with the cards. Initially some guys said no cards, but they didn't seem to care after a while.

There also was supposed to be no autograph signing on the course, some players followed that rule, others didn't. At the end of the day we hung out around the clubhouse getting guys returning from their rounds and it was on and off raining, so we had mixed success there.

Here is what I got, I was very happy even though I didn't get Lackey, Lester, Clemens, or Verlander. Kate Upton was also there and signed an Allen and Ginter card for one guy. In some cases, I got a 3x5 signed even though I had a card or photo of the player, it really depended on where it was and where the security guys were, you really had to play it by ear and I didn't want to get kicked out while getting an autograph of somebody that wasn't high priority. It also depended on the rain.

My only regret was not bringing my camera since it said no cameras on tournament days (and my cell phone is horrible for pictures). I was there with a friend and he did get a few shots that I will post when he sends them to me.

Ian Woosnam and Colin Montgomerie
    IMG_0469.jpg

Colt Ford
    IMG_0485.jpg

Michael Waltrip and Kevin Millar
    IMG_0486.jpg

Josh Beckett
    IMG_0487.jpg

Larry Fitzgerald
    IMG_0488.JPG

Jake Owen
    IMG_0489.jpg

Larry the Cable Guy
    IMG_0490.jpg

Alfonso Ribiero
    IMG_0491.jpg

Troy Glaus
    IMG_0492.jpg

Rob Riggle (Thorpe! Thorpe! Thorpe! from Modern Family)
    IMG_0493.jpg

Patrick Peterson
    IMG_0494.jpg

Jack Wagner (Peter Burns)
    IMG_0495.jpg

Jeremy Roenick
    IMG_0496.jpg

Mark Rypien
    IMG_0497.jpg

Ryan Longwell
    IMG_0484.jpg

Josh Beckett and Phil Nevin
    IMG_0483.jpg

Greg Maddux
    IMG_0470.jpg

John Smoltz
    IMG_0471.jpg

Gaylord Perry
    IMG_0472.jpg

Tom Glavine
    IMG_0473.jpg

Richard Dent
    IMG_0474.jpg

Brian McCann
    IMG_0475.jpg

Tim Wakefield and Josh Donaldson
    IMG_0476.jpg

Bud Norris
    IMG_0477.jpg

Mark DeRosa
    IMG_0478.jpg

Derek Lowe
    IMG_0479.jpg

Johnny Damon
    IMG_0480.jpg

Blair O'Neal Brittany Lincicome Lexi Thompson Brittany Lang
    IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

Mike Modano
    IMG_0498.jpg
    Last edited by mberger718; 01-14-2017 at 09:21 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lizard-jd's Items on eBay

Great success despite the tight security. I guess this is the way of all future celebrity events cause of all the crazies out there! The spring training sites and ballparks are all locking down player interaction or access. They are installing metal detectors (good!) at ballparks and limiting (bad!) what you can bring in to try to get signed. The age old tradition of getting a bat signed, except a mini-bat that they sell, is going out since they do not allow them into the ballparks. You can likely beat the crap out of someone more easy swinging a mini bat than with a standard 32oz bat - LOL! On a side note, I watched part of the tourney on TV and couldn't believe the "gut" on Tom Glavine - guess he's been hitting a few brews in retirement...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Bears Chicago Bulls

Awesome haul!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

do you mind if I tweet this on the SCF feed?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Great success despite the tight security. I guess this is the way of all future celebrity events cause of all the crazies out there! The spring training sites and ballparks are all locking down player interaction or access. They are installing metal detectors (good!) at ballparks and limiting (bad!) what you can bring in to try to get signed. The age old tradition of getting a bat signed, except a mini-bat that they sell, is going out since they do not allow them into the ballparks. You can likely beat the crap out of someone more easy swinging a mini bat than with a standard 32oz bat - LOL! On a side note, I watched part of the tourney on TV and couldn't believe the "gut" on Tom Glavine - guess he's been hitting a few brews in retirement...

I think they got tired of guys with duffel bags full of bats and jerseys and the "Lord of the Flies" mentality. Although there were a few other items I would have liked to bring in, I'm good with smaller items like cards and index cards. It's definitely getting tougher in baseball parks, which is why I am going to start focusing more on minor league spring training and regular season and less on major league. The minor leaguers are much more approachable, nicer, will sign more autographs, take pictures with you, etc. Then when they make the majors you don't have to worry about getting them. Some of the top prospects are tough and maybe not so friendly, but many of them are.

Funny how some of the items they restrict are the same items they have no problems charging outrageous prices for in the stadium.
    As far as your Tom Glavine comment, some players are definitely enjoying their retirement while others still look to be in great shape. I thought Glavine looked good actually.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks, about as good as I could have hoped for. You can't ever get everybody but I did well. You just have to follow the rules pretty closely and sometimes you can use the "gray area" to your advantage.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

do you mind if I tweet this on the SCF feed?

That would be fine. I didn't even realize that scf had a twitter account/feed!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

That would be fine. I didn't even realize that scf had a twitter account/feed!

scfnews

SCF Rewards
    Country

Great success! They all look great, especially the Modano with HOF inscription.

Wanted to go this morning but when I read what wasn't allowed inside and having to go through Disney security, I didn't bother waking up early.

Do you know if Ray Allen or Urlacher signed anything?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Great success! They all look great, especially the Modano with HOF inscription.

Wanted to go this morning but when I read what wasn't allowed inside and having to go through Disney security, I didn't bother waking up early.

Do you know if Ray Allen or Urlacher signed anything?

I saw both sign a bit on the first day (Saturday), which was the only day I went. Ray Allen was in the last group to start and said he would sign after he was done, but I didn't stay that late (it would have been pushing 5pm by then and it was raining on and off). I also saw Urlacher sign a little bit, I got him a couple of times last year so I didn't chase him. My friend got him but his autograph was just a B with a line after it.j

Mike