Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Marc-Andre Fleury... Trade, NMC, Expansion, etc

All the rumor mills point to the fact that Fleury is going to be traded at some point. Seems that it's unlikely it will happen between now and the March 1st deadline, more likely he'll be moved in the off season.

I realize that "they want me gone, so I want to go" is a sentiment that could come into play for him.... and the obvious desire to be a bonafide #1 goalie, but I'm surprised that his sticking with the Penguins, and essentially forcing their hand into keeping him as the #1 doesn't come up more. With the nature of his contract, and his No Movement Clause, he really does hold all the cards.

NMC means he can't be waived, so he can't be bought out. That's not an option (unless he waives).
    NMC means he can't be traded without his approval... so if he just says "no" that's not an option
    NMC means they MUST protect him in the Expansion Draft, unless he waives, so just being claimed by Vegas isn't an option.

Matt Murray, who the Penguins would clearly like to be their #1 goalie going forward, doesn't enjoy any of that protection.

Why hasn't more been made of this angle of the story? Am I out to lunch here? What stops Fleury from saying "nope, I'm not going anywhere" forcing the Penguins to expose Murray in the expansion draft, where he'd almost certainly be claimed ?

SCF Rewards
    Country

This was inevitable when Murray came in to replace Fleury. The way Murray played pretty well cemented Fleury"s future with the Pens. someone will pick him up as i believe he has a few more good years in him. However, i think his days as a bona fide #1 goalie are gone. He has 2 Cups, cant complain about that!! I have always liked him, his big smile & the way he played the game. He's a trooper in my books..

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I understand why Pittsburgh would want to move on from Fleury, and go with Murray for now and the future.

It's Fleury's NMC & the Expansion draft that makes me wonder what will happen....

If Fleury refuses to waive his NMC, Pittsburgh can't get rid of him, and they MUST protect him in the expansion draft. That would leave Murray exposed, and Vegas would almost certainly claim him

This was inevitable when Murray came in to replace Fleury. The way Murray played pretty well cemented Fleury"s future with the Pens. someone will pick him up as i believe he has a few more good years in him. However, i think his days as a bona fide #1 goalie are gone. He has 2 Cups, cant complain about that!! I have always liked him, his big smile & the way he played the game. He's a trooper in my books..

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

It's definitely an interesting situation, that's for sure. It would be weird seeing Fleury in any jersey other than a Penguins one. That being said, I would understand if Fleury wanted to stay in Pittsburgh throughout this whole thing, as he would need a perfect situation in order to accept a trade to another team.

And looking at the market for goalies, where would that fit be? Calgary? Dallas if they move one of their veteran goalies via trade if possible?

Would he even consider the idea of playing for the Golden Knights? That I'm not so sure of.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

PITT will send a Draft Pick probably a 1st Rounder to Las Vegas for future considerations (with the agreement that they don't select Murray in the Draft). I don't know if that is enough for LV to take a pass on him though. Might cost a little more. lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Personally, as a Caps fan, I hope Fleury stays in Pittsburgh! Regardless of what MVP voters say, Murray was the Pens' MVP last postseason, since they never would have gotten out of the first two rounds without him. And we have all seen what Fleury is like in the playoffs recently.

But there is a possibility both goalies stay. The Pens can protect both goalies, but that would restrict the number of skaters they protect, so they would lose a decent forward or Dman (again, good for the Caps). I see very little possibility that Fleury ends up in Vegas. McPhool is an idiot, but he aint dumb. He isn't going to acquire any old goalies unless it's just a backup to reach the minimum salary floor. Fleury cant be taken in the draft, and McPhee isn't going to trade for him and give away any assets to get and aging sieve that falls apart when he faces adversity (something that will happen a lot on an expansion team). Fleury only plays well when the team around him plays well, and that won't happen much in the desert.

There is always a possibility that Fleury gets traded at some point. NHL GMs do stupid things all the time. But if I was a GM, I wouldn't touch him. Dallas is out of the playoffs, so they aren't going to go after him. Elliott is playing much better in Calgary now, so there is no need for them to go chasing a goalie. Fleury isn't better than the #1 on any current playoff team, so teams would be stupid to go after him now, especially with his horrible contract. And any bottom feeder that needs a #1 would still have to overcome his NMC. Sure, he may want to go somewhere where he could play all the time. But when it comes down to it, players want to win. Would you rather be a backup in Pittsburgh (where you at least have a chance to win) or a starter in Carolina/Phoenix?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See navarrofat's Items on eBay

Fleury can't just decline any trade and force the Pens to keep him. He has a limited NMC. He submits a list of 18 teams he'd accept a trade to. Makes it harder for the Pens to move him but not impossible. They'd trade him for a bag of pucks if it means protecting Matt Murray.
    https://www.capfriendly.com/players/marc-andre-fleury1

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's true.... and 18 teams is enough that they might be able to find a trade partner. If I'm MAF though, these are my first 12:

Montreal
    Washington
    New York Rangers
    Los Angeles
    San Jose
    Minnesota
    Chicago
    Nashville
    Columbus
    Edmonton
    Anaheim
    Philadelphia

That's 11 teams that (IMO) wouldn't want him, and a 12th (Philly) that Pittsburgh wouldn't want to deal with.

Then it's just a matter of betting who would (or wouldn't) want him. Come up with 6 other teams that wouldn't want to take him.

Coming up with 18 teams that would be unlikely to even entertaining a trade for you shouldn't be that hard.

You're right though - it just makes it harder for the Pens, not impossible.

Fleury can't just decline any trade and force the Pens to keep him. He has a limited NMC. He submits a list of 18 teams he'd accept a trade to. Makes it harder for the Pens to move him but not impossible. They'd trade him for a bag of pucks if it means protecting Matt Murray.
    https://www.capfriendly.com/players/marc-andre-fleury1

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Quote Originally Posted by 30ranfordfan
    it just makes it harder for the Pens, not impossible

That's the beauty of the NHL and its astute general managers these days--there's always a way to make it happen. Teams that should be in salary cap hell somehow manage to get by every year with a loaded roster and are still able to add parts at the deadline. The numbers guys definitely earn their keep.

I don't think he gets moved at the deadline, but at some point between now and the expansion draft MAF will no longer be a Pittsburgh Penguin.

They may be the only team in the NHL, and someone can for sure correct me if I'm wrong here, that is going to be facing this very real problem. I mean, yeah, Dallas I'm sure is just soooo worried that they're likely to lose one of Niemi-Lehtonen the way they've played this year or that the Jets are panicking over losing one of their trio. But MAF's NMC really throws a spanner into things because no matter what, teams can only protect one goalie and they're mandated to protect him because of the contract.

Will be interesting.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Chicago Cubs Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @@BartenderRon47 COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I probably am. I don't follow the dollars and cents end much, but could Pittsburgh waive him for the purpose for a buyout? Or at least play dirty and imply it? Or is it too risky? I mean, it's risky doing pretty much ANYTHING in this situation, but there has to be some way something happens...
    Always looking for Senators cards! Must be a draft pick, or the card is identifiable as a Senators card before I want it!
    Until further notice, I ship on Mondays. Only day off, so only chance to get to the Post Office.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast