Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Would you grade it?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Question Would you grade it?

Pretty much the only vintage card I own. And I realize there is not much demand for it so this is probably just a theoretical exorcise. Does anybody know how harsh they are about centering on vintage cards? Here is the card:

First of all, this card doesn't scan well to begin with... and I have it in the same super old/scratched screw down holder I got it in 20 yrs ago! You will just have to take my word for it but beyond centering it looks gem mint to me. Compared to the other ones I saw on EB (ones with zoom!), mine is fantastic! Super crisp corners! With the centering like that though, would it come back a 7 or something? There is a PSA 7 up with decent centering but one of the corners looks slightly dinged. Was hoping to see a BVS one so I could see the breakdown of scores. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Not a grading expert by any means, so I can't comment on vintage centering and how they would value that over the other card elements, but it seems like you're very interested, so I would go for it. I think it would be interesting to see the grade, and you seem confident in the card grading potential also.

Plus the card would look sweet in a proper slab, too. I would go PSA since they seen to be the go-to company for vintage gradings.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do! Awesome Sawchuk!
    Last edited by creasecollector; 02-09-2017 at 02:03 AM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Nowhere close to understanding grading myself either. Only ones I currently own are ones that came out of packs like that. LOL. I have always wondered about sending stuff in, but it ain't exactly cheap... ok it's not that bad, I am the cheap one! I see those funds as another purchase of a card I like instead. Hahaha. Good to know about the vintage/PSA grading. I would of went beckett for sure. PSA slabs just look cheap. Maybe it's just me but if your gonna send your high end stuff to be graded, you want it to look good too.

Not a grading expert by any means, so I can't comment on vintage centering and how they would value that over the other card elements, but it seems like you're very interested, so I would go for it. I think it would be interesting to see the grade, and you seem confident in the card grading potential also.

Plus the card would look sweet in a proper slab, too. I would go PSA since they seen to be the go-to company for vintage gradings.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do! Awesome Sawchuk!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Nowhere close to understanding grading myself either. Only ones I currently own are ones that came out of packs like that. LOL. I have always wondered about sending stuff in, but it ain't exactly cheap... ok it's not that bad, I am the cheap one! I see those funds as another purchase of a card I like instead. Hahaha. Good to know about the vintage/PSA grading. I would of went beckett for sure. PSA slabs just look cheap. Maybe it's just me but if your gonna send your high end stuff to be graded, you want it to look good too.

I totally get where you're at, and I'm the same way. Right now I only have 1 or 2 cards I'd consider sending in to get graded, but the cost + need isn't really there for me right now, so I'm holding off on the idea for now.

But that vintage card is something I would consider getting graded. Vintage cards look great when kept super mint like that.

And as for the slabs looks, I do think BGS looks better than PSA any day. Plus the individual grades are a good plus.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I look at this way, if you have had the card for 20+ you have no intentions of getting rid of it right? Why not send it in, see what it grades and as a bonus get it put in a nice clean holder that no matter the grade will look better on your shelf then the scratched one you have it in now. Think of it as paying for a really nice holder and knowing what the card is really worth on the market. My preference is BGS right now, I want the sub-grades, if the others would tell us then PSA is the better way value wise. Go with what you like and think of what you will do with it when you get it back....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues

For vintage cards, I think it adds to the value no matter the final grade. Just knowing that they're not a re-print is crucial.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    See 529mi's Items on eBay

For vintage cards, I think it adds to the value no matter the final grade. Just knowing that they're not a re-print is crucial.

That's a good reason, right there.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues

That's a good reason, right there.

Thanks! I'm a novice when it comes to pre-1990, so when I recently started looking to add some vintage to my collection (Gretzky RC, etc), the amount of re-prints was overwhelming. I wouldn't consider buying any un-graded vintage, personally.
    I do think it's a bit silly for modern cards, though.