Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you could buy cases and be nearly guaranteed a good return with a decent possibility of even making some money, almost everyone here would be buying cases left, right, and center. Busting wax is a lot of fun, and if you could have a lot of fun while barely being out any coin, who wouldn't want that?

Reality though is that there just isn't the secondary market to support even close to break even case breaking, which is why a lot of people who need to scratch the breaking itch have moved to group breaks. For a fraction of the price of the full case, you can get all the hits for your team - this might be an option to consider if you're only interested in the Hab hits. Some group breaks are random teams where everyone pays the same price... but other group breaks you can choose the team though popular teams come at a higher cost. Just make sure if you go that route you stick with a trust worthy group breaker and buyer beware with some of the guys on ebay (there are honest ones but scams have happened).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Country

you are most likely going to get destroyed on any current ish product as many have mentioned, there just isn't the secondary market for the 99.9% of cases that don't land that amazing product hit pretty much like a shield of superstar rookie, you have to be in acceptance of basically setting a portion of your money on fire, for the joy and thrill of opening a box and venturing out into the unknown.

Now it comes down to what are you most interested in? I think a lot of people like OPC plat or SPA as a fun break, lots of colors and variations and a tonne of rookies in OPC plat, SPA has 3 autos per box on average and almost all hard signed if you into autographs. My personal preference would be older Panini product as they are no longer making hockey cards, so their products are a lot cheaper now, a case of Pinnacle, Limited, or 13-14 Rookie Anthology could be fun and 13-14 had a lot of great rookies in that draft year like Tarasenko,Mack, Monahan, Hertl, and Huberdeau, among others who have proven to be pretty good players.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @OscarsCards See oscars-cards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Buying a case is a lottery and trading cards isn't an investment, don't be silly.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (489)
    Country
    Upper Deck ePack

Buying a case is a lottery and trading cards isn't an investment, don't be silly.

+1

This is for F-U-N!
    Collecting; Autos, GU'd & RC of Red Wings, Brodeur, Hasek & Shanahan and ITG 2004-05 Franchises. Motown Madness & Broad Street Boys.
    Want List: Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree. It is for fun and is a horrible investment and buying a case is a total gamble. The question was, "IF you wanted to gamble, what case would you buy?"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics New England Patriots San Jose Sharks
    See vicdah_7755's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Like previously stated, it's an horrible investment but I certainly can see the drift for fun an entertainment.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (21)
    Country

I can say that I've only bought 1 case and it was this year's series 1. Got 3/4 of my money back. In my opinion unless your buying a high end product you chances of hitting it big aren't that great. If your like me and you love to break and don't mind losing a bit, I'd go with a case of the upcoming series 2.
    You've got to be willing to move your hits fast and if you do you'll be fine. Most of the inserts will hold value for the first few weeks.
    I would never buy a case of an old product. Especially series 1 or 2.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

It all depends if you don't mind taking a hit. Personally, I only buy cheaper cases (ranging between 300-750). I've never pulled the trigger on a massive case like The Cup. They way I look at it, is that I am spending the money on the entertainment value of opening the boxes. Anything I might make on the top is just gravy.

EDIT: I also only buy a couple of cases a year, when I have extra cash. Like tax return season

SCF Rewards
    Country

You might be better off just buying a McDavid or 2. Good thing you did your homework first before you bought a case..

SCF Rewards
    Country

I bought a case, got 1 McDavid and about 100 bucks in other cards. Break wasn't even much fun. Sold the McDavid for 150, a few other YG's for $100 total and basically tossed the rest. Wasn't expecting to get rich, or even break even, but the value in a case of UD cards these days is non existent. So much so, that I am on the sidelines until something changes.

I am fortunate to have enough expendable money to be able to break as much wax as I want but the value is flat out insulting. It's literally throwing money away to open UD wax, take that 1500 bucks throw it on red and have a shot at actually getting something in return.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast