Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Philadelphia Eagles Toronto Blue Jays
    See maritimesportscards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Losing the passion for modern

Hey guys. I'm not sure if I'm alone on this or not but I seem to find myself watching new release after new release go by without batting an eye at them. As a Leafs fan this should be the year when we should be pulling out the big guns and collecting the new stuff like crazy. The only things that seem to catch my eye are True RCs. Autos and Patches even of the best guys can't seem to motivate me to make an offer or a bid. I'm thinking of moving out 95% of my modern collection and shifting to vintage. Anyone else have the same feelings?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yes and no.

I had built sets right up to (and including) last season.... made the decision that I was done with that, decided to move out all my UD Sets.... so this year, I have not purchased a single pack of UD Series 1 (I'd normally be good for a couple of boxes). Doesn't have anything to do with Modern vs Vintage, I'm just not interested in building those sets anymore.

The other two main parts of my collection, I have not moved and I have no desire to keep stopping. New Ranford cards this year I'm still chasing.... and the group of Oilers rookies this year - I'm just as interested in adding a single Rookie Card for each player as I was last year, or any prior year. If no APR exists for the player (or I can't afford one, lol) then maybe I'll add more than one card.

But, do I have any desire to crack a box of SPGU, SPA, SPx, Artifacts, etc, etc, etc?? Nope. None.

Saying all that, Compendium I'm having a lot of fun with on the ePack site. I'm assuming that aside from about a dozen singles (max) this year - that's about the only thing I'll be chasing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yes, I have the same feeling as you. I have over 10,000 New York Rangers cards (mostly base) from 1965-present, and I have lost interest in picking up team sets of the new stuff. I have almost every Rangers base card from 1965-2004, and from 2005-10 I have everything but The Cup (due to costs of ARPs). I thought about continuing to do this going forward, but I can't get excited about the new sets. I am clearing out a lot of my 2010-present stuff and focusing mostly on filling holes in my existing collection and collecting early 1960s Topps Rangers cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays
    See AG1181's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There's simply too much product out there. I keep falling for it. Upper Deck, I'm looking at you. Black Diamond is such an expensive product, and the best they can do is manufactured patches? Granted, I only recently returned to the hobby after a while out, but I'm thinking next season I go back into the shadows.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It ebbs and flows for me. With the cost of wax these days I'm breaking even less than I used to, and with the cost of Carey Price stuff these days I'm having to be very selective in what I chase. But for the first time in...ever...I'm actually psyched about SPGU this year. Lots of great Habs stuff in there so I've got my first real subset-building endeavour in a long time.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

It really depends for me. I used to collect all sorts of sets when I first started collecting, and then shifted more to a player PC. I finally gave that up for the most part and started team collecting, which seemed much more of a fit for me. I have only broken boxes sporadically over the last 10+ years, until I got bitten by the Platinum bug last year. I opened two cases plus a bunch of boxes. Couldn't help it; the shiny drew me in full tilt.

It's all about what gets you excited. If modern doesn't do it anymore, then get what does do it for you.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I hear you, I used to buy a lot of boxes myself, usually at least one from every release but now i mostly just buy SP Authentic and ICE. I then pick up the odd card from the other releases off ebay or wherever. I too think there are way too many releases and way too many rookie cards out there of these guys. No wonder all the new guys coming into the NHL have terrible looking signatures, they must have to sign their autograph 5000+ times just to get all these manufactured RPA cards out. With this said, I am a sucker for SPA every year and always try to complete the FW Auto set...

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I'll usually just stick to SPA every year and some UD Blasters for the odd rip :) I don't touch that other stuff, it's just way too expensive. Though I do like seeing new cards come out.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I find myself spending less and less every year. Mind you, moving out of my parent's house and into my new home within the last 2 years is part of the reason lol.
    But that being said, product price keeps going up, quality (imo) keeps going down. As mentioned above, who in tehir right mind would want a manufactured patch from BD?!
    I was big into boxes 13-14 with the DRC. Year fter I slowed down and last year, with the price increases due to McDavid, I think I bought 3 blasters of Series 1. Thats it.

This year I have purchased a bit more with Series 1 and Trilogy with the Matthews/Laine rookies, but I do not see myself buying much of anything excpet say Series 2 and maybe SPA. Maybe.

To be honest, the more and more I look at vintage stuff from ITG/Leaf the more it is appealing to me. I would have tried a group break or two of President Choice Centenial but they should quickly on the sites I am on.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mr2latino's Items on eBay

Sold all of my modern stuff almost 2 years ago and focused on vintage rookies. Recently though I've been chasing the 52/53 parkhurst and that's been even more fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast