Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

What up with COMC & the Outrageous pricing?

I decided to have a look on COMC to see what was there & I am stunned by the prices there. I see cards i paid $20-30 for with a price tag of $60 & up. Do they expect to sell these cards when they are priced well above full BV? This is just Craziness!! I seen 1 card that i paid $17 Cdn for & it was priced at $75, Bv was $40. I doubt i will ever be shopping there thats for sure.. Just my 2 cents worth..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Many sellers use the strategy of putting a price on a card that is twice what they'd really take for it, so that when the offer at 50% less comes in, they accept it. The appearance is that the buyer is getting a deal, when in fact they are usually paying slightly more than market value in most cases. I think it's a dishonest tactic, but I'm also not bothered or fooled by it.

I am not a COMC user, but my impression is that it is very much based on offers from buyers. Sellers just want buyers to do all of the work. The seller is making the buyer accept that ludicrous price, or reveal his hand as far as what he's willing to pay. The seller is obviously hoping that the buyer reveals a price that is higher than what they already have in their head. It's a tactic that says "overpay, or reveal your hand first".
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 02-25-2017 at 04:12 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree, i think its a slimy way to sell a card. I didnt see the option like EBay has where you can make an offer though. I probably didnt look hard enough because i was in shock lol.. Thanks for your input.. Cheers

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Ya I don't care for COMC my self....but not going to lie I have put a high price on some things before maybe even right now lol! Going with the you never know theory and not me trying to be dishonest since it's usually cards with no bv or above average patch. I know for sure that plenty of people from these forum sites have crazy prices on eBay too with multiple ebay accounts that I have figured out over the years. I would say we or most of us are guilty of it at some point or have been at some point.

I'm not sure if it's just my settings or whatever, the shipping I find more crazy then the prices to canada enyways. I looked at some cards for around $10 and shipping was $20 lol! And also the shipping seems to always vary from $13, $16.73, to $22.56.

But I find at the end of the day your only going to get what someone is willing to pay no mater what price you put on it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

In fairness I was overly harsh in my initial assessment. Often the double-times the price you see is twice the market price, so the 50% discount equates in a fair deal. It's just, why go through that unnecessary step to get there? It's all about the seller leaving the door open to get more than market value. I guess you can't fault someone for trying. There's also a difference in philosophy involved in selling. Personally, I'd rather sell a card more quickly, even if that means leaving something on the table. Other sellers have no problems waiting for a long time to get what they want for a card. There's no right or wrong either way. I can only speak for myself, and I'd just rather act quickly and not have to worry about never getting what I want for a card, or watching a card continually lose value and make myself look silly by hoping I'll get 2003 value in 2017 for a card that has long lost its charm. I digress, my bias is showing again. At the end of the day, a seller wants as much as possible and a buyer wants as little as possible. Some are more flagrant in their positions than others.
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 02-25-2017 at 04:43 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah, shipping is horrible as well. I see $3 with $22 shipping. Thats just rediculous!! Who in they're right mind is going to pay $25 for a cards maybe worth $5?? If you find someone like this please hit me up as i have a pile of cards i want to sell them..

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

there are different shipping options on COMC, I just had 6 cards shipped to me for $4.59.......and you can make an offer on any card listed the draw back is you must have funds in your account before making the offer
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Yeah I don't mind COMC overall but some of those listings can get a little crazy. Just need to pick your battles sometimes.

I remember back in the day (last year?) when COMC offered a flat $3 shipping for all of your cards. Awesome. Now it's a little more expensive, but for lower-end stuff it still can be pretty useful, and nice to pickup a big PC add once in a while, price permitting that is. The US exchange rate crushes us Canadians haha.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I've been using COMC as a seller and a buyer for years. Love the site.

Shipping is more expensive now than it used to be. I assume the combination of shiping cards for UD, and dealing on eBay, forced them to change how they did things... and the $3 flat rate went away. It's still not awful though. Last time I took a shipment from them it was 200 cards, and the cost was under $25.

I would not recommend it as a single card purchase place anymore... I would suggest buy cards you want, and wait until you have a bunch to ship them back to yourself. It will cost you a lot less. You just need to get over the fact that while you own the card, you don't have it in person right away.

And the prices on cards? There are some incredible deals to be had, but like anywhere there are also some sellers that are out to lunch. When you see a card listed for 4 or 5 times what anyone would actually pay for it - I assume that seller doesn't actually want to move their cards.

If you're working on any set that is sold via ePack, COMC is a great place to go to get singles.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's like any marketplace; COMC is no different from a large card show where you will see dealers who are over-pricing everything, you'll see guys who are pricing things to move quickly, and you'll see guys who are somewhere in that middle ground. You're picking out extreme examples here and I'm not sure that you're giving an accurate portrayal of the site and its benefits to collectors. Perhaps for some select cards, no you won't be able to get rock-bottom prices on things, but to say that you won't use the site at all? That's only short-changing yourself and your options because many times you can get great deals.

With so many of the cards that come from ePack now, sellers have to price competitively and race to the bottom or else they'll never move the cards...and since it is an out of sight out of mind thing since the cards are all warehoused at COMC, for a lot of sellers they don't really need to concern themselves too much. The guys who have their S1 inserts priced at $3 will never sell those cards, not when there's 75 guys who have those same inserts posted for $0.32 each.

You also have to remember: not everybody cares what prices can be realized for a card on eBay. If a seller has a rare card they're selling, they can dictate the terms at which they're willing to sell it. If you saw a card on eBay for $12 and their card is priced at $30, and you come at them with "I saw this card sell for $12 on eBay" they'll likely tell you that you should have gone and bought it on eBay. So many times cards sell for less than they should on eBay for a myriad of reasons--seller with low feedback, seller only ships to US, seller charges $20 s/h to Canada, auction ends at 3am, on and on. If you cherry-pick those and hold them up as "this is what the card is worth" you're going to be coming away empty handed on most occasions. Lots of guys today just want to move things quickly so that they can move on to the next thing--not many are in it for the long haul with a card.

I'm a big COMC fan. I've been using it for years. It was a favourite "best kept secret" for a long time where I could find cards I wanted for my collection. As it's grown exponentially since the deal with UD and ePack, they've evolved quite a bit. Some things are for the better (even more card accessibility) but some are not (the increase in turnaround times for orders, shipping costs) -- on the whole, still a tremendous resource for collectors.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast