Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Ben Bishop for... Peter Budaj???????????

Anyone care to shed some light on this trade? I just don't get it. No offense to Budaj as he did have a pretty good year (with a pretty good team) but he played the entire year in the minors last year... and went winless!!! I was surprised when he was called up and somehow LA turned him into Ben Bishop. Freakin genius! And if Quick really is all good, is Ben gonna be back-up? Traded elsewhere?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Anyone care to shed some light on this trade? I just don't get it. No offense to Budaj as he did have a pretty good year (with a pretty good team) but he played the entire year in the minors last year... and went winless!!! I was surprised when he was called up and somehow LA turned him into Ben Bishop. Freakin genius! And if Quick really is all good, is Ben gonna be back-up? Traded elsewhere?

goalie market sucks this year. TB wanted to get something for Ben Bishop rather than nothing for him after this season. I think the person i feel most bad for is Peter Budaj. Hey thanks for saving our season Peter but we are going to have to trade you now that Quick is back. sorry bud. you're going to Tampa

SCF Rewards
    Country

At the end of the day Vasilesky is TBL's goalie and had zero intentions to sign him in the offseason due to the multiple other key players that needed to be resigned this offseason. Also it's a smart move for LA who would most likely want to ease fulltime duties for Quick or just in case he re-aggravates his injury.

SCF Rewards
    Country

For Budaj AND a prospect who was taken in the second round in 2015 and a conditional pick that apparently could turn into a 2nd depending on how things go in LA.

It's really not at all a genius move by LA with bishop being a UFA they likely get 8-10 starts out of him instead of spending valuable cap space and assets in their offense which has been awful. While they were getting .917 goaltending out of budaj. .. which was solid enough.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Budaj may also fit into TB's plans as their #2 going forward.... plus he gives them a guy that they can expose to Vegas if they resign him (I'm not sure if Gudlevskis would qualify though... so maybe they're already covered?)

Bolts were never going to resign Bishop, and there isn't a huge market for rental goalies... so this seems to be an okay return for a guy that was going to be gone after another 22 games.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Expiring contract, Tampa's season is done, Vasilevskiy is the goalie of the future, weak trade market, Vegas expansion draft...there's a lot of factors. Pick any of them.

It stinks for Budaj, who had finally worked his way back into the NHL as a credible goalie. He has been well-liked everywhere he's been as he has never been "the guy" for a team but instead the handy and capable backup. He saved the Kings season after Quick's injury, and this is his reward for it.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah, i thought Yzerman had more hockey sense than this!! This is a rediculous deal for them. They could have got more for Bishop than this. This is definitely a head scratcher for sure!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thorni2's Items on eBay

Budaj is a good #2 with his cap and they got rid off Bishop, win/win.