Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Gretzky Rookie Card OPC

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum. Hope everyone is having a great week. I wanted some help in regards to two Gretzky rookie cards I own. Both are graded a 5 by KSA that I purchased from eBay. I noticed the cards don't look exactly the same. The issue I have is one card is clearer and the picture looks more vivid. The other appears to be cloudier.

Any opinions on the two cards?

Thanks,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hmmmm.. There are alot of Fakes out there but you would think if graded by KSA they would have caught the fake. I cant be certain but they definitely look different..

SCF Rewards
    Country

I thought the same thing that because it's graded how would they miss that. If I can notice a difference you would think they (KSA) would.

The other thing I noticed are small red dots around the skates and legs. The other card doesn't have that. I had to use a magnifying glass to see that difference. Not sure if that can be caused if one card was exposed to the sun or other elements over the years??

BTW....thanks for replying.
    Last edited by Salem; 02-22-2017 at 09:23 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You may want to regrade them via PSA/BGS. Hopefully then, you'll know for certain.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Chicago Cubs Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @@BartenderRon47 COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/h...ky-rookie-card

Not saying either of your cards is a counterfeit, but this article does raise some eyebrows!
    Always looking for Senators cards! Must be a draft pick, or the card is identifiable as a Senators card before I want it!
    Until further notice, I ship on Mondays. Only day off, so only chance to get to the Post Office.
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Someone taught me this tip. Buy a common card of the same set. Hard to see people making fakes of commons.

Then use your magnifying glass to compare the dots/paper quality.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not the greatest of scans but it appears(?) that you simply have one-copy with what is quite often referred to as "colour-run".

Imagine putting new cartridges in your printer and then printing (100) copies of a photograph. Look at the first copy that came out of the printer, then look at the last one. I think you would find that the first copy is darker? That is likely what you have with your Gretzky's.

Look on the back of the cards and see if you have two horizontal lines running from end-to-end as well. If you do, then that card came from the first print-run.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not the greatest of scans but it appears(?) that you simply have one-copy with what is quite often referred to as "colour-run".

Imagine putting new cartridges in your printer and then printing (100) copies of a photograph. Look at the first copy that came out of the printer, then look at the last one. I think you would find that the first copy is darker? That is likely what you have with your Gretzky's.

Look on the back of the cards and see if you have two horizontal lines running from end-to-end as well. If you do, then that card came from the first print-run.

I did think about that it could have been a different print run. The more vivid card has the blue lines on the back (first print run), but the other doesn't , making it part of a different batch.
    Last edited by Salem; 02-27-2017 at 08:41 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Someone taught me this tip. Buy a common card of the same set. Hard to see people making fakes of commons.

Then use your magnifying glass to compare the dots/paper quality.

Good tip. I'll give that a try.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays Philadelphia Eagles

the gretzky rookie had 2 print runs that year....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast