Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Nyquist could land longest suspension of the season for high stick on spurgeon

Gustav Nyquist has never, not once, been suspended in his career. Matter of fact, save a minor run-in with league disciplinarians for diving, Nyquist’s rap sheet is about as clean as they come. That might not be able to save him from landing the longest suspension of the 2016-17 campaign, however.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...tter-All_Users

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

I do not condone what he did for one second, but after he did it, he did seem to have an "Oh, $*!#, what did I do?" moment. I think he'll get suspended, but not sure for how many games.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

Whole heatedly agree. You could tell right after the hit he was like 'oh ****, what have I done?'

But it's weird... later on he acted as if he was lifting his stick up to go OVER Spurgeon's head to get his stick behind him as if the puck were going there. I don't believe that for an instant.

As a HUGE Wings fan (and owner of 14/14 Titanium Rookie Nyquist) I know that is was intentional, but not to the severity and I believe it is quite obvious Red Wings are scrambling and getting extremely frustrated about not making the playoffs. 5 losses in a row... I have to say I watched 3 of those games and the officiating against the Wings have been brutal. That alone would get me frustrated.

Not sure what the longest suspension is this season but right off the bat I don't agree with him being served the longest suspension of the season. How did Spurgeon not cross-check him? He hit him in the numbers and Nyquist fell to his knees. With some better officiating this sort of retaliation would not happen.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

He's not a dirty player (no history of this stuff) and there was no injury.... so I'll actually be surprised if the league gives him more than 6 games. Maybe that's the longest of the season... but I doubt they'll come down all that hard on him.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (15)
    Country

The ref should get a suspension for missing the call, as well.

New Member Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manthis02's Items on eBay

ban him for the
    rest of season
    and playoffs.
    my new flicker

Hidden Content

- ( IN ROCK WE TRUST )= (ITS ROCK or BUST)-

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

6 Games?!

https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-red...?tid=277549076

I'm sorry, I don't care that Nyquist doesn't have a history, and that he has never been fined or suspended. 6 games for a spear to the face is a joke. The NHL has no business calling that farce of a department that handles 'discipline' for game infractions as 'Player Safety'.

The NHL does not care, and has never cared about about the safety of their players. If the NHL is not, and has never been willing to deliver proper suspensions to players, because teams depend on the perpetrators down the road, things will never change. Owners get insurance money and cap relief for injured players and owners get no cap relief and still pay out salary which then goes to the NHL instead of the suspended player.

If you are serious about getting this out of the game you need to make the punishments bad enough that most players will never want to face that punishment, and that the punishments are severe enough that the players who don't care about the punishments aren't playing anymore.
    Last edited by mikecole141; 02-15-2017 at 07:35 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I agree. Six games is a complete farce and further proves the disciplinary folks have their heads up there derrieres. I don't care about his history, he clearly intended to spear a guy in the face. His "what did I just do" reaction some here say he had...doesn't matter. Nasty thing he did.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Players get hurt in sports. Get over it. If you wanna see a one-person show where they can be their absolute best without interference then watch the Olympics. (btw, people die in the olympics)

6 games is a joke. I would give him 3 at most. I would suspend the refs without pay for thew rest of the season.

Or let's just watch sports events ref'd and played by robots !

DEATH TO INTEGRITY IN SPORTS
    #GoRobot

SCF Rewards
    Country

The people whining about this retaliatory action are the same that whine about enforcers and fights. You know how you stop retaliatory actions like this? ENFORCERS AND FIGHTS!

Don't want a stick in your face? Then don't be a prick. Eventually everyone gets what they deserve.

#GoRobot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast