Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Errant sharpie on GU Goalie card, or puck mark?

I just opened this pack of 13-14 Artifacts and pulled this Rinne card. Am I looking at an errant sharpie, of have I let my imagination run wild in thinking it could be a puck mark?

DSCF4105.JPGDSCF4106.JPG

SCF Rewards
    Country

Looks like Ink run. Quality Control wasnt doing they"re job on that day!! I doubt its a puck mark though. Sorry to be a downer lol..

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Hmmmm, I could definitely see it being a puck mark. I'm a goalie myself, and after taking a look at one of my white jersey's, it looks thick enough to be a puck mark. Consistent, too. Pucks make all sorts of weird marks on my jersey's. Some are chunky, others are thin like this one. Pretty cool!

Edit:
    I also have a puck mark card in my collection
    Last edited by creasecollector; 02-22-2017 at 02:49 AM.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays
    See pieytremblay's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Hmmmm, I could definitely see it being a puck mark. I'm a goalie myself, and after taking a look at one of my white jersey's, it looks thick enough to be a puck mark. Consistent, too. Pucks make all sorts of weird marks on my jersey's. Some are chunky, others are thin like this one. Pretty cool!

Yep, well said, i also believe it can be a puck mark.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I would lean towards puck mark, possibly also a board burn. But more likely puck. I've seen some goalie jerseys take a real beating.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Um, wow. Assuming we're right, this is easily the sweetest GU card I've got.
    Was thinking about emailing UD to ask, do you think they'd respond with anything useful? I have virtually no experience with their customer service.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Um, wow. Assuming we're right, this is easily the sweetest GU card I've got.
    Was thinking about emailing UD to ask, do you think they'd respond with anything useful? I have virtually no experience with their customer service.

You can try, but I don't think UD will come back to you with anything concrete. Maybe they will, but I'm not sure they field questions like that?

I would be very confident saying it's a puck mark. A permanent marker is very unlikely here I think, as a sharpie would be thinner and shakier, plus the consistency and thickness of the "mark" is puck mark like. So congrats!
    Last edited by creasecollector; 02-22-2017 at 06:46 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

I have often felt that what we often perceive as a "puck mark", meaning, caused by the puck hitting that part of the jersey, is actually black hockey tape marking. I'm not trying to take anything away from the "puck mark" label, since the tape mark still implies that the mark was left because of some in-game action. I just think that it's far more likely that tape is the cause of these marks rather than pucks. Food for thought, anyhow.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

I have often felt that what we often perceive as a "puck mark", meaning, caused by the puck hitting that part of the jersey, is actually black hockey tape marking. I'm not trying to take anything away from the "puck mark" label, since the tape mark still implies that the mark was left because of some in-game action. I just think that it's far more likely that tape is the cause of these marks rather than pucks. Food for thought, anyhow.

Can you explain this a little more, maybe with pics? Never heard of tape leaving a mark looking like that. I've seen a lot of rubber hitting a jersey, and puck marks look a lot like this one.

I could be totally wrong here, but in my personal opinion that looks like a puck mark to me.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

The fact that we're talking about a goalie card here makes a puck mark a lot more likely, but what I mean is a skater, to me, seems more likely to have another player's stick shaft with tape on it (near the butt end, or in the middle, for faceoff purposes) rub up against them during a game (along the boards or in the corner during a puck battle, for example), than they would be taking a puck off of their upper torso. It's all speculative on my end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast